See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 June 2016 via mobile

Visited June 2015. The hot spring resort is located slightly outside the town center, but the resort provides with transport to the town if the guest requires and they will pick you up from the station if you arrive by train.

The whole resort is like a piece of art, so tastefully built with nice texture from the very old wooden furnitures. The room we reserved is a mixed style of modern and traditional with its own private hot spring which is heavenly!

The service level we talk about here is out of the world. They pay attention to every details. They even get me a birthday cake when they notice it's my birthday during my stay.

As with most of such resorts, dinner is served in your room, course by course and it was fabulously cooked with the freshest ingredients from the season.

Yes it is pricy, but it's such a wonderful experience if you want to experience the traditional ryokan. Couldn't express how much I love this zen, peaceful resort. If you want a room, it is recommended to book in advance, as they don't have many rooms like those big hotels and the demand is high.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank SILW
Reviewed 30 March 2016

We were able to stay at Sanso Murata for one night. We were able to get the Showa Besso. Basically, it was a huge Showa-era built house that was brought from Tohoku region. It really did seem like a waste for us since this house could have fit easily 5-6 guest, but there were only two of us. Once we arrived at the front, the staff carried our bags and parked our car for us.
The room was immaculate. Westerners may not like ryokan in general b/c they don't care for the 'old' look and smell of ryokan, but I take in every bit of it. Showa besso has its own onsen. It was nice to have the accessibility of the onsen in my own bathroom!

Dinner and breakfast was had at the main building. We had our own dedicated server who provided us dish after dish of local specialty foods. Seki-saba for example was offered on an immaculate platter.

What was most interesting was we heard from several room away a baby crying. A minute later, we saw a staff person carrying the baby in a baby bjorn trying to comfort him/her. We first thought it was a staff's kid. We don't mind kids at all. However, come to find out it was another guest's kid that the staff was trying to soothe so that the parents could have a meal in peace and quiet. Talk about service!

After dinner, we went back to the room for a soak in the onsen and then went back to the in-house bar. It was very spacious. Maybe 20-30 seats with two bartenders. Ordered some Yamazaki 18 year and Hakushu 18 year. These are some expensive Japanese whiskeys, but got to try them.

This is not a cheap place to stay, but if you want a top notch ryokan, Sanso Murata is the place to go!

Room Tip: Ask if they can make you extra onigiri from any extra rice you have from dinner.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roikiller
Reviewed 15 February 2016

Mortgage your home and spend one night to experience the best onsen ever. The room, service and food are without doubt the best I have ever experienced. This is not a cheap Ryokan but if you can justify the expense treat yourself to real luxury. All the villas have a private onsen and offer either western beds or Japanese tatami rooms. You can select your room from the website with pricing dependent on room size and number of guests in each villa.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Pjacko
Reviewed 9 January 2016

Ryokan is built inside the mountain. We only stay one night. 3 persons staying at a 8 pax guest house - the house is converted from a 100 years+ farm house. Very luxury but it was the only one left for that night. Has its own Japanese coal burning fire place and also own private hot spring. Delicious diner and breakfast (both Western and Japanese) served in a private room inside the main building. Can preorder their famous B-speak egg roll upon arrival.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 November 2015

This ryokan is one of the most beautiful I've been to (I've been to just 3 in all) nestled in a little village in the mountains. We stayed in a traditional cottage with all the modern amenities including a Bose player and heated toilet seats. The cottage was beautifully appointed with high ceilings and polished beams. The staff was professional and attentive. It was a bit challenging communicating with them by email --either they did not receive my mail or they did not understand my questions. Otherwise, though, they made you feel like an important guest.
I only had 2 disappointments: The onsen was not as hot as I thought it should be (the other onsens I've been to were hotter). And the food was not very impressive.
Otherwise, it was an enjoyable stay with the beds not too firm (which is a good thing) and the sheets very soft and warm. The pillow needed getting used to but I must say, it was the best sleep I had.
I especially enjoyed the collection at the museum owned by the ryokan. We only stayed one night, but I wish we did 2 nights instead so we could try the other restaurants in the place.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple