“A laid back, small and sweet island!”
Review of Shiraishi Island

Shiraishi Island
Ranked #2 of 33 things to do in Kasaoka
More attraction details
Owner description: Shiraishi, a tiny island with a population of 800 on the Seto Inland Sea, is only accessible by ferry.
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This little island is so warm and relaxing. I thought it doesn't really feel like you are actually in Japan when you are on this island. It has a distinct rustic atmosphere, and you can totally relax here. The beach is very nice, the locals are friendly and welcoming.
If you want to spend lazy, cozy days away from the noisy shopping malls, the crazy traffic, and want to just enjoy nature in a quiet, well hidden place, this is it.

1  Thank kyokushinkaratelady

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Shiraishi Island was a complete unknown quantity for us as we planned our honeymoon travels around the central south west of Japan. But it felt right to make the trip and I'm glad we trusted our intuition.

This place is beautiful!

Peaceful, social, laid back - definitely a different taste of Japan.

Touching base with Amy (expat) from Mooooo Bar was a great way to sort accomm and learn more about the culture of the island and its people. Finally we could share some stories and answer some of those questions that were rising from our travels in this amazing country. She organised a boat trip for us to see a bit of the Inland Sea and it was an amazing experience, extremely worthwhile, so inquire when you settle in and I'm sure they'll find the time to share themselves and their love for the place with you. Great people!

Shiraishi is a simple, quaint, honeymooner paradise with a rare mix of great Japanese food, cocktails on the beach, an innate friendliness and sense of 'serenity' that was hard to find in the hustle and bustle of the mainland.

Its a must see... so plan it and do it - and have a Kahlua choc banana milkshake for breakfast... just because you can.

1  Thank Jedmeades
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This is my new favorite place in Japan. We brought our 2 young boys here for the weekend. Amy recommended we stay at the International Villa which was great. The porch overlooked the quiet sea and we were a very short , beautiful walk to town, beaches or hiking. The beach had a relaxed atmoshphere and my boys enjoyed the fishing which was only 500yen (including bait) for 1 hour. They caught plenty of fish to keep them busy. Everytime we walked into town we were greeted and welcomed by the friendly locals. The villa has no TV but we enjoyed doing puzzles, playing games or cards with our kids. The villa included bikes which were great but a little too big for our little ones so next time we will bring our kids bikes. I would stock up on food for them, the small convience store only had a few aisles and my kids havent really adjusted to Japanese food. My husband and I enjoyed the drinks and company at the Mooo bar along with a great lunch next door on the beach. I had the grilled catch of the day which was excellent along with fried vegitables which were to die for. My husband would like me to add, if you are a fisherman, this is your place, pack a beach chair , tackle box and have at it. Quiet and peaceful, I didnt want to leave.

2  Thank Ilovetotravel212
Reviewed 30 December 2010

It had two different aspects: casual bars on the beach, and small countryside island, which was perfect for me. (note, nothing fancy or sophisticated)
we climbed to one of the small mountains on a beautiful day.
The town part was a little like a labyrinth with narrow paths. The local people made a bow to us whenever I saw them.
We settled at "the other" bar and enjoyed the evening and the sunset with beer. The foreginers were at the mooo bar. "the other bar" is popular to Japanese yahting pepole.
I was a little concerned what the local felt about the noise those young foreigners made at midnight. Anyway I hope they also contribue to the local economy.

3  Thank yoko_mo
Reviewed 28 November 2010

Shiraishi Island's my favourite place in the whole of Japan - it's just the perfect escape from the rat race. Its location, far off the beaten track, means it offers unparalleled opportunities to escape from it all and get back in touch with a simple, honest way of life surrounded by stunning and invigorating nature. You can enjoy cocktails on a sun-drenched beach, seaside sports, traditional Seto Inland Sea cuisine and lodgings, and even a hiking trail around 88 mini temples and one huge, glittering temple complex boasting a range of South-East Asian influences. Be sure to make it up to the observatory at the top of the hill for breathtaking views of the island chains set against the brilliant cobalt blue of the sea. The friendly and super-helpful locals are well used to foreign guests and have none of the hang-ups or pretensions of modern city-dwelling folk. Its quiet and tranquil atmosphere belies an action-packed realm of possibilities - I've been there countless times and am still finding new layers to the place. Come prepared for lack of modern conveniences: bring plenty of cash as ATMs are almost non-existent and credit cards aren't accepted (as far as I'm aware). Accommodation is clean but very basic and there's a limited choice of places to eat - this is the polar opposite of some '5-star luxury hotel and spa resort' scenario, but 100 times as refreshing precisely because it's so stripped down. Time slows to a standstill as the cares and concerns of the modern world melt away, and you find yourself surrounded by warm friends - you can truly talk to anyone and have a great time. Come with an open mind and truly rediscover yourself. Open May to October.

1  Thank WorldFamousJH