“Soulfood! Amazing place and scenery!”
Review of Iya Onsen

Iya Onsen
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Sometimes you just feel that you hit the jackpot in your search for hidden treasures! Iya Onsen is one of them. I really recommend to book the room with open air bath. Then it's just you, the bathtub/shower and nature. A fantastic experience. The food is also amazing. For us it was probably the best meal we had in all of Japan! They take you on a journey of local and traditional courses. We stayed three nights and had the pleasure to try three different menues. The onsen is also amazing. You have to go by cable-car from the hotel. This is steep but no problem. The private onsen is really nice. Wow! I miss this place allready!

All reviews

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

房間很寬敞,佈置整齊,甚至有一台電動按摩椅,太棒了。衛浴間面向山和森林,落地玻璃窗,風景很好。
露天溫泉在山腳的河邊,很美,坐免費的電車幾分鐘便到。
位置有點偏僻,但停車場免費,建議開車去。服務和餐點俱佳。
The room is spacious and well decorated. An electronic massage chair is available inside the room. The bath is facing the mountains and forest. The outdoor spring bath beside the river is fantastic. You have to take a short "mountain tram" ride to get there. Food served was great too. Highly recommended.
Free car park is available. The location is kind of remote. Suitable for driving travelers. The road is rather narrow with slope and I went there during the rainy season. Be careful when you drive.

Reviewed 4 December 2017

Check the sunset time. Arrive 1.5hour before sunset. It is saver to drive the narrow road with sunlight. It is better to soak in the open air bath before sunset. Stay two nights will give you better chances to see the scenic view of the area.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

The outdoor onsen is stunning. but you needed to take a tram to go there after shower... it was quite a unique experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2017

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night during our Shikoku vacation. We really splurged on an open bath suite as it was the only really pricey place we stayed during our 4 week Japan vacation and I have to say it was well worth it! Ideally we would want to stay 2 nights but we made the most of our stay by arriving just before check in time and checking out the next morning at 11am. We pre-booked the private couples onsen 2 times ( one session on the arrival day and another session the following morning after breakfast) One session is free of charge and the second session was approx 30$ US. I can vouch for the other reviews regarding the outstanding service and the elaborate dinner and breakfast included in your room rate. If you are on a budget I would highly recommend the lowest priced suites with shared baths as the common bath is a really nice onsen and in fact I only used our open air bath once and actually showered the next morning in the common bath as I wanted to experience the enclosed onsen. My wife and I both agreed that we would have had an equally enjoyable stay if we had downgraded to the most inexpensive room. I have to say the Iya Onsen and Shikoku were definitely one of the highlights of our 4 week vacation in Japan. I was second guessing our decision to rent a car and trek around Shikoku before we left for Japan as there are other " remote " areas we could have visited in Japan, but I have to say it was well worth the extra planning. One tip I want to pass along for visitors driving is that the winding rural route # 32 is definitely a white knuckle experience especially the portion north of Ikedacho Toge ( # 32 between Ikedacho Toge and Muragame) and I'm an experienced driver. Some sections resemble a narrow dirt path with no guard rails overlooking a ravine drop of 50 meters plus. My wife was so nervous that she did not want to take the old portion of # 32 north of Ikedacho Toge so on our return trip we took the long way and used the toll express route to go back to Muragame. ( take newer portion of # 32 to Oboke and then continue south west to Kawaguchi to enter the toll expressway ) The total travel time is actually comparable to taking old # 32 but the drive is much easier and less stressful on the expressway and the toll fee was only approx 12$ US. I'm actually surprised that the Japanese government hasn't closed off the old portion of # 32 as I can see how some tourists could really get in to trouble on the most narrow / remote parts north of Ikedacho Toge.

1  Thank davidli