All reviews father and son the river the bus japanese style location is beautiful after a long day stayed here for nights family run the owner stay there again breakfast and dinner stop onsen accommodation nature meals bath
Reviewed 24 November 2015 via mobile

Ichiban, this is what I would describe this hostel.
For this price, I got more than I should.
The kind and friendly host provided me many useful information and was so considerate and spoke good English, comparatively in japan.

Its a family run hostel and you would feel the warmth here. The food was not Japanese style but fusion and it was delicious. The host asked me what you prefer to eat. He knew I was hungry and called me the dinner would be served early for me.

It was amazing stay. A place must stay when you visit wakayama.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank Comie H
Reviewed 18 May 2015

We visited Kawayu in January when an area of the river is turned into a giant rotemburo (dubbed the seninburo by the local tourist association). Given the January chill it was perfect to be just across the road so that we could enjoy our evening and morning bathe without getting too cold on the way back to our accommodation. Our rather comprehensive Australian bathing wear of rash vest and board shorts (to protect us from the sun) proved a welcome barrier against the chilly night air. If you have a western build I recommend taking your own big towel. The thoughtfully provided outside slippers were just what we needed for going across to the river. As usual there were inside slippers as well and as usual the men in our party found them a bit small. There are also two beautiful stone clad baths in Ashitanomori for the use of guests and we very much enjoyed these also. They can be booked for a family bath rather than only being available on a gender segregated basis. The family who run Ashitanomori were friendly and helpful. I especially liked the little apple rabbits in my salad as did the grandchildren. Our youngest grandchild was very taken with the mandarins which were delicious and judging by what I say in the gift shop may be a product of the region. The toilet and handwashing facilities were shared but had easy access and were easily shared by the small number of guests. The rooms were simple and comfortable. An outdoor drying area was another welcome convenience. The parking area out the front was very convenient and given that Kawayu is not on the train line, necessary for many visitors. The staff of Ashitanomori also kindly helped us with parking and exiting safely. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend taking the trip to this slightly out of the way area for its beauty, hot springs and a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank alisonsw
Reviewed 17 April 2015

The service here is impeccable. When we arrived we were carefully guided into the tight parking spot by staff who had been obviously awaiting our arrival. We were greeted into the pension with traditional tea and biscuits while our luggage was whisked away up to our room and the second car load of our party was helped into their parking bay. One of the owners was sitting with a solo hiker (the only other guest the night we were there) offering him advice and friendly company.
Our four bed bedroom was spacious with a view over the river (they all have one) and the pension provided towels and Crocks/sandals for use down at the river. There are common toilets and a three vanity room for teeth brushing etc, with two onsen baths on the half floor between the foyer-come-restaurant-come-shop on the ground floor and the accommodations upstairs.
Even without the river just across the road the baths would have made this a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The river however makes this special place exceptional.
And then the staff of the pension take it to another level again. They were friendly and exceptionally accommodating of our needs including preparing three separate and delicious dinners and breakfasts despite there being only three or four people on staff.
The food was fabulous with huge, hearty courses; fresh ingredients; and a touch of genuine desire to please.

Room Tip: Its pick of the draw but every room is fantastic.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank dtruslove
Reviewed 22 March 2015

My group of 8 people just received the best service and hospitality duirng our stay (checkin 14 Mar 2015) at this fantastic and cosy Lodging. The room were beautifully kept and clean with a great view of the River from every room, a great quiet place surrounded by mountains and nature. There are 2 private free onsen inside the cottage and you do not need a reservation. Kazuhiro-San and his family runs this FANTASTIC cottage of 6 rooms, His father is very kind and thoughtful, service was superb and the food was awesome. Hope that I will get a chance to stay there again. in the mean time,
どうもありがとうございます to kazuhiro, his family and staff.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great with a river view
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Burpss
Reviewed 9 November 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Ashitanomori end of October. We wanted a quiet place surrounded by nature to end our stay in Japan and we were rewarded with out choice in Ashitanomori at Kawayu Spa. Firstly the hospitality and feeling of welcome shown to us by the owner Kazu-san and his family was wonderful. His dad is a real gem .. really looked after us including driving us to trail heads on the Kumano Kodo .. nothing was too much trouble.. very clean and comfortable lodging (beds were a bit hard but that's standard in Japan).. breakfast and dinner were delicious with very generous servings .. amazing being able to sit in a natural hot spring bath on the rivers edge then plunge into the river to cool off .. also it was lovely to fall asleep with the sound of the river flowing outside the window .. at the end of our 4 day stay I was reluctant to leave.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple