The Plaine Guesthouse
US$182
TripAdvisor
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa(Hinton Charterhouse)
US$220
US$202
Agoda.com
Travelodge Beckington(Beckington)(Great Value!)
US$56
Travelodge
The Woolpack Inn(Beckington)(Great Value!)
US$95
Hotels.com
US$96
US$82
US$147
Premier Inn Frome Hotel(Frome)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$148
US$134
Swan Hotel(Bradford-on-Avon)
US$92
All reviewsgeorge inncomfortable roomfamily roomplagebath
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Arrived here whilst on a road trip to Longleat with my six year old daughter.. As I was staying in different hotels each night, I wanted to incorporate a couple of period character properties.. Although the village looks lovely and is dominated by the historic George Inn, it is very very busy with traffic .. The plaine is located right on the crossroads and we were put in the ground floor room on the front which, although clean and well presented with a four poster bed, had a major noise issue not unlike sleeping in a caravan next to a major intersection.. I had to draw the curtains immediately as what with there being no footpath outside the room, vehicles waiting at the junction were literally inches away from the window.. I could even hear what music some we're listening to.. Traffic is still sporadic throughout the night and gets heavy early morning.. I ended up doing a 'top cat' and using some tissue as earplugs which seemed to do the trick, and my little one seemed to sleep ok..

Steph the host, was friendly and welcoming enough, and I do think she try's to help. I also made a mistake on the list she gave me for breakfast by ticking just one column, thinking it would apply to both of us, but only one cooked breakfast was provided and I let my little one eat most of it, although Steph asked if everything was fine and if there was anymore she could do, I felt a bit embarrassed to explain in front of other guests..

Could not get Wifi in the room either and had to use free hotspot wifi ...not sure why that was, but my little one was still able to FaceTime her mum either way..

I hate leaving negative reviews unless totally justified, and this isn't by any means the worst place to stay, but I was personally a little disappointed as I expected a more sleepy village.. I know Steph can't do anything about that, but I think maybe the prices should be lower to reflect this, especially depending on the room.. Lovely quiet park around the back of the George however..

Room Tip: Bring some ear plugs just in case you're in the front ground floor room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank darren b
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I do not reccomend the Plaine at all. Noisy road, unconfortable old beds, slow at breakfast (and not everything warm).

Travelling with friends, we spent one night at the Plaine, hoping to enjoy our stay out of the city. So we booked a triple room for one night.

The first disappointment came when we discovered the B&B is on the main road of the village, that holds a lot of traffic (including trucks) from 5.00 am till 11.00 pm. It was really noisy and definitely we did not get the taste of the countryside.

The second (and most relevant) negative point was the quality of the room for 3 adults. Appart from the bathroom being too small, the extra bed was really unconfortable. I could not sleep on it (springs too deformed and matress too thin, so I could feel perfectly the metal bars), so I ended up on the floor. Kids may not complain for bed like that one, but adults, we do. The owner should have never taken 3 adults on a room like that one (and charge for the extra adult).

On the next morning, the breakfast took too long (only one person preparing all the breakfasts), toasts got in too cold, coffee was awful.

Room Tip: Not a room near the main façade. Never a triple room or an extra bed. Never paying for an extra adult. I just would not reccomend it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alba B
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Cannot recommend this B&B highly enough, great location in a beautiful small village surrounded by traditional historic village pubs. Stephanie made us feel very welcome from the start, funny and kind yet appreciated our space. Breakfast was great and no issues with parking. We were attending a wedding at Wick Farm which was a 2 minute drive. Very happy guests indeed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We enjoyed staying at the Plaine. The hosts are terrific and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Once you find it, it's easy to park. The pub with the longest running liquor license is across the street and has delicious food. The breakfast in the morning is well worth it.

We spent a day at Stonehenge and Bath from there and it was easy driving distance.

The only thing that was troublesome was the wi-fi connection, which did not always work; it was on and off.

Room Tip: We had 5 of us traveling--we had the 4 post bedroom for my husband and me and the room across the hall was a triple for our three young adult children. The set up was great and the kids had a great bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at the Plaine Guesthouse for 2 days, 2 adults with one child. FIrst hand impression is very positive and the warm velcome and the atmosphaere is super, and it was the same during the whole stay. The rooms af comfortable and the beds are good. Breakfast is very good.

Only downside is a little traffic noise during the mornings.

We can highly recommend this place and we will be happy to vist the Plaine again.

Tina & Henrik, Denmark