“Excellent - the cottages look like the photos on the website”
Review of Withy Mills Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Timsbury
Withy Mills Farm
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We didn't want to stay in Bath or Bristol so this was perfect.

LOCATION: Just outside a large village called Timsbury Bottom. I wouldn't say that the village is particularly attractive as it has a mismatch of houses including ugly 70s ones. It does have two local shops including a Co-op with parking behind. I did set my Sat Nav to Co op Timsbury Bottom so that I didn't get lost getting there.

The cottages are 5 miles from Bath so we used the cottage as a base to drive towards Bath (using the Sat Nav again) which took us passed Odd Down Park&Ride where we parked the car and got a bus into the centre of Bath (£3.20 each mid-week, £2.50 weekend - you pay on the bus)

The Sat Nav was used to get to the cottage and it did indeed; bringing us to the turning with Withy Mills Farm sign and a drive down a pot holed one track road. The only improvement, apart from the track, would be a sign as to where to park when you arrived as it is either straight on in front of the cottages or a right turn and I think lots of different people arrived in their cars at the same time and we all got it wrong.

You will however, go WOW as the cottages are nestled in a lovely area.

THE COTTAGES: There are three cottages in one line (Engine House - the smallest, Wharfinger - middle one and Whippletree cottage - the biggest at the end)

I think the thing to say is that the cottage inside and outside look like the website photos ( I have been to many cottages where the cottage is a tatty run down version of the glossy website photos but not here.)

WHIPPLETREE COTTAGE: We loved this. It has a wood burning stove, fridge, dishwasher, hairdryer and tea/coffee/sugar is provided. There are two rooms, one of the Mezzanine level upstairs and one on the ground floor (it can be either a twin or a double). There is one shower room with an electric shower and a TV/DVD machine so bring some films along to watch.

The front of the cottages overlook the farmhouse and courtyard (and chickens!) and the rear over fields. Each cottage has a terrace area where you can sit outside with a glass of wine and watch the sun go down.

A basket of wood is provided with the wood burning stove and another can be purchased for £5. You can also buy the farm eggs. We missed the farm tour so organise this well in advance not on the day as we tried to do as the farmer was out. The scones and cream on arrival are very welcomed.

It is very very quiet - although the other two cottages were occupied we didn't hear a thing. We loved it so thanks.

Room Tip: Whippletree is the largest cottage
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Catherine_London

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked the engine house for a weekend break for our tenth wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. The cottage was beautiful, well thought out and with everything you could need. Nice touch was the scones, jam and cream provided there waiting for us. Loved the mezzanine level bedroom and the enormous bed was amazing! Free wifi and lots of info on the surrounding area provided. Unfortunately I had just fractured my elbow and had a large cast on so we were unable to do many of the activities we had planned - this just meant we spent more time relaxing at the cottage :) we lit the wood burner every day - not because it was cold, just because we loved the idea of it! Went to the King William pub for Sunday lunch as recommended by Debbie which was very nice. Highlight for somewhere to eat though was Sotto Sotto in Bath - book well ahead though! All in all we loved it here and have already recommended it to friends.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynandphil
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We booked this accommodation (Whippletree cottage) Friday to Monday for 4 of us on the strength of the trip advisor reviews. We were definitely not disappointed. The cottage was lovely, very clean, and better than expected and the beds were very comfortable. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great (showery) and a little cold in the evening so we used the wood burning fire which was very easy to light and gave out tremendous heat making the cottage more cosy. The location is so peaceful, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this accommodation and hope to return in the future, and maybe try one of the other cottages if there is only 2 of us. Loved it !!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Staymag
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Absolutely perfect. The hosts were amazing, there to welcome us on arrival and then left us to it for the rest of the trip.
We did Friday - Monday and I can honestly say that on the last day we woke up so miserable at the thought of having to go home. We both wanted to stay forever! It was just perfect. The cottage is lovely, a brilliant base for what we did.
On the Friday, upon arrival we went to a local pub for dinner. It was ok, but we didn't mind, we just needed to eat something after travelling. Then it was back to the cottage to take advantage of the whirlpool bath which was the selling point for Wharfingers Cottage to us!
The bed was extremely comfortable with good quality bedclothes, and a very decent night's sleep.
Saturday was a day of shopping and sightseeing. We did the Roman Baths which were good, and then shopping which was heaven for me!! All the shops you could possibly want, all in a lovely setting and the weather was perfect, which just topped it off.
Sunday we made use of the cottage more, we had a lie in and a nice cooked breakfast to start the day, then went into Bath and to the Thermae Bath Spa which I cannot recommend enough to anybody! It refreshed us and has beautiful views over Bath. Then it was back to the cottage for dinner outside and to watch the sunset. This could not have been a more perfect moment, wrapped in blankets and cuddled up outside watching the sun set over the stunning views.
The cottage itself has everything you could need. The only thing I felt was missing was a full length mirror, but really not the end of the world.
The kitchen has everything you need, even down to kitchen roll, foil and oil for example, meaning you don't have to shell out to buy these non-essential items.
Extremely clean throughout. Underfloor heating was lovely. We didn't need to use the fire as the weather was so pleasant, which was a bit of a shame because I was looking forward to a roaring fire! But there's always next time.
I would just really like to say, that I cannot recommend this place enough. This was my first weekend away with my new partner, and my first break away in 3 years, and I have to say, I couldn't have asked for more.
The setting was beautiful, the cottage was lovely, and the hosts were brilliant. We will definitely be back, not sure if we might experiment a bit and try a different cottage or stay with the same one, but rest assured, we are coming back again and again!!
Two weeks on, I am still trying to deal with my holiday blues.
Perfect perfect perfect!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sophie H
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

I just came back from a 3 night stay in The Engine House with my husband and 9 month old daughter and i had a lovely relaxing stay that was exatly what we were hoping for. Waking up to the stunning views were incredible and we loved sitting outside with a nice drink to soak up the sun and scenery.

The cottage itself is not large but has everything you need and we never felt it was too small. The bath had a whirlpool tub which is amazing although a bit loud (when you have a sleeping baby). The kitchen is fully fitted and even has all the home comforts you need for home cooking like clingfilm, kitchen towels, all utensils and crockery! There is also a log burner but it was too hot to use (just another reason to come back in autumn) there are 2 leather sofas and a TV plus free WiFi. The King sized bed was so comfy it was hard to wake up in the
morning!

Small touches also make this place worth visiting such as scones with jam and clotted cream on arrival and the option of Fresh Farmed Eggs for £1 which were delicious (we even bought a pack to take home!) plus we asked for a cotbed which was provided for free! There is an information folder which has lots of info on things to do nearby.

We met Tom who was every inch the farmer we would have expected right down to the friendly conversationalist!! I only spoke to Debbie via email but she was very helpful and posted maps and information to us before arriving.

I wish we could have stayed a couple more nights but hopefully next time!!! Thank you guys for a wonderful stay we thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We hired all three cottages over the weekend of 10th -13th May as a base for our daughters wedding at Priston Mill . It was perfect in every sense . Debbie made sure everything was in place for the big day including a full length mirror ! The bridesmaids stayed in one cottage , our daughter in one and Mum and Dad with usher son in the larger one which also served as a brilliant base for visiting hair and make up plus for preparations on the big day . The large balcony area in the larger cottage worked really well as a dressing area. The cottages are in a very tranquil setting with superb views over the surrounding countryside . Woodburning fires and freshly made scones on arrival all made it a perfect choice for our special weekend .Thank you .

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank vic_baylis
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Visited the withy mills farm in march 2013. Booked as a weekend break for my birthday we booked the engine house and it was the perfect country break. The accommodation is of very high standard with everything you need. The little touches like foil and condiments in the kitchen make it feel like a home from home. Waking up in the morning to see the sun rise over the rolling hills was a beautiful sight. The bed was soooo comfortable and massive, was a joy to retreat to after a busy day pounding the streets of bath.
If you're wanting to explore bath centre then use the park and ride. Instructions of how to find this are left in a comprehensive pack by the owners. It's really cheap and saves on the parking charges of the city centre.
The owners are really friendly though unless you happen to bump into them they leave you to your own devices and are not intrusive at all. There's even a friendly farm cat who enjoyed a bowl or two of milk on our kitchen floor in between the rain showers!
If you're looking for a country retreat close to the sights of bath this is definitely the place.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty negotiating spiral staircases choose one of the other cottages on the farm
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Summer_sun28

Been to Withy Mills Farm? Share your experiences!