“Peaceful Retreat”
Review of Withy Mills Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Timsbury
Withy Mills Farm
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Whipple Tree Cotage at Withy Mills Farm is ideal for a couple or small family. Absolutely everything is provided in this cosy, comfortable and very clean holiday home. The warm scones on arrival, the generous supply of tea, coffee, etc and the huge basket of logs for the woodburner, all help to make for a very warm welcome. The cottage is tastefully furnished and decorated; bedding and towels are top quality. This is a great find and we will be recommending to our friends.

Room Tip: All cottages have lovely views over open fields.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Located in a village Timsbury Bottom, a few miles away from Bath, Withy Mills Farm offers accommodation of a high standard.

The cottage (Engine House) is beautiful, with tasteful décor and good-quality equipment and nice bathroom. We had everything that we needed and yummy scones were waiting for us on our arrival, which was lovely.

I got engaged there so I will always keep warm memories of Withy Mills Farm. Would love to go back there one day.

Room Tip: I stayed there with my fiancée and the Engine House seemed to be perfect for one or two couples.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed in the Engine House. Was absolutely lovely place with a great fire, and really warm during winter nights. The cottage is very well equipped with all the mod cons you expect and at the same time it has a really nice character feel to the accommodation. Also cannot speak highly enough of Debbie who went above and beyond my expectations for customer service. The location is great too, just a few minutes drive to Bath but still in a quiet, beautiful and tranquil location.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug M
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We didn't want to stay in Bath or Bristol so this was perfect.

LOCATION: Just outside a large village called Timsbury Bottom. I wouldn't say that the village is particularly attractive as it has a mismatch of houses including ugly 70s ones. It does have two local shops including a Co-op with parking behind. I did set my Sat Nav to Co op Timsbury Bottom so that I didn't get lost getting there.

The cottages are 5 miles from Bath so we used the cottage as a base to drive towards Bath (using the Sat Nav again) which took us passed Odd Down Park&Ride where we parked the car and got a bus into the centre of Bath (£3.20 each mid-week, £2.50 weekend - you pay on the bus)

The Sat Nav was used to get to the cottage and it did indeed; bringing us to the turning with Withy Mills Farm sign and a drive down a pot holed one track road. The only improvement, apart from the track, would be a sign as to where to park when you arrived as it is either straight on in front of the cottages or a right turn and I think lots of different people arrived in their cars at the same time and we all got it wrong.

You will however, go WOW as the cottages are nestled in a lovely area.

THE COTTAGES: There are three cottages in one line (Engine House - the smallest, Wharfinger - middle one and Whippletree cottage - the biggest at the end)

I think the thing to say is that the cottage inside and outside look like the website photos ( I have been to many cottages where the cottage is a tatty run down version of the glossy website photos but not here.)

WHIPPLETREE COTTAGE: We loved this. It has a wood burning stove, fridge, dishwasher, hairdryer and tea/coffee/sugar is provided. There are two rooms, one of the Mezzanine level upstairs and one on the ground floor (it can be either a twin or a double). There is one shower room with an electric shower and a TV/DVD machine so bring some films along to watch.

The front of the cottages overlook the farmhouse and courtyard (and chickens!) and the rear over fields. Each cottage has a terrace area where you can sit outside with a glass of wine and watch the sun go down.

A basket of wood is provided with the wood burning stove and another can be purchased for £5. You can also buy the farm eggs. We missed the farm tour so organise this well in advance not on the day as we tried to do as the farmer was out. The scones and cream on arrival are very welcomed.

It is very very quiet - although the other two cottages were occupied we didn't hear a thing. We loved it so thanks.

Room Tip: Whippletree is the largest cottage
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Catherine_London
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked the engine house for a weekend break for our tenth wedding anniversary and were not disappointed. The cottage was beautiful, well thought out and with everything you could need. Nice touch was the scones, jam and cream provided there waiting for us. Loved the mezzanine level bedroom and the enormous bed was amazing! Free wifi and lots of info on the surrounding area provided. Unfortunately I had just fractured my elbow and had a large cast on so we were unable to do many of the activities we had planned - this just meant we spent more time relaxing at the cottage :) we lit the wood burner every day - not because it was cold, just because we loved the idea of it! Went to the King William pub for Sunday lunch as recommended by Debbie which was very nice. Highlight for somewhere to eat though was Sotto Sotto in Bath - book well ahead though! All in all we loved it here and have already recommended it to friends.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynandphil
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We booked this accommodation (Whippletree cottage) Friday to Monday for 4 of us on the strength of the trip advisor reviews. We were definitely not disappointed. The cottage was lovely, very clean, and better than expected and the beds were very comfortable. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great (showery) and a little cold in the evening so we used the wood burning fire which was very easy to light and gave out tremendous heat making the cottage more cosy. The location is so peaceful, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this accommodation and hope to return in the future, and maybe try one of the other cottages if there is only 2 of us. Loved it !!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Staymag
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Absolutely perfect. The hosts were amazing, there to welcome us on arrival and then left us to it for the rest of the trip.
We did Friday - Monday and I can honestly say that on the last day we woke up so miserable at the thought of having to go home. We both wanted to stay forever! It was just perfect. The cottage is lovely, a brilliant base for what we did.
On the Friday, upon arrival we went to a local pub for dinner. It was ok, but we didn't mind, we just needed to eat something after travelling. Then it was back to the cottage to take advantage of the whirlpool bath which was the selling point for Wharfingers Cottage to us!
The bed was extremely comfortable with good quality bedclothes, and a very decent night's sleep.
Saturday was a day of shopping and sightseeing. We did the Roman Baths which were good, and then shopping which was heaven for me!! All the shops you could possibly want, all in a lovely setting and the weather was perfect, which just topped it off.
Sunday we made use of the cottage more, we had a lie in and a nice cooked breakfast to start the day, then went into Bath and to the Thermae Bath Spa which I cannot recommend enough to anybody! It refreshed us and has beautiful views over Bath. Then it was back to the cottage for dinner outside and to watch the sunset. This could not have been a more perfect moment, wrapped in blankets and cuddled up outside watching the sun set over the stunning views.
The cottage itself has everything you could need. The only thing I felt was missing was a full length mirror, but really not the end of the world.
The kitchen has everything you need, even down to kitchen roll, foil and oil for example, meaning you don't have to shell out to buy these non-essential items.
Extremely clean throughout. Underfloor heating was lovely. We didn't need to use the fire as the weather was so pleasant, which was a bit of a shame because I was looking forward to a roaring fire! But there's always next time.
I would just really like to say, that I cannot recommend this place enough. This was my first weekend away with my new partner, and my first break away in 3 years, and I have to say, I couldn't have asked for more.
The setting was beautiful, the cottage was lovely, and the hosts were brilliant. We will definitely be back, not sure if we might experiment a bit and try a different cottage or stay with the same one, but rest assured, we are coming back again and again!!
Two weeks on, I am still trying to deal with my holiday blues.
Perfect perfect perfect!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sophie H

Been to Withy Mills Farm? Share your experiences!