“Wow! What a place!!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Southover

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
nuovo marchio vasca calda!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

samcrace
Essex, United Kingdom
“Wow! What a place!!”
Reviewed 29 January 2018 for a stay in January 2018

Absolutely stunning place! Every single one of us had an amazing time, and are looking into our return trip! Highly recommend a stay at Southover, you will not be disappointed!!

31 Jan 2018
Thanks so much! Makes it all worth while , I was feeling a bit down after a troll type review a couple of weeks agof weeks ago ! Welcome back anytime
Tarzee121
“Value for money”
Reviewed 24 January 2018 for a stay in January 2018

A group of 10 friends came here for a 2 night break in January. Overall we were happy with southover, it was easy to get to and in a lovely area right on the water. The house was nicely set out for large groups to socialise with a big square table and had a lovely large front decking and pretty wildlife. Hot tub is a nice touch, unfortunately it wasn’t warm enough the first night so we couldn’t use it, the housekeeper came to check on it the second day when it had finally reached the correct temp and kindly left a bottle of wine to apologise but we would of rather had the hot tub as that is one of the reasons why we booked the place. The single beds were very uncomfortable to sleep on and could do with being replaced, but my friends said the double beds were very comfortable so if you book try and get the doubles! Main bathroom was quite dirty and could do with a bit of updating where the floor is a bit mouldy. The boat was great fun and pretty easy to use, although the engine wasn’t as low as it should of been according to a local boatsman so maybe needs looking at? Overall good value for money break for a family or group holiday at the Broads, what would make it perfect is much more comfier single beds as this stopped me sleeping and cleaner main bathroom. Also owner was polite and easy to deal with.

25 Jan 2018
Thanks for your comments which I will take on board I’m going up myself next week and my wife and I will try the single mattress’s we have a mix of firm and soft at the moment, the boat outboard is adjustable and I’ll drop it down a notch, the bathroom floor has been remasticed since your stay we have a programme of rolling improvements and you are welcome to return
Angela H
sheffield
“Shocking MUST READ”
Reviewed 7 January 2018 for a stay in January 2018
people found this review helpful

I booked this for my family, 3 nights 2-5th Jan 2018 £944.00 so not cheap. My party consisted of me, husband 2 children aged 5 and 7 and my niece flew in from Jersey aged 25 so it wasn't a party break it was a chill.

I am trying to upload the pictures we have taken so you can see realty before you book. I am struggling to do this on this particular property as i have always been able to do this in the past with all my reviews i submit.

Not sure where to start with this but due to the owners rudeness with my complaints i need to share this terrible experience.

Before we left i had an e mail from Mr Smiley to say there had been a hide tide so we needed to take our wellies, it is the Norfolk Broads so naturally we had packed these. What Mr Smiley didn't say was to arrive wearing them because the front of the house is flooded and you cannot get to the house without walking through the deep water. when we got there we had to take shoes and socks off to walk through the cold water, this was not good for my elderly parents (the smell outside the house was also very offensive) The front of the house needs some real attention as it is nothing like the pictures. The decking is being renewed so some good but outside the front door very rotten. Gates and fence broken, outbuildings with broken glass, rotting garden furniture. Pictures again i have to show this.

Just before we arrived after a 4 hour journey Mr Smiley messaged to say the housekeeper had to leave due to her child being sick and would return at 5pm (this explains why the house was left in such a state) In the paper work you receive you will be told you have to arrive between 2:30-3 for boat instructions (legal requirement) or you will be charged again for the Housekeeper to show you how to use the boat. We were told the house was unlocked, when we arrived the door was locked? so in bare feet we had to search the outbuildings for the key which we found in the utility room. We eventually got in the house, on opening the door the fixture around the lock fell off,good sign of things to come. First thing that hit you was the damp fusty smell, this is why there are about 20 plug in air fresheners around the house (empty)

First bedroom on the right and 2 single beds, appeared ok but spotlights near the bed were in working order but exposed wires seriously exposed (i have pictures to share) The window over the bed was in need of repair as the blind blew open all night with the draft and the floor was dirty, the children's feet were black.

bedroom on the left, double bed but a small room which you can hardly move round, window in need of repair and broken picture frame on the wall. (its small things)

kitchen, quite spacious and had plenty of dishes etc but too many when you have to wash them before you start. The cupboard next to the oven was burnt and obviously i thought caused a risk as you could feel how hot the door got when the oven was on (picture to show) The fridge was good apart from the ice dispenser did not work, this was reported before looking at the reviews, the housekeeper said the previous guests did this but that was 2 year ago! Everything was old and very tired ( i felt like this when i left)
on the side there was 2 dish washer tablets and 1 spare refuge sack for 3 days and seven guest (not bad for £944.00) oh and a packet of digestive biscuits (thank you)

Bathroom - wow the smell fusty and damp, it really did have a bad odour. the radiators were dirty cracked and peeled so was the bath panel (pictures to show) The shower head holder was broken and when it fell off you could see the glue(pictures to show) The water was boiling, but this was not a good thing as it was instant and my youngest burnt her hand and i mean it was hot, no notices displayed to show this, again this is a health and safety issue. My daughter was later in there having a shower (would normally have a bath but water ran so brown) the shower head fell and sprayed her with hot water, she was traumatised and hurt by this.

lounge was spacious, 3 settees but unfortunately in need of replacement, one half of the settee was nearly on the floor so very uncomfortable especially if booking for 10.
There was a nice little coffee table so there was somewhere to put your cup of tea.

The view was lovely it is ideally situated but this was somewhat tainted by the windows being so dirty. TV fabulous, it came with plenty of remote controls so if you are lucky enough to find the right one and can work the TV you are in luck.

Massive dining table, but be careful as it bows in the middle, at one point i thought it was going to collapse. On the second day i set the table beautifully for a Christmas dinner and the middle just looked like it was going to give way, luckily we survived the lunch and after my husband tried to make the table safer (no thanks needed Mr Smiley)
Plenty of board games, jigsaws and cards etc but don't settle down to use any as they are all old and pieces missing, its like sitting down to watch a good movie and then suffering power cut right at the end.

please note 7 pm and no housekeeper had arrived yet!

settled down for the evening as it had been a long day, 4 hour drive so all a little tired.

Next morning still no housekeeper so messaged the owner, he came back quite prompt and said she would be there in 1/2 hour, not sure if she told him she was actually 3 hour late which ruined our plans for the day as we had to wait in for her.
When she arrived i was in the shower (the one that worked) she was there literally for 10 mins as she said she had to get back for her sick child. She showed my husband how to use the boat and then went. Excuse me housekeeper you forgot to test the hot tub? Mr Smiley said you checked it before our arrival, during and after, my husband said you didn't?

The following day we ATTEMPTED to take the girls out on the boat, it is dirty and the life jackets were dirty, ripped and zips didn't work. Mr Smiley said there are 25 to choose from (really)should we remove the ones that are health and safety risk? I am sure that boat needs to be checked as we drifted out then returned, it certainly is not as described.

On the last night the girls wanted to go in the hot tub (you may ask why when i can upload the pictures) my 2 children and niece went in there for about 40 mins, they enjoyed it. later that evening my niece was doubled over in pain, she felt sick? my 7 seven year old then just took herself off to bed which is not like her. a little time later my 7 year old came to me and said she felt sick, she vomited in the toilet and this went on for some time. A little later my 5 year got up and projectile vomited all over me, she then collapsed to the floor. All 3 suffering tummy pains and vomiting all after use of the hot tub. This went on all night, i e mailed Mr Smiley (would really like to meet him) to tell him this. The following day he put on my review that he received a drunken message and perhaps my children had been up late eating chocolate. Mr Smiley is lucky i did not ring him on the hour every hour because of how ill my children were and still are. We cleaned any mess up my children made as we found a broken mop in the outhouse but unfortunately the detergent cupboard wad locked so used what we could.

The house keeper didn't come anywhere near the house when we left, told we had to leave on time as next guest would be arriving (she was late) Only after my complaints to the owner in an e mail did he start to come back with nasty messages. He said we left it a mess? i have pictures how we left it. He said there was chocolate on a cushion. i went back to him and said this was a little vomit, it happened late at night so couldn't do anything with it but left it with all the dirty towels. Apparently she was un happy having to clean, but hang on we never used the 5th bedroom and we paid £80 for cleaning, not sure why she was upset she was there to clean? Apparently we were drunk because when she went to empty the clean items from the dishwasher (Mr Smiley said dirty) there was a wine glass, champagne flutes and a shot glass. I've had to apologise only the one shot glass was used by my little girls to rinse out their paint brushes as they were doing painting by numbers sat at the table. Mr Smileys response to this was 'what ever you used them for why should i pay to clean them' A gentle reminder of £80 here to clean, and we left the place immaculate, cleaner than we arrived (remember the housekeeper had to leave)
The 5th bedroom we could not use because there was no way of getting to it with the amount of flooding, he needs to sort out the decking so you can walk to the room in the dry. You would not want to walk out late at night knee high in water, so that room was left alone.

We booked that holiday home in good faith, the pictures on the web are stunning but reality is it needs a lot of money spending on it. It has so much potential but needs work. I suggested to Mr Smiley he needs to visit his rental home and his response was he lives mainly in France and also spends a lot of time on his boat. Well for what i paid i expected a lot higher standard and i have asked for a refund. This has caused him much upset and now i am receiving messages saying i am pushing my luck, i am making things up. I will be uploading pictures as this house needs health and safety check and massive deep clean.

As for today my children are still poorly and that's 3 days later, GP visit tomorrow.

also one bottled sample of the hot tub water being checked.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
9 Jan 2018
This lady threatened a campaign of bad reviews if I did not refund her £800 air B and B threw out her complaint as spurious she stayed for the whole of her booking without complaint to me , my housekeeper who called on the second day or the agents (air b andB I refused to pay her a bean and told her to do her worst basically she’s a troll.
Sarah B
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 28 November 2017 for a stay in November 2017

I had a great family holiday it was very relaxing everythink you needed was there the hot tub was great would recommend it to every one ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

30 Nov 2017
Thanks ! Nice to be appreciated !! You are very welcome to return
Linda A
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely location. Perfect retreat for large group”
Reviewed 1 November 2017 for a stay in October 2017

Roomy. 5 good sized bedrooms. Well equipped for10. Fabulous river view. Easy daytime walk to Wroxham walking past some fabulous properties but no street lighting for evening so had a taxi for great Halloween evening in The Shed. There is a short cut from here to house. The boat trip to Wroxham Broads goes right past Southover so nice to see from the river. Recommended. Didn't use hot tub but did go in boat. Hilarious trying to keep it straight! Make sure hot tub turned off at night very noisy in twin room. Did have a couple of problems which were dealt with by Robert via phone. We were a group of ladies of a certain age and had a great weekend at Southover.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
3 Nov 2017
Pleased they had a great time , I try to resolve any problem asap looking at relocating hot tub in off peak time (overwinter) they were perfect guests and are welcome to return
Mark L
Northallerton
“Lovely waterside cottage for a large family”
Reviewed 23 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

Lovely 5 bedroomed house on the water with its own balcony, boathouse, boat, canoe, kayak and hot tub! Morning breakfast enjoyed on balcony with herons, boats and ice cream boat passing by! Nice big open-plan kitchen / dining / lounge area for up to 10 people. Little bit of tlc needed (e.g. give the boat a clean (man at pub complained!), new pictures on walls, smarter outside furniture, tv signal in annex) but these did not spoil a great location for a lovely family gathering. Thank you!

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
24 Apr 2017
Adding more garden furniture and having TV made easier re adding a splitter and looking for new puctures . Thanks for your comments and pleased you had a good time regards robert
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

1 Apr 2017
Thank you for your fantastic review ! Hope to see you back soon!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing