“small but comfy and convenient”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Star Cottage

A view of Star Cottage from outside
General view of the lounge showing the real Oak floor and furniture, and the leather sofa Another view of the comfortable lounge
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
A view of Star Cottage from outside
Another view of the comfortable lounge
A view of the lawns and river from the lounge. (The furniture and TV etc has since been updated).
General view of the main bedroom, with double bed
The second bedroom, with two single beds
The bathroom, with full-size bath and electric shower over
View of the kitchen (note: sofa in the foreground has since been updated)
Another view from outside, showing the lawns. The river is behind the photographer
Floorplan of Star Cottage
Aerial view of Star Cottage, showing the superb riverside location in Wroxham
River trip boat passing Star Cottage
View of Wroxham bridge from the lawns in front of Star Cottage
General view showing a typical stretch of the Norfolk Broads
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Gemjd
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Waste of money and time”
Reviewed 16 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
people found this review helpful

Left early as the place was very dirty and wasn't cleaned prior our visit....wasted alot of money on this place. Very disappointed and upset the family, as my son wanted to enjoy his holiday but couldn't. The owner is very unresponsive.

21 Jul 2017
This upsets me greatly. It is simply, completely, demonstrably untrue to say that the cottage wasn't cleaned before the visit, and what's more, after having been contacted by the guest by email on a Tuesday evening I responded straight away (within perhaps 10 minutes) to arranged for an additional visit by the cleaning company first thing the next morning. Further, after having arranged for this personal visit, I then had multiple further conversations with the guest over the next couple of days - if that's regarded as being "very unresponsive" what else can I possibly be expected to do?

Regarding the cleaning issues - as I say, the cleaning company visited the property and apparently found the guest perfectly friendly and reasonable and after, having done an inspection with them present, it was agreed with them that no further cleaning was required. The guest then stayed for the full remaining time of their holiday, only to later contact me again requesting a refund - which I can only conclude that this was in fact the objective of the whole exercise from the beginning. As someone who tries very hard to satisfy guests and provide them with the best possible service you will understand how utterly galling this is, especially on this particular occasion when both myself and the cleaning company had already 'gone the extra mile' on behalf of this guest and been left with the impression that they were grateful and satisfied

Happy to provide any necessary copies of emails and the report of the cleaning company's visit!

Jeremy Arnold, owner of Star Cottage
Curiosity...
“small but comfy and convenient”
Reviewed 21 April 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Good location. It is within walking distance to the town and it is very convenient to take broads tour river trips and go to BeWILDerwood. The flat is small, but comfy.

John O
“Room with a view!!”
Reviewed 29 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

We booked Star Cottage way back in March 2016 after booking a restaurant for Christmas day lunch.
Being regulars on the boats on the Broads we wanted a riverside setting and the lovely lawned area on the riverfront was the main reason we chose the cottage. The close proximity to Hoveton Village was also beneficial.
We arrived on the 21st December as arranged at 15.00 hrs and wanted to leave after opening the hall door. The view out of the french windows was of a battle field!! We discussed walking away but this was not practical as we had driven 250 miles and had Christmas day arranged so after much discussion decided we would stay.
The owner, Jeremy Arnold, had advised us a few days before that he would be travelling to the cottage in the New Year to do some remedial work around the bath and wanted us to advise him of anything we spotted or thought a problem to allow him to attend to it. I therefore sent a photograph of the works ongoing outside the french window along with the pile driving of the new quay bank boards.
He replied he was amazed and did not know it had started. During the week we talked to other owners or lease holders and they advised they doubted that was true as they had been informed and advised their customers with the option to cancel or move. Starting such disruptive and noisy works several days before one of the high season periods makes no financial sense in my view and shows a total disregard for the customers.
I forwarded a few of the following items we noted but given there was no offer of any compensation coming forward didn't bother again.
1) The cooker extract doesn't work. We were advised it was not wired up only the lights of which one of the two worked.
2) The electric cooker top ring controls have no markings as to any settings and only 2 of the 4 "On" lights work. Dangerous in my view as they could be left on and things then placed on top including hands!
3) The sink tap has seen better days with the hot requiring a lot of pressure to stop it dripping and the cold requiring several turns before it will flow.
4) The microwave clunks and bangs when in use due to a wheel missing of the glass plate support.
5) The heating is supplied by fan heaters but the filters in the one by the hall door look as if they have never been cleaned and are restricting the air flow through the heater. Just hope it doesn't over heat.
6) Shame the armchair leather has been torn but we had furniture covers with us as we have a dog,
7) The flock effect wallpaper on the fireplace wall is dusty and dirty and needs a good cleaning.
8) The frying pans are in need of replacement especially the supposed non-stick that has been damaged over the years by the metal tools but these pale into insignificance when the oven tray is viewed.
9) The bathroom has absolutely no where to put anything. The only flat surface is the edge of the bath but looking at the mastic and mould may put you off. There is a glass holder which had a large glass balanced on top of it when we arrived. We swapped it for the correct one from the kitchen cupboard.
10) Bring wellies of there are going to be extra high tides as we had to paddle out of the car park on the Tuesday and it was in most of the day. Turned to ice the following morning when we left.
11) Be aware that if, like me, you sleep with the bedroom window ajar the metal plates on Wroxham bridge are noisy as the traffic starts to build up around 05.30.

Pleased to say that we still managed to enjoy our Christmas break to some extent but it was in no way thanks to the cottage which is a shame as it is in a great spot.

Your age range 65+
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
2 Jan 2017
Thanks for your review but it is extremely disappointing in the circumstances, and especially given the extensive and amicable communications I had with you and how you knew and fully understood that the work outside the cottages was both unexpected and nothing to do the the cottage owners - and I am just as unhappy about it as you were. I agree that just before Christmas is a strange time to start such works, but although we've know for some 5 years that the work might (or might not) eventually take place, we genuinely had no notification at all that it was due to start when it did. It obviously also affects all the cottages at Peninsula and not just my own. It will at least hopefully be fully finished in the next few weeks and everything will be fully back-to-normal for the 2017 season.

I take on-board the various comments about the cottage itself, although I have already addressed each of these as you know. Yours was the last booking of a busy year as you know, which was why I had asked if you wouldn't mind letting me know of anything which you thought needed to be improved - given that I'd actually requested this information privately I'm a little perplexed (and somewhat upset) that you would feel the need to then copy it into a bad review of the cottage on Trip Advisor! I assume perhaps this is related to your hints that you wanted some compensation for the landscaping work going-on outside - if so you should have mentioned when we had an entirely amicable chat on the phone whilst you were staying at the cottage - rather than waiting until after your holiday was over and broaching the subject for the first time by means of a public review on Trip Advisor. Again, as the cottage owner I feel very 'hard done by' here.

To future guests - please be reassured that I take great pains to maintain the cottage to the highest standard and that all the 'cottage' issues mentioned in this review are being or have already been dealt with. The landscaping outside will hopefully be finished soon (again, nothing to do with me..), and issues such as the bridge and tides are rather beyond my control too!

Many thanks, Jeremy Arnold, owner of Star Cottage
JohnBsTri...
Essex
“Great Views Of River and Wildlife”
Reviewed 15 November 2016 for a stay in November 2016
person found this review helpful

Had a 3 night stay which was booked as spur of the moment thing and was not disappointed with the accommodation. Great views along river and added bonus of wildlife right at your back door! Herons swans and geese regular visitors just outside french doors!
Bed comfy and plenty of towels are provided.
Parking right outside apartment too.

Derek J
“Property requires some attention”
Reviewed 1 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016
people found this review helpful

The water tank dripped all night and could be heard in the bedroom taps in kitchen and bathroom could do with new washers whe we arrived the bowl in the kitchen sink was full of water
Also work men staying in other cottages got up very early making quite a bit of noise waking us up.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
2 Jan 2017
Thanks for your review, and I have replaced the washers in both taps. The dripping water tank thing is actually because the toilet flush handle occasionally doesn't fully return after the toilet is flushed, which causes the water to keep running very slightly. Obviously you wouldn't have been aware of this (and I've only become aware of it myself since your review), but in fact all that is required is a jiggle of the handle!
kaydee712
Durham, United Kingdom
“Plenty to see”
Reviewed 21 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

We stayed for one week in mid September. The cottage is an end of terrace and was a little smaller than it appears in the photographs, but we managed ok.
Wroxham is a busy village with plenty of shops, cafe's and pubs so we were never short of things to do. The french doors look out onto a large grass area which is shared by the other cottages. Overall we had a pleasant weeks stay. On the negative side, the front door opens onto a covered porch and a raised pathway, there is no safety rail to stop anyone from accidentally falling about two feet to the gravel driveway. As it was September the sun was lower in the sky and never shone on the Grass area but it did at the front, it would have been nice to have sat on a bench by the front door to enjoy the sunshine. I wouldn't recommend for people with disabilities or families with young (toddler) children

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Stringeru...
“Happy holiday”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

After booking star cootage for a week in August for a surprise proposal to my girlfriend we have just returned home from a awesome week. The cootage it self is in a private estate with water surrounding the whole cootage. Even with a private car park with electric fob access. The cootage over looks wroxham broads right next to wroxham bridge and close to nolfork broads direct. We certainly enjoyed waking up to the beautiful scenery and geese and swans on the lawn just behind the cootage. We most nights sat in the evening in the garden for a drink or 2. We fed the geese and swans twice a day with bread with our little one who really enjoyed the experience.also a resident heron would be on the lawn most days. It was very tame as the residents fed him. The young boy fishing was catching small fish and feeding him. A great place to fish of your into that. I didnt do any fishing but wouldnt of minded having a go there after seeing everyone else doing it. The cootage is smaller than what we thought it would be. But is more than suitable for us. The living room is cozy and more and suitable for us. The kicthen is more than ideal. Has full utensils and cups plates etc. Cooker is fine..fridge freezer was a bit old. The frezzer is a bit rubbish didnt keep frozen stuff frozen. Yhe bedrooms are ideal and no problems I double comfy bed and plenty of storage space. The twin is the same as well. The bathroom consists of a toliet bath and in bath shower. This was very meesy when using the shower as water went every where even when using the curtain provided. The only thing we would say negative was that the area around wroxham was a bit run down. We eat from most places for dinner and didnt find up to standard we would prefer. I masive bonus is the shed 20 meters from the front door a quite pub with different ales and friendly service pool table darts.
Cootage 8.5 out of 10
Cleaning 6 out of 10
Location 9 out of 10
Would we stay again ? Yesssssssssss

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing