“Great Birthday Treat”
Review of The Walton Fox

The Walton Fox
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Embracing the rural charm of its tranquil, scenic setting, The Walton Fox offers a modern twist on traditional country pub dining. As well as offering a beer garden for enjoying summertime dining, the cosy dining room is filled with rustic original features and toasty fires for warming winter dining. Championing favourite British recipes, guests can enjoy evenings devoted to the inn's freshly-baked pies, as well as gourmet roast dinners and seasonal cocktail mixes.
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We had an excellent family evening meal & drinks at this unique hostelry. The service was very good (special thanks to Stephanie) with a great atmosphere & surroundings.
To be recomended especially for family gatherings or a special occasion.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We visit the Walton Fox from time to time and, each time we come, the wait for a drink at the bar is very long, perhaps a designated bar tender instead of all the staff trying to do everything? The Walton Fox is now part of a chain called Vintage Inns, so the menu is pretty standard pub grub, reasonably priced and served promptly. The staff always used to be very cheerful and pleasant, they seemed rather weary on our last couple of visits, which was a shame.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Been for a couple of visits now as the service is attentive and the food is lovely. They cater for children (their menu has things other than chicken nuggets and fish fingers which is refreshing!) and they have specials nights and email offers regularly.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We tried the Walton Fox following my wife's visit to another pub in the chain which provided a good experience plus the fact that we could get a discount of 25% via the gourmet diners card.

Not relevant to most people but, as my wife is disabled, it would have been useful if at least the bell on the rear door worked even if the door was not left open. It meant that I had to manhandle the wheelchair out of the car rather than my wife using her stick and walking in.

I will just say that the interior was not wheelchair friendly and leave it at that. The girl taking my order was obviously not fully trained as she had no idea what to do when I showed her the gourmet diners card nor how to amend the till when she put through a sauvignon blanc rather than a chenin blanc. Also, the chenin blanc was not good and so I asked her to open a fresh bottle. She insisted that she had only just opened the bottle. I then realized that the problem was that the wine had not been chilled. In fact all the staff seemed surly and demotivated. Possibly because there were not enough on duty.

I ordered the beef and merlot pie on my wife's recommendation but I found it to be bland and the meat texture almost like re-constituted beef. My wife commented that there was something in the beef mozzarella and beetroot salad that she did not like the taste of. It turned out to be the beef mozarrella which she thought was either poor quality or well past its best. No-one checked back to see if the meals were ok nor was my wife asked when she paid.

In future we will stick to the Poachers on the other side of the road.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The meal we had recently at this 'restaurant' was very bad. The chicken was not chargrilled but burnt and my chicken breast fillet came complete with bone.This was small enough to choke on but large enough that a decent restaurant would have found it.
The staff were surly and did not have a smile between them. This is the second time we have been disappointed with this 'restaurant', so now would never go again;once you could forgive but not twice.