“An excellent hotel for both business and leisure traveller”

Holiday Inn Express Preston South
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Bamber Bridge
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed for one night with the family on the way to Scotland. We booked two rooms which were both very clean and well prepared.

The hotel is a very modern HIEX and bears no relation to the HI in Preston. Although very busy, there is a big parking lot where one can safely park. Check-in was efficient, all directions and information were given by a courteous young receptionist. As an IHG Rewards member I had the privilege of free Internet, a welcome drink and a welcome letter!

The only 'let down' here is that the welcome drink was only for one person, where in every other IHG hotel it extends at least to my wife. But this was really a minor point.

Otherwise, I understand that there is an HIEX standard for breakfast (a common complaint here about the missing bacon) but I did not find the breakfast offered any poorer than anywhere else, and hey, if you want a richer breakfast you may just as well pay for it!

With regards to finding the hotel, I did not have any problem even if we arrived quite late at night. However, this may be just luck. Perhaps the management could consider a sign in the Bamber Bridge roundabout but again this would be just additional service, it is not really a "must".

A note to the traveller: Apparently, for safety reasons all plug switches are turned off when the rooms are cleaned. So if you try to turn on your TV, kettle or hair dryer and they do not respond, check the plug switches! Although some may find this annoying, it makes sense both from safety and environmental (energy saving) point of view.

Overall: A nice modern hotel very appropriate for any type of traveller.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Plenty of free parking.
Check in was a breeze with both desks open. The reception was very clean and pleasant.
The room was bigger than a normal HI Express room and had much nicer decor than you usually find.
Excellent standards of cleanliness!

The work area in the rooms was well designed with a big desk and a comfortable chair.
The best bit though was the bathroom. Usually HI Express have awful shower / toilet combination rooms. But this had a very nice proper bathroom, with a large double sized glass shower enclosure.
Overall very impressed for the price and I would certainly make this my first choice hotel if working in the area again. Perfect for work, not a romantic getaway though.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here with other family members for a week on holiday and really enjoyed our stay. Key things for me were:-

* Just off M6 and yet quiet - I like a quiet room and I requested and was given a top floor room.
* Abundant free parking
* For us breakfast was just right - not full English hot breakfast every day (which is too much) but
a great choice of cold and some hot items - always found a free table. Perfect.
* Friendly staff
* Free Wi-Fi though I did not need to use that - good choice of TV stations
* Well designed modern rooms with windows that open
* Good value
* Sainsburys incl petrol station just down the road

I cannot think of any negatives and I would visit here again and it has really good access to places in Lancashire and beyond. Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Me and my wife really enjoyed this nice hotel. Its simple but still its got everything you need. I know there was not that many meals to choose from, but we were very impressed of the steak and 8oz burger we had. Breakfast was okay, just like any other Expresses, except this ones got honey, we were way happy about that. Room was quiet and even though its near the M6, we could hear anything from the Motorway. In fact we even saw several rabbits back of the hotel which made us feel like we were at a really quiet place somewhere in the forest. Highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is one of the best HIE hotels I have stayed in, rooms are clean, if a little basic.Free WiFi in all areas, (it cost me £12.50 at a full facility HI in London) The public areas are smart and tidy and breakfast is fine though evening meals aren't up to much. Plenty of nearby food haunts on the A6. This hotels suits my needs perfectly and I would certainly stay here again. All in all this place is great value for money!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely clean airy hotel with pleasant staff. Easy found from the M6. Great value for money. Only problem we had was a very soft bed with a roll together, woke up in the morning with a sore back. I'm sure bit all the beds are the same.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Great hotel

Impressive reception area. Corridors are well maintained and clean
Rooms are excellently equipped

My only negative would be after service. I emailed the hotel as I left a couple of items in the room. They did not reply. I then rang reception only to be told the items weren't there. As one of the items was a mobile phone charger I feel they just kept in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
#9 of 15 in Preston
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel
Premier Inn Preston South (Craven Drive) Hotel
Shaw Hill Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to Holiday Inn Express Preston South? Share your experiences!