Southdown Way Caravan and Camping Park
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Hassocks
See available hotels
The Bull(Ditchling)
Vinyard Lodge(Hassocks)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
The Birch Hotel(Haywards Heath)
View Hotel
All reviewssouth downsgreat sitecamper vanfire pitthe bank holiday weekendfridge and freezerwashing machinelack of hot watercleaned dailyunderfloor heatingtoilet and shower facilitieshighly recommend this sitetrain stationtoilet blockkept spotlessmain roadlong weekend
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was Our first visit here with a brand new never pitched tent (armature I know) and my first camp since the 90's. We arrived in the pouring down rain to a welcome warmer than I've received in some 5* hotels. We really felt look Ty bvvfed after and the lady/owner on reception couldn't do enough to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Everything we needed to know, ie, gate opening/closing times, utility room times etc was clearly explained to us before we pitched.

The site it's self was in excellent condition. It was clean and free of litter, the toilets, showers, utility room and wash area were immaculate. The waste, rubbish and water areas were all clearly labelled and easy to access.

We were in a non electric hook up tent pitch and the field was in a good condition with the grass recently cut. Our fire pit and logs were delivered to our pitch for us and even when we started setting up in the wrong part of the field, the owner was very nice when she had to tell us our error and even offered to help us move our half unpacked stuff.

As we were near a main road, traffic noise was to be expected but it was nothing major. I would happily stay here next time I camp in Brighton and would have no issues recommending this site to others.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank TMA1980
Gloria H, Manager at Southdown Way Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Awww thank you for your lovely review. You were lovely guests and will welcome you back. I m glad your stay with us was sa positive one and hope your long journey home wasnt to bad. Again thank you for your comment and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Angie x

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Arriving on the Friday of the sunniest Bank Holiday in May we were welcomed and shown to our site and advised of the facilities etc. Having been to sites around the country at a similar price, we were surprised to see the tent field un-mown & sodden with water and advised not to park next to the tent if we are coming and going. Given the glorious sunshine, this was not a problem after a days drying out.

We did bring along our in-laws dog for the first night which was not a problem and we paid the extra due. She ended up staying the 2nd night also which was also no problem.

I would note, each time we went to take a shower on our 2 night stay we were thwarted by 1) a power cut and 2) no hot water. This was soon rectified within 1/2 hour by putting the immersion on and the power cut was completely out of their control so no complaint here. The staff were very apologetic and kept us informed. These things happen.

The showers are pretty powerful even for me and there were a few children who found the ferocity too much to bear. I did find one of two showers a bit temperamental as to whether they would give you hot water or not but it was 28 degrees outside anyway!

On probably one of the busiest weekends of the year given the weather, the toilet/showers were clean but grass was inevitably carried in on boots. They do ask that boots are taken off at the door but they cannot be held liable for people not taking responsibility for themselves. The showers were clean and if you were not satisfied, the floor squeegy was at hand if you wanted to wipe down before and after. Nothing more than I would expect when you go camping. This is not a hotel.

We were surprised that the B road was fairly busy even late a night but it wasn't disturbing.

We would definitely return to this perfectly situated campsite with lovely staff and good facilities. Some improvement on the shower block might be needed to refine this otherwise well kept and managed site.

Room Tip: Bizarre question set, this is a campsite not a hotel?
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Gloria H, Manager at Southdown Way Caravan and Camping Park, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

e Thank you so much for your review. very fair with many points made and valid ones. The showers were due to be checked by our engineer who has told us what the issues are and so thats being addressed as we speak. When they work, they work well so we have addressed this issue. We appreciate constructive issues and feedback from our guests and the guests we had this weekend were delightful and great weather to go with it. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for your feedback it is appreciated.
Sherry A

Reviewed 20 April 2018 via mobile

This is a total gem! Gloria and Angie, Toby will give you a great welcome. All the managers and staff are AMAZING! They can’t do enough for you, Also the facilities are excellent - even underfloor heating in the bathrooms! - and such beautiful views over the South Downs and of the iconic Jack and Jill Windmills on the hill! Lovely birdsong every morning - also get ready to see the most glorious sunrises and sunsets There are fire pits or anything you need! - picnic tables and most pretty flowers - plus it is easy to get to the South Down Way - WOW WOW WOW!
Everybody gets the same amazing helpfulness - but for me it meant more than I can say
I shall never forget how all the staff literally turned darkness into light for me! I am a long distance runner- I ran around the world for charity after my husband had died from cancer - only to break my hip by falling on a smallest icy puddle back in Hove 4 months I wanted get stay active as soon as I could - so I moved to Southdownway Caravan and Camping Park barely able to walk then and on two crutches - I was overwhelmed with kindness. They even lent me a more spacious tent than mine, put on heating, did EVERYTHING to help me. Due to all this, and the beautiful fresh air I healed far faster and already have begun to be able to run again
This is a little paradise. Thank you

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank RosieSwale
Reviewed 20 April 2018

Tried to stay as a mixed gender group of friends (2 x 8 person tents). They took the booking, cancelled it (group's too big), and refused to refund the deposit. Feels like dealing with a dodgy builder. Stay clear.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alexey Y

Thank you Alex for your review. Firstly, deposits are non refundable which is clear on our website. Secondly it could not have been clearer about our group booking policy. We are not dodgy nor are we builders and act professionally with our bookings. By trying to get your booking on for 16 adults for a hen and stag do has cleary backfired and your obviously a little disappointed we noticed which i understand which is why i will not take this review personally. As for refunding the deposit, its your choice to book knowing the risk and your cheekyness that has cost you as it clearly it is obvious to everyone else that books what our policy is, you chose to try your luck. You also tryed to make out it wasnt a stag or hen do which it turned out it WAS however you dress it up so not only did you try your luck by putting 16 adults in 2 tents without checking first but also tried to mislead me when i called you about your booking. Constructive critism is always welcome, however this review does not fall into that category but thank you very much for your view, i think our future guests will be happy to read this and know that we do not tollerate large adult group bookings or any more than 3 pitches per booking so i thank you for drawing attention to this.
Kind regards
Sherry A

Reviewed 5 November 2017

Lovely site, good access to downs for walking and many other footpaths nearby. Lovely friendly couple (only been there 6 weeks) to welcome you and show you to pitch. Some road noise from A23, that would be less if further back in the site. Facilities are good and lovely and clean.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Thank you Jacqui sorry about the road noise, i never notice it as sleep like a log but thats been noted and of course your know if you return where will be better to pitch to reduce this for you. Thank you for your lovely review, we try our hardest. x