“Perfect beach front bungalow, laid back relaxing place to stay!”

Castaway Resort Koh Lipe
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Ko Lipe
Reviewed 26 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at castaway for 5 nights and enjoyed every second of it. The beach front bungalow we had was clean and although basic (cold water shower etc) it was perfect. I loved the laid back feeling to the place and although I did worry about having only cold water, it was just what I needed after a day on the beach!

The beach it is located on is the best beach on the island and it was only a 5 minute walk to walking street which is filled with cool bars, restaurants and shops.

Koh lipe was the best island we visited on our trip and I just hope it stays a chilled out place and not too touristy... As it is perfect how it is now.

The food at the resort is lovely and reasonably priced. But there is loads of nice places to eat on the island so go exploring!

The owners at the resort are really helpful and let us borrow the mosquito spray every night for our room, which made it perfect being able to sleep without a mosquito net on the bed and not getting any bites! Which is a miracle for me.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and would definatly recommend paying the extra for a beach front bungalow as the view and location is priceless.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank TRAVELLERYEY
There are newer reviews for Castaway Resort Koh Lipe

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We had such a wonderful time at Castaway resort. It's a magical place to stay with wonderful views and lovely staff. The bungalows were very well maintained and looked brand new though the place already exists for 8 years or so....
Food is also nice.
We will definately be back!
The only thing negative was the hardness of the matresses...hopefully this will change one day

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I read a lot about Castaway before our trip, I always want to find the best place fairly cheap. This is exactly what it is. Very relaxed and clean resort. Bungalows are really big and comfy. They are very simple as well, but you have all you need, they even leave you bottled mineral water every day during daily cleaning. I had only one problem. I don't know if all the bungalows were the same, but in ours water out of the tap and the shower was pouring with rust, which gave me an allergic reaction after few days of showering...
The hammocks are good, we loved sitting outside on the porch in the evenings and just relax. We made friends with a very nice cat, who came to visit us every evening and sat on the porch with us until we went to bed. I saw that cat on our porch long after we moved out from Castaway...
The area is very quiet and the beach is nice, clean and not overcrowded. Just don't go in May!!! The tide will make using the beach impossible.
The outside decked restaurant is just amazing, so relaxed, cosy and with gorgeous views. They serve really good food and I could easily just sit there all day.
Diving resort is very good, too! Very friendly people, very environmentally friendly, between the dives I helped them clean one of the uninhabited islands and I was told that this is what they do every time they dive. Very cool!
All in all, we loved this place and we would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ThailandIsTheBest
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed in Garden breeze bungalows and it was very different and pleasant experience due to their design and respect to nature. The beach is much better than the other main beach, there is less people and more pleasant shadow.
On the other hand it was very noisy in the rooms as you could hear all the sounds from nearby cottages, e.g. toilet flushing and shower.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank zmije
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed 7 nights with our teenage daugthers in two Garden Breeze bungalows. The overall function of the bungalows was great, with hammocks on the porch. Fortunately it was windy during our stay, because the ceiling f-n alone wasn't enough to cool the sleeping room to our needs. The breeze though made it very comfy and cozy with the doors fully open hearing the waves and the wind. The cool shower worked well for us, only downside was that it was a challenge to wash your lower regions and your hair with the low pressure, fixed ceiling shower head. Luxury problems! The diving center attached to the resort was extremely friendly and we went on snorkeling trips and got PADI Open Water for one of our daughters. The restaurant and attached facilities were great for hanging out and eating. Food excellent and service as well. Our initial plan was to eat "out" every evening, but we ended up eating at Castaway most of the times, later walking into town for drinks. Make sure to bring flashlight because it's very dark at nights when going back to room, or walking into town. Overall a very nice place that we will visit again for sure.

Room Tip: If you need cool room to sleep make sure to stay in room closer to the beach where breeze reaches ro...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Fredrik M
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I spent a really great time in my breezy seaview- Bungalow No. 1- and felt the hammock was kind of heaven!
The staff was super super friendly especially the guy who never lost his patience in being my thai language teacher- thanx a lot!! and hello to the south african teachers!!!
The beach resort with the best music- great! well selected by Pierre and his wife Anna!!
and delicous food in their restaurant!
The diveshop, which I called the spanish colony, hi Anna- me alegró mucho conocerte!
hi Tos- saludos !!
and unforgetable: the sunset Yoga with Fernando from Ibiza!!
his lessons I would like to recommend to everybody- try it!!
Also the snorkel trip to the lonesome islands around.. with the clear water, the white sand
and some pretty fish to see! .. but.. a pity.. the corels are not that colorful...
The location at sunrise beach is calmer than the other side of the island.. and if you like
the windy atmosphere.. here it is!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Castaway is by far one of the most beautiful hotels on the island. The location is amazing. At the most gorgeous beach of the island and only 7-10' walk to the village. Our hut/ room was clean, cozy and the decoration, even though is simple is very tasteful. Immaculate. Staff always polite and willing to help. Food was excellent and not pricey but compared to the prices of the other local restaurants of the island, yes, slightly more expensive. Great variety for breakfast, drinks and smoothies. I found that it's very practical and convenient that the bathroom is downstairs and the bedroom upstairs.
Would definately recommend it and will surely visit again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple