“Disappointing Dinner for Two” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
kent
“Disappointing Dinner for Two”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel/restaurant has recently been re-furbished and is indeed very smart and stylish, but service and quality in the restaurant leaves much to be desired. My wife and I arrived for dinner and were greeted by a young man (in his 20s ?) rather scruffily dressed who did not bother to show us to a table, so we chose one ourselves. Menus (very stylish) were produced, but we were not offered an aperitif, and had to ask for one - this was produced, but we did not receive the customary bowl of "nibbles" which is unusual. My wife ordered a starter of coquille de poisson gratinee, which was O.K. but I ordered fois gras maison at €2,00 supplement - it was delicious but only two very small slices - not good value at all!! My wife's main course of mussels was just fine, but my faux fillet of beef was poor, one third of it being fat. and gristle which was inedible. We were not offered any bread or water, which is mandatory in France, and again had to ask for some. During our meal there was a constant stream of young people who came in and out for a chat with the waiter very disturbing whilst eating The bill for this disappointing meal (with 25cl of wine) was over £50-00 - not at all good value - we can eat nearby for at least £10-00 less and with a better meal. It is not often I write a negative review, but I will not be eating here again, and accordingly cannot recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013