“Average hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Buckden
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“Average hotel”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

One night stay recently as we were seeing friends who could not put us up.
Had one of the rooms with a 4-poster bed, which was OK, if a bit soft for our liking. The room was also above the bar, so was a bit noisy when we returned. Strange to have used this room when they were not full and there were probably quieter rooms available. Roll-top bath in the bathroom, with a shower attached. I found it difficult to get in and out of, and claustrophobic with the shower curtain around me. The lighting in the bedroom was poor, making it difficult to read. I tried to connect to their wi-fi, but without success. Nothing came up asking me to create an account with Cloud.
We didn't eat in the hotel as we were seeing friends for dinner, so can't comment on the food, but the breakfast was ok.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Have just had two night stay at the Lion Hotel at Buckden, excellent value for money with good Adnams Ale served at the bar by a friendly landlady , good evening meal of locally sourced sausages and mash followed by decent red wine all well priced and served well , this is an old coaching house well situated by the A1 , the décor is olde worldy as you would expect , not pristine but fine at an affordable price with good community feel in the bar .
I hope to stay again.

Room Tip: Room 3 is good, Room 8 has a little traffic noise but nothing to worry about , Drink the Adnams
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Richy1186424
lincoln
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stopped here because it is very handy for the A1
When I arrived it was clear that this was something special in that it dates from 1492 and has many unique features.
There are mseveral places to eat locally however I decided to eat in and found the food to be good, the real ale was also of a high standard.
My room was comfortable and I enjoyed a peaceful nights sleep.

Room Tip: Some rooms face the local road however there noise is not too bad.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We had heard of the Lion situated in Buckden and when friends suggested we stayed there, we looked at the reviews prior to committing ourselves. We wasted our time in doing so. Upon arrival, very friendly people met us. Checking in was easy. Having settled in we sought afternoon tea, it was similar to a banquet, beautifully presented and maybe a little too much on the plate but better to leave an amount of food rather than leave with an amount of disappointment.

The room was spacious, very clean, plenty of tea and coffee and a very comfortable bed.

Later in the evening, a group of 10 sat down for dinner, and again the food was tremendous and still no option to leave hungry!

Checking out the following day was easy, but no feeling of 'you've paid, now leave'.

Overall, we were made very welcomed and yes, we would stay there again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Teef1956
Aberlour, Scotland
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times, mainly because of it's location. However I will not be staying there again. The whole place is in desperate need of renovation, and requires a thorough "deep clean". It is very obvious that nothing is being spent on this hotel in the way of maintenance, and the whole place is run on a "shoestring". The rooms give a feeling of grubbiness----the carpets and bed-covers are dirty, there is mould around the bath edges, and the showers don't work properly.
My last stay was for two nights. When I returned at the end of day one, the room had not been made up ( a couple of towels had been placed on the dirty carpet outside the door).
The staff (with one notable exception) were fine, but the "notable exception" needs to go on a course to learn how not to treat your guests---even a couple of polite words such as "good morning" would be a start!
I did'nt have dinnner here, so can't comment, but the breakfast was average, despite the pot of tea being luke-warm. I did'nt want to incur the wrath of the "notable exception" by asking for another pot of tea, so I drank my orange juice and left vowing never to come back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank mike h
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Two words: Basil Fawlty. Not really sure why someone with an evident lack of any empathy with his customers would want to run a business in the hotel trade. I booked two twin rooms a couple of months before. Four of us arrived after cycling 90 miles, to find that we had only one room booked. Apparently " if I had booked two rooms I would have been given two booking references" And I'm meant to know that how exactly? No apology of course. All the other staff are very nice- but their boss manages to outweigh all their best efforts. You may strike lucky and have a nice stay here- the risk is yours.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Impossibletochoosena
london
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is the first time I have ever felt the need to write a bad review about a hotel. People very nice, food in the restaurant good, but room very poor indeed . Toilet dirty (poo), hairs/dirt and mold in the bathroom , bedroom very tired and just not clean. We checked in in the afternoon and thought we would suffer it for one night, we ate in the restaurant the food and service was very good. We returned to our room and decided we would drive back to kent rather than sleep in the room. I had already paid as I booked online but for the sake of £60 I am glad we left. I took the key to reception but there were only junior members of staff available whom was very nice albeit a bit embarrassed . They made sure the management had my details before we left , I did not expect anyone to contact me as they already had taken my money, i was right. Please don't book a room here.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckden
The George Hotel & Brasserie
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#6 of 9 in Huntingdon
Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!