This was a treat for a friend and we were delighted by the log fire and the beautiful decor. The staff were friendly and welcoming and we settled for our tea with great anticipation of a special afternoon. The sandwiches were delicious although there was a mix up as we were asked to choose our filling and then in addition to our individual platters, a plate of mixed fish sandwiches arrived too as a selection. Clarify what you are getting when you order. Unfortunately the cake platters did not live up to their appearance. The tiny sweet pastries with a raspberry were exquisite but the small round sponge cake with a walnut was identical to the small oval sponge cake with a pistachio and both were rather dry. We had saved the cream and strawberry jam scones, our favourites, until last but these were not nice at all. Very dry with an unpleasant sweetish baste on the top of them. We didn't finish them and sent them back. The dryness and texture were more like those of 2 day old scones. What a disappointment.The bill was slightly reduced because of our comments but a £12.50 high tea ought to be of the highest quality. Fabulous surroundings and service but stick to just a cup of tea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The George, Hotel and Brasserie, is situated in the historic village of Buckden just off the A1 between Huntingdon and St Neots, & a stones throw from the A14. For hundreds of years it has been a resting place for travellers making their way between York and London along the old Great North Road. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotel.de and Odigeo so you can book your The George Hotel & Brasserie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The George Hotel And Brasserie
- George Hotel St Neots
- The George Hotel & Brasserie Buckden, Cambridgeshire