“Excellent 3rd time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Buckden
The George Hotel & Brasserie
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Buckden
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Excellent 3rd time”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was our third visit to the george last Saturday as we were on our way to visit family in Peterborough. I haven't used trip advisor before but thought I would sign up as we wanted to say how much we enjoy the ambience food and service we have received on each visit. Last Saturday evening we called in for dinner and yet again where met by helpful attentive staff and superb quality food. The ambience and decor of the ground floor areas only adds to the experience. Saturday lunch times have been extremely busy on our previous two visits and yes,there may be a delay with food as it is so busy but it has Been well worth the wait!! Well done The George.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank robbodave1962
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

It is incredibly rewarding for all staff to see that the hard work and effort they invest does not go unnoticed.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Perhaps on your next visit you will be able to stay on one of our very competitive packages.

Richard O'Leary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

As the George is a favourite spot for lunch, when I heard they are now doing afternoon tea this seemed to be a good choice for a birthday treat. Four of us turned up and were shown to a table in the orangery. We all ordered the afternoon tea. It came very nicely presented on a three tier stand. We had two pots of tea ( tea bags) with lemon or milk and one pot of hot water. The food arrived quite quickly. Four types of sandwiches on lower plate,crusts off and nice enough but a tad over chilled. Second plate had two small scones each. These were not so good. Dry and misshapen served with clotted cream and jam. The jam was lovely, but not enough and no spoons to serve with. The top plate held a mini lemon tart (delicious ), a small Madeira type cake ( dry ), a coffee and chocolate pastry( mixed reviews) but pretty, and a shot glass with some type of fruit purée with cream.
My main complaint was that we never had anyone come to see how it all was or if we wanted a refill of hot water or more tea for well over an hour. In the end we had to go and ask for more tea and we were charged extra.
I notice a lot of complaints on previous reviews about service here and management need to tackle this. Don't think we will repeat the afternoon tea.,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Richard O, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

I was sorry to read you found the afternoon tea to be underwhelming.

I have passed your comments onto the kitchen team in relation to the madeira cake being dry. Please accept our apologies for this.

Our head chef was slightly puzzled by your comments that the scones were misshapen. The scones are made freshly each day and are not mass produced such as some supermarket brands. Therefore, they may vary slightly in shape.

Due to the recent warm weather and health and safety regulations our kitchen team do indeed store any items that should be cold stored in the refrigerators until they are required for use.

I can confirm teaspoons are placed on the side plates with the rest of the cutlery.

I have spoken to the front of house team who served you and they were sure they had gone to all tables on this day to check if everyone was satisfied.
It seems they perhaps failed to check all was ok on your table and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this oversight.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The review refers to the restaurant not the hotel. Super venue, but I found the food rather on the bland side. The service was excellent. Came away rather disappointed as have highly rated this restaurant in the past.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Richard O, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

Along with our head chef, I was very disappointed to read that you feel the food did not meet the usual high standards.
It would be very helpful if you could contact me directly at the hotel when convenient, and let me know which items where bland so chef can rectify the problem immediately.
I was pleased to read you found the service excellent and will pass this onto the front of house team.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

These comments relate to the restaurant - not the hotel. Good service, Great Food, We were a party of four on a busy Saturday night. We all had three courses - service was efficient but we were not rushed. Nothing was too much trouble. Staff were friendly. Food was delicious, beautifully presented. We all commented on what a thoroughly enjoyable and excellent evening it was.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

The kitchen and front of house team work incredibly hard to maintain the standards you received and they are always delighted to receive such positive feedback.

We look forwarding to welcoming you back in the near future, which will perhaps, include a longer stay in one of individually designed bedrooms.

Richard O'Leary.
Nottingham
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We are frequent visitors to The George and whilst we love the surroundings, location and food, everyone in our group is becoming increasingly disappointed with the inattentive service. There have been some fantastic managers in the past but it now seems to lack leadership and training, although I must point out that generally the staff are friendly and pleasant, just perhaps too inexperienced. The tables in the bar are always full of empty glasses and you often have to go and find someone to take a drinks order whether just in the bar or even the restaurant sometimes! This place is far too expensive and valuable to the locals to be consistently let down by it's staff. Please address this, we don't want to drink/eat anywhere else if we can help it!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

I was very disappointed to learn of the recent issues you have encountered whilst dining with us.
I am aware that any strategies that have been put in place since your last visit are of no consolation to you, however, we have recently restructured the management staffing and over the coming weeks a new staff training plan will be put in to place to ensure that we continue to provide the high standards that The George has become renowned for.

If you would like to discuss the issues you encountered any further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

I do hope to welcome you back In the near future.

West Byfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I recently attended an evening wedding reception at this hotel. The venue had been exclusive to the bridal party for the whole day.
The ground floor areas were spacious, well furnished and provided an ideal location for the wedding and celebrations.
All of the staff I encountered were magnificent.
The buffet served at the reception was plentiful, imaginative and of a high standard.
The breakfast served the following morning was "just what the doctor ordered".
My "bijou" room was adequate for my single occupancy - it was tastefully furnished and the mattress & pillows were excellent - I slept like a log.
The bathroom was spacious & the bath and shower excellent, both easy to operate.
The towels were disappointing as they were not as soft and fluffy as they should be. The bathrobes were perfectly suitable for those of us below 5' 6" and weighing less than 10st. For me at 6' 1" and weighing 13 st hopeless. There was no proper bars of soap which made life interesting.
It was difficult to use the sink as the water inlet was fixed and totally immovable?
Would I like to stay here again - yes but not for £120!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Brian P

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.
I was very pleased to read how much you enjoyed the spacious and well furnished surroundings we offer at The George and to read how much you enjoyed the evening wedding reception and buffet, followed by breakfast in the morning.
We would also like to thank you for your very positive comments regarding our staff, who all strive to provide the highest standards of service throughout our guests stay.

In relation to your comments about the bathrobes- I feel it would be a little difficult to store and provide bathrobes in a range of sizes but please do accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Please also accept my apologies for the fact you did not have a soap bar in your bathroom. We do take pride in the fact that we offer complimentary Elemis bath and shower gels along with liquid hand soap in all guest bedrooms for which we receive many positive reviews due to the high quality of the products.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future

General Manager.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

A Wednesday lunchtime and the place was heaving, there was no special event on so presumably this was normal. The food was of a quality that matched the price, chosen from an interesting menu. There is a good wine list as well. Such a pity then that the service didn't match, it seemed to be a reoccurring theme that a table of 5 could be abandoned and visited only when it suited the staff or occurred to them. We sat at our table at 1.30 and were still waiting for someone to take our pudding order at 3.30. Thankfully we were not in a rush but had we been we would have had to leave before the mains. I went in search of staff at to order some coffee. In the main dining area, three people were laying tables for the evening. Out at reception the Maitre d' was nattering to the lady on the desk. This is just unacceptable and although the food and ambiance were fine I would not return to be abused by the staff again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Old007
Sam E, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
I am so sorry that although your lunch was good it was spoilt by the service. The feedback will certainly be used in training of the staff. We aim to get it all right the food, the drink and wine choice as well as the service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckden
The Lion Hotel
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
#4 of 9 in Huntingdon
Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse

Been to The George Hotel & Brasserie? Share your experiences!