“A Mixed Review the good and the bad”

The George Hotel & Brasserie
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Buckden
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“A Mixed Review the good and the bad”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A 50th anniversary private area dinning for 10 guests. We arrive and enter very nice room ony 8 chairs around the table? no staff came to check if we all are ok. Found a staff member and chairs arrived several minutes later. This was a regular occurrence by the staff throughout the meal nothing arrived at the table together. I did not complain as my wife and I were guests. The Food was good what everybody ordered, but the service was NOT slick. I hope the management read this review because in the trade they are in place and you can go up in ratings as well as down very quickly.
To the CHEFand Owners get a grip of the waiting staff as Your reputation is on the line if the food does not arrive TOGETHER.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael J
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your review regarding your recent trip to the George.

The Kitchen team were very pleased to hear you found the food to be good.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you say you encountered on the day, I will try to address as follows:

The chairs had not all been placed in the room when two guests arrived early as staff had only just finished cleaning/hoovering. The chairs were all in place 45 minutes before the rest of the party arrived.
One staff member was allocated to the room throughout the day, the same staff member who took the drinks and wine order from the hosts, and delivered them to the room.
I can confirm that the food did not take any longer than usual to be delivered from the kitchen bearing in mind the kitchen is not situated next door to the room as it is the Brasserie.
The allocated staff member was also hand to check if everything was ok throughout the meal.
I can also confirm that at the end of the meal the hosts came to say what a lovely day they had and the food and service had been excellent.

Please accept my apologies you did not enjoy the day as much as the hosts did.

Richard O'Leary.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cambridge
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I held our wedding here on the 24th May, it all turned out fantastic thanks to the staff and especially Sam the assistant manager. After many management changes Sam dealt with us and she went above and beyond through out the day. All the staff at the George were fantastic, everyone is still talking about how nice the food was. Our day couldn't of turned out as well without the dedication of the staff.

They decorated the hotel fantastically and did everything how we wanted. Our room was huge and very clean, everyone was especially pleased with their different rooms. Outer haven't heard one complaint.

We can't thank the George and Sam enough for making our day so special!

• Stayed May 2014
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Mr & Mrs Beadsworth,

Firstly - May I congratulate you both on your recent wedding held here with us. I hope you are both enjoying married life and enjoyed your honeymoon.

Secondly - Thank you for your lovely review. Samantha, myself and the rest of the team who worked with you during the planning of your wedding and on the day, were delighted to read how happy you were.

We look forward to welcoming you all the back very soon.

Hurghada, Egypt
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited The George ,many times now , with friends and family , what can I say ,well never been disappointed . Been for drinks, lunch and dinner , its not cheap but you get what you pay for , the food is excellent ,service outstanding ,the staff very good . Some times a little slow when busy . No complaints from us . Well done The George .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan J
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your very positive review.

The kitchen and front of house team, along with myself, were delighted to read how much you enjoy your visits to The George.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

cambridgeshire,
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I felt I had to write a rare review on Tripadvisor after my daughters wedding here last weekend 17 th May.
Firstly I will write a short review of the rooms as we stayed in two on Friday night- the Eliot and Bernard Shaw. Both were beautifully decorated with a nice bath and powerful shower over. Nice toiletries and two bottles of water provided. My only slight criticism of staying is that there are no tea and coffee making facilities provided in rooms- this I found is really rare nowadays as every place I have stayed in the last 3-4 years have provided these.They do state in their information book that if you telephone reception they will be brought up- this did happen but took a short while as staff are very busy at all times , and surely providing these facilities would spare staff of this extra ? Unnecessary task. Apart from this the overnight stay was very comfortable.
My daughter chose to have her wedding ceremony and afternoon reception here as their Orangery caters for up to 40 guests and has a private garden attached . There is also plenty of parking provided at back of hotel . Every possible problem we thought of beforehand were always dealt with efficiently by email or a quick visit. Amy had two wedding co- ordinators there : Lorela ( since left ) and Amanda- both were efficient.
The wedding day itself was just perfect . My worry about the hotel being very busy on a Saturday , therefore ? Imposing on Amy's wedding was totally wrong- all staff were so efficient and made every effort to ensure our wedding ran smoothly. They listened to our wishes and ran everything like clockwork- a special thank you must be made to Samantha who ushered everyone around before ceremony ensuring Amy made her special entrance , ensured the Pimms was ready after ceremony, and the table was set to Amy and James' wishes for the meal. The food was absolutely outstanding- everybody commented on the monkfish starter in particular: delicious! All staff were so efficient and courteous and an asset to this hotel. Richard (? Manager) also made a point of asking if everything was ok and ensuring it all ran smoothly. The weather also helped staying sunny all day. If anyone is wondering where to hold a small, private special event I believe this place takes some beating for their facilities, food, staff and general ambiance . Thank you again for making my daughters wedding perfect in every way.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jonnydeppfan
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Mrs Lince,

Thank you so much for your recent review.

I have passed your comments on to all members of the team who were involved in your daughter and son in laws wedding.

It is always a pleasure to read such positive reviews and see that all our staffs efforts are so well received.

We hope to welcome you all back in the near future.

Richard O'Leary.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was our third visit to the george last Saturday as we were on our way to visit family in Peterborough. I haven't used trip advisor before but thought I would sign up as we wanted to say how much we enjoy the ambience food and service we have received on each visit. Last Saturday evening we called in for dinner and yet again where met by helpful attentive staff and superb quality food. The ambience and decor of the ground floor areas only adds to the experience. Saturday lunch times have been extremely busy on our previous two visits and yes,there may be a delay with food as it is so busy but it has Been well worth the wait!! Well done The George.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank robbodave1962
Richard O, General Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review.

It is incredibly rewarding for all staff to see that the hard work and effort they invest does not go unnoticed.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Perhaps on your next visit you will be able to stay on one of our very competitive packages.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

As the George is a favourite spot for lunch, when I heard they are now doing afternoon tea this seemed to be a good choice for a birthday treat. Four of us turned up and were shown to a table in the orangery. We all ordered the afternoon tea. It came very nicely presented on a three tier stand. We had two pots of tea ( tea bags) with lemon or milk and one pot of hot water. The food arrived quite quickly. Four types of sandwiches on lower plate,crusts off and nice enough but a tad over chilled. Second plate had two small scones each. These were not so good. Dry and misshapen served with clotted cream and jam. The jam was lovely, but not enough and no spoons to serve with. The top plate held a mini lemon tart (delicious ), a small Madeira type cake ( dry ), a coffee and chocolate pastry( mixed reviews) but pretty, and a shot glass with some type of fruit purée with cream.
My main complaint was that we never had anyone come to see how it all was or if we wanted a refill of hot water or more tea for well over an hour. In the end we had to go and ask for more tea and we were charged extra.
I notice a lot of complaints on previous reviews about service here and management need to tackle this. Don't think we will repeat the afternoon tea.,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Richard O, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

I was sorry to read you found the afternoon tea to be underwhelming.

I have passed your comments onto the kitchen team in relation to the madeira cake being dry. Please accept our apologies for this.

Our head chef was slightly puzzled by your comments that the scones were misshapen. The scones are made freshly each day and are not mass produced such as some supermarket brands. Therefore, they may vary slightly in shape.

Due to the recent warm weather and health and safety regulations our kitchen team do indeed store any items that should be cold stored in the refrigerators until they are required for use.

I can confirm teaspoons are placed on the side plates with the rest of the cutlery.

I have spoken to the front of house team who served you and they were sure they had gone to all tables on this day to check if everyone was satisfied.
It seems they perhaps failed to check all was ok on your table and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this oversight.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The review refers to the restaurant not the hotel. Super venue, but I found the food rather on the bland side. The service was excellent. Came away rather disappointed as have highly rated this restaurant in the past.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Richard O, Manager at The George Hotel & Brasserie, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

Along with our head chef, I was very disappointed to read that you feel the food did not meet the usual high standards.
It would be very helpful if you could contact me directly at the hotel when convenient, and let me know which items where bland so chef can rectify the problem immediately.
I was pleased to read you found the service excellent and will pass this onto the front of house team.

Richard O'Leary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckden
The Lion Hotel
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
#4 of 9 in Huntingdon
Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse

Been to The George Hotel & Brasserie? Share your experiences!