“Hotel good - let down by poor catering at motorway services”

Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tibshelf
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Hotel good - let down by poor catering at motorway services”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed for three nights in a family room (two double-beds) with my daughter - visiting friends in the area. Room was speacious and clean. The staff at the hotel were helpful and friendly. One concern was the overpowering plug-in air freshener smell in the corridors and stairwell. Surprisingly, seeing as we were on the motorway, it was very quiet through the night and there was no road noise at all. We did hear a baby one night but it was a family in the room adjacent to us, which was understandable.
We paid for breakfast vouchers to use in the motorway services next door. Day one we had to pay £5 on top of the voucher value (the child's voucher will pay for a basic breakfast - bowl of cereals or three cooked items - but doesn't cover a drink!), day two we paid an extra £3. Day three we managed to get it within the value of the vouchers - by sharing a bottle of orange juice!
Yes, I would stay here again, in spite of the annoying miles you spend on the motorway if you want to get to Derby. I would, however, make my own arrangements for Breakfast and not go for the most 'convenient' option.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Michelle R, General Manager at Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff and thank you for commenting about how quiet the rooms are, as we are situated quite away from the motorway noise is not a problem.
I do apologise for the problems regarding breakfast and I do hope that this didn’t spoil your stay with us. We do have several restaurants within the area which we would be happy to direct you to which are just a short drive from the hotel.
Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Michelle Roberts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hereford
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The Tibshelf Days Inn is a little difficult to get to if travelling from the north on the A1(M), having to pass through 2 intercom controlled gates and cross a bridge. The fire alarm went off 4 times during the night - neither for a test nor for a fire.
The one member of staff we met was kind and helpful. The bed was comfortable. The room was more spacious than most motels. WiFi was free and easy to access. TV had alot of channels. Couldn't hear other guests.
The nearby RoadChef had a limited menu of non-descript food and dirty cutlery.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your review.
I apologise that your experience was anything less than satisfactory. This problem has been rectified. I also apologise that the restaurant let you down on this occasion, we do have several restaurants within the area which we would be happy to direct you to which is just a short drive from the hotel.
We hope to welcome you back soon and thank you again for your review.
Hull
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stayed here for a night as nowhere else nearby had a cheap room. Paid £40 and got a double bed with another room off shooting it with 2 singles for our kids so the room was huge. The booking was slightly tricky as the website was confused about how many kids you can have in a room. Got tea and coffee in the room and free wifi all night not like the other budget hotels.
There was no noise from outside at all so it was great but I agree about the carpet smell which was very off putting but only in the corridors. Overall a good night and we'll consider Days Inn again when looking for somewhere cheap to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again soon
Regards Michelle Roberts
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Considering this is a dated Motel, the location felt secure as you had to be a customer to get access through barriers.

I did not see many staff but the service was friendly , efficient and very helpful. Nothing was too much trouble.

Discounted food vouchers for the services made a useful saving on inflated motorway service prices. There are lots of nice places to eat in the rural surrounds , with access direct via a local road exit. I was not affected by traffic noise.

The rooms are very tired indeed, sparsely furnished but spacious with about the same storage capacity of a premier inn. The bathroom we had seemed to have been modernised recently in contrast to the room itself.

Good value for £40 for a twin room for one night in an area that was almost completely booked up. Not one affordable double room to be found.

My only issue was the disgusting smell of the corridors from the watermarked ageing carpets , that stank of mould , dust and decay and the residue of the days of smoking rooms. Despite valiant attempts to keep them clean and mask the smell with air freshers the musty aroma goes straight for the senses, in my case causing much sneezing and a need for antihistamines. This makes it look and feel dirty when the hygiene standard seem to be very good.

I have stayed in worse places for much more. We had a no frills comfortable overnight stop for easy access the next day to our outdoor activities.

The staff are an asset to this Motel.

Room Tip: probably avoid upstairs where the corridor carpets smell.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Michelle R, General Manager at Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologise that your experience was anything less than satisfactory. Please be assured these are not the standards we usually offer at Days inn Chesterfield and the situation has been rectified.
We hope to see you again soon
High Wycombe
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We spent 2 nights at Tibshelf. Although on the motorway between 2 junctions it is also accessed from local roads via the service entrance, so access to all areas is easy. It is located away from the M1 so we heard little motorway noise. The services themselves are small with WH Smith and Costa open 24 hours. We had breakfast in the restaurant using voucher from reception. Staff at hotel were friendly and the room OK - plently of space and tea and coffee provided. Lights are a bit bright. Only downside is there was only one chair for 3 of us and black mould between bathroom tiles on floor and wall and around bath. Also black mouid around the window frame. I have marked the rating down to 4 because of the mould and because the room wasn't serviced - when I mentioned the lack of servicing at reception the lady apologised and offered to service it for us then and there, which was fine. I would definitely consider staying there again.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Michelle R, General Manager at Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you have commented on how quiet the rooms are, as we are situated quite away from the motorway noise is not a problem.
I am sorry that your room was not serviced during your stay here, Please be assured these are not the standards we usually offer for our guests. I will look into this to ensure the issues you raised are addressed.
Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again.
Truro
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Never stayed in a Days Inn before and was bit apprehensive with it being in a motorway services. I was wrong, the motel although being a few yards from the main mall was very quiet, the room we occupied was very quiet, clean and comfortable, I had a very restful night. It was excellent value for the £34 that I paid and I wouldn't hesitate to use Days Inn again. The breakfast voucher scheme was good, cheaper than another motel chain that I have stayed in. Altogether a pleasant experience.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Michelle R, General Manager at Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for such a great review!
As we are set back from the motorway the traffic noise does not seem to be a problem. I’m really pleased that you enjoyed your stay here at Days inn Chesterfield and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
New Milton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is the third time I have stayed at this Tibshelf hotel. I find it very convenient, friendly and comfortable. Although it is quite hot here my room is cool thanks to an opening window. The room is clean though a little in need of renovation, for example it's shabby around the bath. I love the walks at the back of the hotel where there are many footpaths.
My only complaint is the £10 charge for my dog. I have recently stayed in a very nice Comfort Inn in Peterborough where the charge is only £5,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
It’s always great to hear from our regular guests. The hotel is situated close to some really beautiful country walks and I’m glad that you enjoyed them in the lovely weather. The pet charge does vary a little.
Thank you for your review and we hope to see you soon.
Michelle Roberts

Been to Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf? Share your experiences!