“Bargain price, but a few issues”

Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tibshelf
Nantwich, United Kingdom
“Bargain price, but a few issues”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel was pretty much what you'd expect for £17.50 a night; if you've ever stayed at a motorway service hotel then that's what we got. Including the constant roar of the M1. I would have given it an average score, but there were a couple of issues.

In the morning, I managed to get a shower, but my wife, who went in after me could get no water at all. I asked a couple of other guests and they had the same problem. The lady on the desk started to tell the series of actions that sometimes you have to go through to get the shower to work, until I told her water wasn't coming out of the taps either. In any case, there shouldn't be any need to stand on one leg, singing the French national anthem backwards to get the shower to work.

We also had no confidence in the door lock. The room we were in would seem to lock and then re-open when you turned the handle. Also, I can't remember the last time a I stayed in one of these places and the doors had to be locked with a key once the door closed, rather than the door being automatically locked when the door was shut. With the dodgy lock on our door, I had to fiddle about with the key for two or three minutes the first time and still felt uneasy leaving the room.

Other than off the motorway, access to the motel is via a small B-road, through two barriers. Which isn't too bad; getting there via the motorway would have meant quite long diversions when we went out in the evening. But the signage could have been better. There was a sign telling visitors to use the intercom at the barrier to gain access to the services, but this was 30 metres down the access road. There was also a much more dominant sign saying 'Authorised Vehicles Only'. I've had a quick look through the emails I was sent and I can't find anything about how to actually get onto the site to get to the motel via this route. Also, by chance, while I was at reception, the lady was on the phone to someone giving directions and she gave out a slightly different postcode. When I asked her about it, she told me that people can't find the motel with the other post code. She looked a bit confused when I suggested that perhaps the postcode that helps people find the site should be the one given out...

Overall it was OK. We weren't expecting the Ritz. Yes, it was a bit tired and dated and yes there were problems, but it was clean and the staff were helpful. We had a good night's sleep and that's the main thing. If we'd been staying any longer, it might have been a different story, but for one night, it did the job.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are further away from the motorway. Get up early to have a shower before the...
1 Thank birtwistler
Michelle R, General Manager at Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Thank you for your review.
I’m really sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
We endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this.
I hope to welcome you back in the future and provide you with a more positive experience.
Thank you again for your review.
Michelle Roberts.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed here last night (24th Aug 2014) after a family Christening. Yes .... we had got the room at a bargain rate, however you expect certain standards. Bed linen was clean, but beds were rickety and stained. Bathroom was clean, but only one towel for the two of us ...... but we did not really need it as the water pressure was so low the shower would not work and a trickle came out of the basin tap. The toilet flushed but took ages to refill the cistern. We were up at 5:00 a.m. as there was a buzzing in the room that was like chinese water torture when you are trying to get to sleep! We could not find the cause and thought it might be the extractor fan in the next room if they had left the bathroom light on. Anyway .... not a good nights sleep. I passed on our concerns/complaints to the lady on reception who went through the motions of saying she was sorry and would report it, but obviously did not give a damn. Customer service scores a mighty zero.

Thank you for your review.
I'm very sorry you had such a disappointing stay.
Please be assured these are not the standards we usually provide and I will be investigating the issues you experienced.
Thank you again for your review.
Michelle Roberts.

Travellers are raving about these Tibshelf hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel was grubby, the staff also grubby and more to the point, unhelpful. We were given the wrong room and upon pointing this out to the receptionist, offered a makeshift bed in the room we were given. They told us they would put this bed up whilst we were out. We returned at 2am, to no extra bed. Upon informing the reception again, we were told that they didn't have spare room keys and so could not do it whilst we were out. They offered to get bedding (which the staff member dragged across the floor) and left us to make up the bed. We paid for breakfast in the restaurant attached. It was understocked, stone cold and just plain horrible. The hotel was cheap, but I'd rather pay a little more and have a clean and basic room with polite and capable staff. Don't stay here if you can help it.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter which you choose, they will put you in whatever they feel like.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I’m sorry that you had such a disappointing stay with us.
Please contact the hotel and speak with myself so that I can fully investigate and resolve these issues.
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We were badly let down last minute by another hotel overbooking....just as I was about to give up and cancel our trip, I found the last room through Booking.com at this hotel, at a suspiciously low price for a family room, £40. I booked it, and feeling pessimistic, telephoned to double check they'd received it as we needed to set off! The receptionist said it had come through and promised to set up the sofa bed before we arrived. When we arrived, she was lovely and sympathetic and said she'd given us an extra large family room. It was huge! Was actually two rooms separated through an archway - a big kingsize bed and sofa bed in our room, plus another room with two singles and a cot. The room was large, clean and warm. Big thumbs up from us!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely review.
I'm thrilled you had such an enjoyable stay with us.
I will pass on your lovely feedback to the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Days Inn Chesterfield (Tibshelf) soon and thank you again for your review.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Suitable for 1 night stays. Room was comfortable, bathroom clean, pleasant staff but just a shame you have to pay service station prices for food. Would definitely stay there again. Free Wi-Fi with good access in the room. Upon arrival receptionist was very considerate and helpful towards my needs and choices

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.
I’m pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us.
We do have several restaurants within the area that we would be happy to direct our guests to.
We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for your review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was disappointed on this trip having stayed at this hotel before and was very happy with it.
On Monday evening we had no hot water in the room and found this was the same on Tuesday morning.
We mentioned this to the staff and also said the heated towel rail was not working. On Tuesday night I was unable to have a bath as the water pressure was poor and the water only luke warm.
We also started watching a film on the internet only to find the internet dropped and we could not get it back for the remainder of our stay. On Wednesday morning before leaving my partner went to have a shower delighted to find the water hot, only once covered in soap to have the water stop completely. No water anywhere, not even the hand basin, the staff had to give us the key to another room so we could wash. The heated rail was never fixed. A real shame as it spoilt our break.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your review.
I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here with us.
Please be assured these are not the standards we usually provide and I will investigate all of the issues you experienced.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

the whole set upis a shambles i booked this through late rooms in may supposed to be a bargain that was a joke.paid £40 a night for 2 nights for 2 rooms when got there that was normal price anyway could not contact hotel till aftr 3pm went throught to central booking i contacted them 2 days before to be told by central had no booking after lot of conversations finally agreed i did have a booking we needed rooms downstairs as no lift for disabled no room was ready but they did have 2 rooms upstairs we said no and got 1 up 1 down on entering our room strong smell of urine we sprayed it with deodorant,one towel in double room had to go get more first night went to use shower dispenser was empty,bed very hard and uncomfortable £20 a night fairer price

Room Tip: choose different hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Michelle R, General Manager at Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Here at Chesterfield Days inn we strive to provide the best service and standard.
Michelle Roberts

Been to Days Inn Chesterfield Tibshelf? Share your experiences!