“bought a groupon and couldn't use it” 1 of 5 bubbles

The Old Dairy Farm Shop & Coffee Barn
Price range: US$1 - US$7
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The cafe is situated in the middle of the village of Pucklechurch, about 15 minutes drive from Junction 18 (Bath) of the M4 motorway and only 25 minutes from the centre of both Bath and Bristol. We have a small car park & plenty of on street parking.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“bought a groupon and couldn't use it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

bought an afternoon tea voucher, more than a week before it expired I tried to book a table only to be told fully booked, they have my money and they did not try and accommodate or offer other times days etc, I won't be going there!

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Amy Grimsby S
JBristol, Owner at The Old Dairy Farm Shop & Coffee Barn, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Writing a review of an establishment, good or bad, when you have not actually visited simply highlights not only a potential lack of intelligence, but also a weak attempt to cover up your own mistake to those around you. The vast majority of people reading these reviews will be able to realise a genuine expression of someones experience of The Old Dairy. This sort of thing is always a risk when taking part in a Groupon or similar promotion. Bookings have been open (at the time of writing) for around 3 months and during this time there has been plenty of space for Groupon voucher holders to book. Of course those days and weeks have now passed and a few, including you, left it untill a week or 2 untill the end of the promotion before trying to book. We explained that we were now fully booked, particularly as one of the 2 remaining weeks was half term and that if you contacted Groupon, they would issue you with a refund. We only recieve any mony once the customer has visited and we have redeemed the voucher. Simply holding a voucher does not give you an automatic right to a booking, as you know. The tight costings involved with Groupon does not permit use of a voucher outside the clearly designated times or days when our regular customers may be visiting. So, perhaps next time, you wont leave it quite so late and will think twice before venting your frustration on TA openly informing everyone that you have never set foot inside the establishment and in so doing making yourself look just a little silly. Still, with a bit of luck, no one who realises who you are will read this!

“Bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I had a very bad experience at This establishment. I booked a table and arrived at the cafe(which was empty except for one occupied table). I was shown to my table and after a couple of minutes a waitress came to take our order. The Groupon voucher was on the table and she said' oh wait a minute I didn't realise you were a Groupon customer 'and disappeared into the kitchen. With that an extremely stroppy woman came out and said to me and my friend' there's been a misunderstanding and I'm afraid you won't be able to use your voucher. I haven't got enough sandwiches , I just can't do it'. I then said that coffee and cakes would suffice and she replied ' you can have that if you want but you can't use your voucher!'. All this was said in a very loud and brusque manner and more people had arrived in the meantime. She disappeared into the kitchen and my friend and I left feeling rather humiliated.

Visited May 2014
6 Thank Happycustomer187
JBristol, Owner at The Old Dairy Farm Shop & Coffee Barn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We don't normally respond to reviews leaving customers to make up their own minds. However on this occasion it is justified to do so. The only reason you were humilliated and yes, you were humilliated, was because you tried to sneak in using a Groupon voucher having "forgotten" to mention you wished to use this promotion when you booked earlier the same day. The vouchers clearly state 24 hours advance booking is required and that they may be used only between 3 and 5pm. You booked for 2.30pm knowing we were fully booked for Groupon that day. The promotion is for an afternoon tea which has to be prepared in advance & because of the costings involved with this type of deal, you may not use your voucher for anything else or at any other time simply because you managed to trick your way in & proudly present your voucher. This was explained calmly and politely to you, which of course, you didn't like. You were caught out, felt embarrassed & left to a mixture of astonishment & laughter from the other customers who witnessed your performance - we were in fact about half full at the time. Just to finish your day off nicely, you had to return, rather meekly, in order to retrieve your phone, which had been left behind. When you did return, we again attempted to explain the situation politely & at that point you claimed to understand. Perhaps that was so you could leave quickly in order to write what some might say, a rather pathetic non review.
“Friendly and delicious afternoon tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Having meant to pop in and never made it I jumped at the Groupon afternoon tea offer, and I am so glad I did. Very friendly service right through made us feel very welcome and not rushed at all. The afternoon tea was quickly served and was all lovely, but the scones were superb. Some of our party missed the Groupon offer so ordered off the main menu and despite generous portions, they ordered an extra scone and cake as it was too good not to. Highchairs, plastic cups and plates and a supply of books and friendly service meant the whole family were happy and we hope to eat there again soon.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Karen P
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Have 2 Groupon vouchers for afternoon tea valid until the 03/06/14 tried to book today only to be told no availability at all why over sell when u know you cannot accommodate.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Stephen M
“Great country tearoom! Beautifully presented!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Had a great afternoon tea here which was made up for us specially as only had cream teas on menu but we had seen afternoon teas on a Groupon deal. The waitress was super! Perfect balance of friendliness and professionalism. Attentive, friendly and knowledgable checking with us for any dietary needs before recommending a selection of sandwiches and cakes. Scones were ready 'jammed' and all had a large dollop of clotted cream...ready to scoff! The presentation was perfect, crockery beautifully presented in a tower with all the silverware on each place setting. Cakes arrived on vintage looking cake stand with crustless finger sandwiches on separate plate. Only small change I would suggest would be that the teapots were more in keeping with the rest of the crockery as the two we had were rather cumbersome.

Visited March 2014