“Experience of a lifetime!”

Chateau de la Barben
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in La Barben
More attraction details
Owner description: The castle, all towers, turrets and terraces, is majestic; as is its position, high on impregnable rock, overlooking a lush valley. Join the museum visitors and enter to discover guardrooms...
Meridian, Idaho
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Experience of a lifetime!”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

After visiting Paris, driving to Provence and spending time in Avignon, Les Baux de Provence and Le Pont du Gard, my 10 year-old grandson and I arrived at the Chateau de la Barben for a two night visit. There were many steps to climb to enter the castle, but my grandson and the patron carried our luggage up to our beautiful room, the smallest, I believe, but fit for a queen. My grandson was amazed at actually staying in a furnished castle decorated with suits of armor, medeival weapons and other items so fascinating to a child--and an adult. Although as guests we were allowed to freely explore all the rooms, we did take the tour which was included in our reservation price. I speak French, but my grandson was given a notebook with descriptions of the rooms written in English. After the tour we explored on our own and even played hide and seek in the centuries old castle. During our stay we visited the zoo which was a short walk from the castle. It was a magnificent zoo with a large variety of animals. One night we dined in a restaurant by the zoo, I believe named Le 7e. The gourmet meal was fantastic and there were some special dishes for children. The price was comparable to a slightly upscale American restaurant. Our final dinner was in the chateau and was a fabulous four course meal which included wine for me and a choice of beverages for my grandson. We had a mild pate de foie gras, which my grandson loved, deliciously prepared leg of lamb and savory vegetables. Next we were served the cheese course which was followed by a grouping of chocolate desserts. The breakfasts served in the chateau were also tasty and filling with fresh croissants, a variety of breads, fruits, yogurt and cheeses. Since our return home my grandson has not stopped talking to his family, friends, etc about his stay in a castle. The price was very reasonable for all that was included and I definitely hope to return.

Visited April 2013

Summerville, South Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Oldest known Chateau in Provence. Don't miss it!”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This chateau is supposedly one of the oldest in Provence and dates back to around 1054. You can also reserve a room and dinner but we did not stay, only did the tour. It is truly a "castle" even though it is not huge, but contains art, furnishings and artifacts that are as magnificent as you will see in some of the larger more well known chateaux. Check for tour times in advance (may change by season), the tour takes about an hour. The grounds are beautifully mantained. Situated less than an hour from Aix en Provence it is well worth the visit. Situated next to a small zoo if you are traveling with children. Not recommended if you have any problems walking

Visited May 2012
2 Thank AdeleG63
Juan-les-Pins, France
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“What a Gorgeous Castle!”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Looks like something out of a little girl's princess dream! The grounds are well cared for and amazing to see, the walk is a pleasure for the eyes! We missed the tour times so will return to take the tour!

Visited February 2012
Riverside, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful & magical”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The proprietors could not have been more gracious and welcoming. Dinner (four courses) was superb. Modern bathroom facilities, comfortable beds, in gorgeous, large room full of beautiful heirloom furniture. The quiet was other-worldly. You are up above a gorgeous pine forest. We would have stayed longer but we had only the one night available in our itinerary. If you truly want to get away from the bustle of ordinary day-to-day, this is the place, and dinner and night's stay is 1/3 the cost of 4-star hotel in Paris.

Visited July 2011
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Amazing place with interesting zoo”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I went there last weekend and was impressed by the castle as really in the middle of the nature. We went to the zoo which was nice but would recommend a visit to the castle at night. They organise special events.

3 Thank SandraSE