As others have mentioned, a warm reception by Iain with a wee dram to relax before settling in to the room. One word to North Americans: there are no elevators, so even if you choose a room on the first floor, remember you'll have to schlep your luggage up the stairs from the ground floor, although Iain was only too happy to help.
Our room, Nethy, had quite a bit of room for a facility like this, although you have to be careful getting out of bed because of the "cottage" roofline that might cause you to knock your head a bit.
The bathroom was cramped, with a shower stuck in the middle like a phone booth between the toilet and the sink, but it was a good shower and it's understandable that in a house this old with rooms converted for a B&B you're going to have some dicey features.
Our friends' room Speanoch, had been upgraded since we booked it earlier in the year with some rather odd features such as a bathtub with coloured lights on the bottom and a bathtub flat screen TV and a heated floor. Although they paid the original price quoted, the current cost with these improvements was significantly higher. Speanoch also has a 4 poster bed and is a bit cramped compared to Nethy.
Breakfasts were superb and Iain and Elaine went out of their way to accommodate some special requests we made. We had dinner one night and it was wonderful. Everybody loved their choices and it begins with a small selection of canapés in the sitting area and ends there as well with petit fours and coffee.
All in all a great choice for touring the Cairngorms and Easteross.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Former home of the Lipton Tea Family, built in 1902, this elegant mansion is set in its own fabulous grounds in the heart of the Cairngorm National Park, ideally located for the Speyside Malt Whisky Trail. It has retained many original features and offers the highest standards of Scottish hospitality. Each bedroom is individually appointed to the highest standards. Open log fires and original wood paneling. Exquisite Afternoon Cream Teas, large selection of Malt Whiskies, Local Gins and Beers. Pet Friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tigh Na Sgiath Country Hotel
- Tigh Na Sgiath Country House Hotel Dulnain Bridge, UK - Scotland