“Functional and value for money”
Review of Arunras Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kampong Thom
Arunras Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kampong Thom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed one night at the Arunas Hotel in Kampong Thom, last April. I think I paid $20 for a double room.

It is located on the main road that leads from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. A bit noisy but you can request a room away from the main road. The entrance and lobby is tiny. They have a Visa sign at the front desk but told me that they do not accept it. Elevator is also very small and slow but I heard that it was the only one within a 100 mile radius.

The room was spacious and clean with reliable hot water And wifi during my stay. The balcony had a good view of the local microwave tower and consequently had the best cell phone signal strength during my entire stay in Cambodia. The attached restaurant is large and serves a wide range of local and Western dishes. I thought the price was a little high by local standards but very delicious.

I would certainly stay there again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank E150A

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We spent a night here to split the route between PP and Siem Reap and were agreably surprised by the hotel and the city.

Location is perfect (right where the bus dropped us, and right next to the market and the river). Our budget room cost 5 usd and had no window. Very small but adequate furniture and very clean sheets and bathroom. Bug servings at reasonable prices in the popular restaurant downstairs.

Only problem was that we could hear the music from the karaoke in the evening. Do prepare earplugs! Still great value for money and this is the place we'll stay at next time we are in town.

Not related, but for those breaking the route like us you might want to know that the cheapest way to reach Kampong Thom from PP by bus is with a ticket to Preah Vihear from GST company (psar thmei area just behind phnom penh sorya). It costs $5/person. Kompong Thom to Siem Reap costs $4 (right in front of Arunras hotel) by bus. Alternatively just walk away from the ticket vendors and stop any local minibus heading East. You should be able to negotiate $3/person directly with the driver.

Room Tip: Room 310 (windowless $5 budget rooms) is located right by the modem and had wifi when we stayed. App...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eutectique
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed two nights during January 2014. The room was $5 a night without windows, A/C nor hot water. The room was small but clean (and it was cleaned everyday). However, only a thin bed cover was provided (no real linen)

The main issue was the noise. On one hand, the exhaust fan in the bathroom could not be switched off and was running continuously. On the other hand, the karaoke on the fifth floor could be heard until very late two floors below, where my room was. The result was a very bad sleep both nights.

Aside from that, there was wifi only in the lobby. In spite of having wifi on every floor, they only give the password for the one at reception, and say that the other ones are not for customers' use. (I know it does not make sense, but it was their answer). Of course, in late afternoon and evening, not only the clients, but also the reception staff, their friends and what I guess were people going to the karaoke are connected to internet, so it is useless.

Finally, the restaurant belonging to the hotel is expensive and have a tendency to overcharge, although I agree that their coffee is good.

Summing up, a place to stay one night if you are on a budget and do not mind the noise and cold water. The hot water+AC rooms at $15 are way to expensive for the place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed for one night last Saturday, 11th of Jan. the A/C room for USD 15.00 was good value for money everything worked, except that there was no water in the morning for a shower (apparently the Municipality was doing widely advertised repairs). There are two hotels next to each other, Arunras Guest House (much cheaper at USD 5.00 for a room, but many complaints) and Arunras Hotel which was ok! Except for the water problem, which was a once off for which I don't think I would give them a bad rating! The Arunras hotel restaurant served really good food but was a little pricey! The Arunras Guest House restaurant seemed much more popular for breakfast though!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank petersmg
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We arrived in Kampong thom late at night and the bus dropped us right in front of this guesthouse so we walked in and asked for a room.
We Just spent one night at the Arunras guesthouse, not at the hotel which has the same name, paying 13 dollars for a room that smelled of cat's urine...it was so strong that the guy came back immediately with an sir freshener! The room had a window we could't open because it was broken and that was facing on what you can see from the picture. People at the reception were unfriendly and when I asked if it was possible to leave our backpacks there for a few hours to visit the temple I was answered a NO, without any suggestion on how to do with the luggage.
A place I would never reccomend.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This place is your basic basic. Decor and ambiance is little soviet-like, but overall it is clean and does the job. Rooms are cheap, $15/night. Wifi does not work in the rooms, but you can perch on the bench next to the check in desk and use it for free. Same wifi works in the restaurant next door.

The only other place in town that is nicer is the boutique-y Sambor Village for $50-80.

Would I stay here again? Yes, if I have to work in the area. No, if I en route to somewhere else. It's a bit depressing.

Room Tip: I wish I knew a good secret, but don't have one!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013

A good option on the road from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh. Reasonably clean. Good value for money.

The plus:
. Central situation which allows to easily find transportation (bus, minibus, shared taxis and moto-dops).
. The rooms are medium-sized, reasonably clean and comfortable with a big balcony and a private bathroom.
. The bathroom have hot water.
. The bed is comfortable.
. There is an attached restaurant on the ground floor and also numerous food stalls on the street around.
. The staff is friendly and helpful.
. Handy to visit the nearby temples of Sambor Prei Kuk.

The minus:
. Noisy road.
. Small and basic bathroom (though clean).

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the side to minimise the noise of the road
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
#4 of 6 in Kampong Thom
Marvel Holiday Boutique Hotel
Marvel Holiday Boutique Hotel
#168 of 361 in Siem Reap

Been to Arunras Hotel? Share your experiences!