“Went the extra mile...”

The Robin Hood Inn
Manchester
“Went the extra mile...”
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed here for one night when going to the races. We booked the hotel last minute through Expedia and the price included breakfast. The location is very picturesque on a village green. We arrived after a very long car journey and needed to get to the races. We received a warm welcome from the landlady. We explained we needed to purchase a tie however were very late for the races. Given our plight, the landlady offered a tie from her husbands collection! This really was going the extra mile. We were shown to our room and fifteen minutes later our cab arrived (organised by the landlady). This pub is abut twenty minutes from Goodwood in a cab.

Yes the bedroom where we were staying, directly above the front door is very small, however was comfortable. It was clean and there were plenty of towels and toiletries. A few minor points, there is no hair dryer which would have been useful, no soap only shower gel and there was a lightbulb missing from the bedside lamp.

We didn't eat in the pub that evening but the food smelt fantastic, we did enjoy a drink and the atmosphere was lovely. We did have breakfast the next day which was absolutely lovely. Overall a pleasant but short stay.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
staffordshire
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed here recently for 1 night, the location is very nice, on a village green. Its a cosy local hostelry and first appearances were good. The room was smallish, (not a major problem - Premier Inn would have been bigger though!).
The main issue for us was that the shower cubicle was really not very clean at all, filthy grouting, (nothing that a bit of bleach couldn't have sorted out though) and the glass shower door was really quite grotty and the room needed a dust. Also, not much soundproofing either! Oh, and there wasn't even a toilet roll holder in the bathroom.....

The staff are friendly (ish), although on checking out we were not asked if we had enjoyed our stay.

The food is the redeeming factor here, its good quality pub food and the prices are reasonable.
Both the evening meal we had and the breakfast were good, no complaints except that my cutlery wasn't clean!.

Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Recently had a very good Sunday lunch at the Robin Hood. The restaurant was fairly quiet but the service excellent. We had the good value Sunday roast which includes a starter or dessert.
Good choice of starters and they were lovely. The roast beef was beautifully presented and both the beef and the vegetables tasted great. The restaurant and bar are well decorated and comfortable and there's a terrace overlooking the village green. I will definitely be back with friends and family.

1 Thank Thinktoomuch
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2012

What could be nicer, we thought, than Sunday lunch on the South coast in a pretty pub garden. We arrived around 12.30 and went straight into main course. The service was friendly and prompt, my friend chose the Roast Beef lunch and I opted for the fishcakes with salad. My fish cakes were fine. However, my friend was struggling to cut, tear or pull his beef apart by any means he could muster. The texture, as I could see, was gristly and sinewy, and the chef who cut the slices cannot have failed to notice. My friend dislikes complaining and struggled on. When we were asked if everything was all right with our meal, we explained about the tough beef and my friend was asked if he would like anything else. As we were half way through, he was reluctant to wait for a different dish, and opted for a steak knife, which went some way to help, but he left most of his meal. By now his enjoyment was spoiled. We followed with ice cream for him and pavlova for me - both fine, except that mine had more meringue and cream than I could comfortably eat. We both expected some sort of gesture when the bill came, but on the contrary, my friend was asked if he would like to add a tip! Only his old-school manners prevented him letting fly. We were both left with the sense that if all goes well, it's smiles all round, but if things go wrong, the Robin Hood doesn't want to know.

2 Thank DJMaxwell

Travellers are raving about these Rowlands Castle hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Recently had lunch here and the inside is just as nice as the outside. The pub is in a great spot, not too busy either and plenty of parking. We chose it on the basis of being Hall and Woodhouse, who always deliver pleasant food and good choice of beers. Our meal covered the range of pub standards, but slightly better. Not a Gastro-pub, but that's a good thing. Service was very good and the place was spotless. Will go back again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We had a family lunch here for our Grandad's 85th Birthday and I can't praise it highly enough. My Grandad is a slightly fussy eater (to say the least) and the chef coped with his various requests admirably, so well, in fact, that he cleared his plate! The food was extremely tasty (I would recommend the fish) and leave room for a pudding, they're to die for.

Beautiful setting, great service, wonderful food. Top notch, would thoroughly recommend!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I ate here alone when staying at the Fountain Inn. I was immediately made welcome by the young lady on the bar. I had a lovely half of Tanglefoot ale which was great & then had the Chicken Caesar Salad. The Dessert menu looked very tempting but I resisted. Although it was a brief visit it was most enjoyable. Midweek and early evening there was a pleasant atmostphere and the restaurant was already getting busy when I left it at 7.30pm. I do not know what the rooms are like but based on other reviews I may give it a try next time I am in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant
32 the Green
32 the Green
#1 of 4 in Rowlands Castle

Been to The Robin Hood Inn? Share your experiences!