“Shabby chic!”

Taste of India on the Green
Reviewed 17 August 2012

As we were down for a surprise 50th birthday party for a nephew in the village we stayed for a couple of nights before moving to his abode.

Having seen some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive but while it is not in the luxury end of the market, a bit tired and jaded, but our room , the King size room was immaculate, spotlessly clean, with a great view on to the village green.

Breakfast, full english, was excellent.

And a word about our host, Sandra, could'nt be more helpful or friendlier, with a terrific sense of humour. She certainly kept us laughing, with us often being the butt of the humour.

This lady is well known in the village and the locals love her.

Room Tip: Get the Kingsize room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Taste of India on the Green

Reviewed 25 June 2012

i agree totally with the person that stayed on the 8th to the 10th of june 2012.by the reading we had the same room absolutly filthy,grubby.and the towel was still down in the bathroom when we checked in on the 20th of june.the hotel needs shutting down by the health and safety inspectors never again.i think the photos on the website were taken in 2003.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank margaret t
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I went to stay in this place on the 8th to the 10th June 2012.
On arrival I was greeted by Sandra who seemed to be in charge of things, she took me inside the building and showed me my room explaining that breakfast was between 9 to 10am, I was surprised as I had not seen any mention of food in any advertising. Also she showed me the bathroom saying to be careful how I used the shower as the water would make a big mess on the floor; there was already a towel on the floor beside the shower to soak up water. I asked if they had wireless so she got me connected.
When I was left to my own devices I had a really good look around my room to find it was a very sad and tired place to be, everything looked very cheap and nasty the whole room was in need of a major makeover and decoration, one of the TV remote controls was rather disgusting so I would not touch it. The carpet had a big horrible ugly mark on it with two small rugs. It was a bit windy on the Friday night so I had a very disturbed sleep as the two sets of windows rattled so much plus outside I could see a stairway that had a plastic corrugated roof that also was very noisy.
In the bathroom I had concerns as I felt that it was also in need of a major clean and repair and decoration as the drinking beaker was disgusting and dirty as was everything, also a lot of rust was on the radiators. I never used the shower as it looked in a very bad state.The bathroom ceiling was also in need of major repairs as well as the plumbing the soil pipe had silver gaffer tape around it.
All the hallways and corridors plus stairs were very grubby and tired.
I had two Indian meals downstairs in the Taste of India the food was great but again everything especially the carpets were a total health hazard they were extremely dirty and sticky underfoot, I also had a plate exchanged as it was dirty.
In the mornings I had breakfast in the same room in the restaurant and again I had to pick my cereal bowls carefully as they were not spotless. The presentation of the cooked breakfast was bad as the plates had greasy finger marks and grease on the rims, the tea pot was very filthy, also the salt and pepper had fluff on them.
Sandra did say they were happy to have dogs and pets stay in the hotel, she also had two dogs running around the kitchen and dining rooms. On my arrival into the car park again it looked very untidy with a Toyota car looking in bad repair and dog poo on the ground that was cleaned up the next morning. I did see two signs that I think gave a four star rating by the AA back in 2003, 2005.
The reason I stayed here is because it was the cheapest place I could find at £30 per a night online. Would I stay here again No Never.
I wonder how the Health and Safety folk would feel about this place.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for a room away from the pub and the bad windows and stair cover outsid...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Digitalman1
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed for just one night on the Sunday of the Jubilee celebrations, as we were partying with friends, so stayed at The Fountain very briefly. Lovely traditional pub - and great to see a dart board (must go back for a game one day - you don't come across many pubs these days, that haven't been turned into restaurants). The part that houses the accommodation has great character - rather 'tired' decor, but full of charm, non the less. Our room was fine - no more, no less than you would expect, and the bed was comfortable, and the sheets/duvet crisp, clean, and a well-made bed. However the bathroom ... oh dear ... I was so dismayed but the state of the shower (a quick glance was enough to put me off) for once in my life we decided to forgo a refreshing shower in the morning, and wait until we got home. We are early risers, so discovering that breakfast was not served until 9 am, we chose to leave, and have breakfast on the way home, so can't comment on that. But all in all, adequate, and the room was lovely and airy and quiet.

Room Tip: Looking at other reviews, they found the en-suite bathrooms were fine - perhaps we were just unlucky...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MaidinSussex
Reviewed 20 May 2012

After a friendly welcome, I was shown to a wonderful traditionally decorated room with a comfortable bed. The en-suite was fine with everything working.
The pub was extremely friendly, with fine beer, and a plate of excellent curry brought over from the restaurant. It was a music night, and the duo playing were very professional and entertaining.
I'd definitely go again, and would like to thank Herbie and family and staff for a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The pictures on the website do give a slightly optimisitc view of this village pub with rooms. It is easy to find, convenient for Portsmouth and the village is pretty. The entrance to the pub is on one side of the archway and then the entrance to the Indian Restaurant is on the otherside but the rooms are reached via the stairs on the side of the restaurant. The hall & stairs are rather narrow and the decor sets the scene for the room(s) as the DIY decorating is really not very good. I had paid for the Four Poster Room (9) which is at the top of the house in the attic. The original Four Poster Bed is beautiful and there are some quaint little features in the room including fresh flowers, but only a very small chair and even smaller TV so I was glad to only be staying one night as I had to sit on the floor to work. The Bathroom (Shower only) has painted floor boards which are badly in need of repair/painting but the original old sink & toilet are lovely. The modern shower cubicle and electric shower are OK but not great. It really is very clean, warm and the bed was comfortable. I could hear the music in the bar as it was "open mike" night but it stopped at 11pm. The lady who greeted me was very friendly & made me feel welcome but I did not see anyone when I left in the morning. It really depends what you are looking for & what you expect for the price whether this is the sort of place I would recommend. It has huge potential but does need some professional decorating & a few repairs.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Posh100
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Excellent small inn with lovely b&b rooms friendly helpful staff who make you feel right at home. If live music is ur thing you will love it here. I was lucky enough to catch one of their open mic nights and even saw the owner who had been on Britains got talent (Herbie Armstrong)

• Stayed: December 2011
#1 of 4 in Rowlands Castle
Cripple Creek Guest House
Cripple Creek Guest House
#3 of 4 in Rowlands Castle

Been to Taste of India on the Green? Share your experiences!