“ot like the photo's”

Taste of India on the Green
Newport, United Kingdom
“ot like the photo's”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed for 2 nights in November - i had chosen the venue for the location which was near to my meetings - I arrived the first night just before 7pm and was greeted by ? Manager / owner I found her quite abrupt and unfriendly - I was asked if I wanted breakfast but then felt guilty when I suggested I would need breakfast at 0745 as she would have to bein early - she showed me to my room which was really basic and in need of modernisation I know the nightly fees were low but I was shocked!. I did eat in the Indian downstairs which was a pleasant enough experience - if I hadn't have paid in advance I would not have stayed the following night!

Room Tip: Tuesday nights can be noisy the pub next door has live entertainment
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank j p

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2012

The room was totally filthy, absolutely terrible.. could not stay even for a night.. the carpet was so dirty, did not even feel like walking without shoes.. bathroom was disgusting. the light kept on flickering. bed covers were unclean... there was nobody in the inn who could assist.
If anyone is planning to book into this inn..its a baaaaaaaaaad idea

Room Tip: No Room is good
Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Krithika R

Travellers are raving about these Rowlands Castle hotels

Reviewed 16 September 2012

Firstly the positives, the inn is in a fantastic idyllic location, 30 mins from Portsmouth in a gorgeous tiny village, plenty of safe parking and close to rowlands castle rail station.
The negatives, unclean, dated, in need of refurb, dogs pester you while drinking in the pub, not cheap.

One thing though, the lady serving at the bar, although not giving a professional persona, is nonetheless very helpful.

• Stayed September 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

As we were down for a surprise 50th birthday party for a nephew in the village we stayed for a couple of nights before moving to his abode.

Having seen some of the reviews I was a bit apprehensive but while it is not in the luxury end of the market, a bit tired and jaded, but our room , the King size room was immaculate, spotlessly clean, with a great view on to the village green.

Breakfast, full english, was excellent.

And a word about our host, Sandra, could'nt be more helpful or friendlier, with a terrific sense of humour. She certainly kept us laughing, with us often being the butt of the humour.

This lady is well known in the village and the locals love her.

Room Tip: Get the Kingsize room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

i agree totally with the person that stayed on the 8th to the 10th of june 2012.by the reading we had the same room absolutly filthy,grubby.and the towel was still down in the bathroom when we checked in on the 20th of june.the hotel needs shutting down by the health and safety inspectors never again.i think the photos on the website were taken in 2003.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank margaret t
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I went to stay in this place on the 8th to the 10th June 2012.
On arrival I was greeted by Sandra who seemed to be in charge of things, she took me inside the building and showed me my room explaining that breakfast was between 9 to 10am, I was surprised as I had not seen any mention of food in any advertising. Also she showed me the bathroom saying to be careful how I used the shower as the water would make a big mess on the floor; there was already a towel on the floor beside the shower to soak up water. I asked if they had wireless so she got me connected.
When I was left to my own devices I had a really good look around my room to find it was a very sad and tired place to be, everything looked very cheap and nasty the whole room was in need of a major makeover and decoration, one of the TV remote controls was rather disgusting so I would not touch it. The carpet had a big horrible ugly mark on it with two small rugs. It was a bit windy on the Friday night so I had a very disturbed sleep as the two sets of windows rattled so much plus outside I could see a stairway that had a plastic corrugated roof that also was very noisy.
In the bathroom I had concerns as I felt that it was also in need of a major clean and repair and decoration as the drinking beaker was disgusting and dirty as was everything, also a lot of rust was on the radiators. I never used the shower as it looked in a very bad state.The bathroom ceiling was also in need of major repairs as well as the plumbing the soil pipe had silver gaffer tape around it.
All the hallways and corridors plus stairs were very grubby and tired.
I had two Indian meals downstairs in the Taste of India the food was great but again everything especially the carpets were a total health hazard they were extremely dirty and sticky underfoot, I also had a plate exchanged as it was dirty.
In the mornings I had breakfast in the same room in the restaurant and again I had to pick my cereal bowls carefully as they were not spotless. The presentation of the cooked breakfast was bad as the plates had greasy finger marks and grease on the rims, the tea pot was very filthy, also the salt and pepper had fluff on them.
Sandra did say they were happy to have dogs and pets stay in the hotel, she also had two dogs running around the kitchen and dining rooms. On my arrival into the car park again it looked very untidy with a Toyota car looking in bad repair and dog poo on the ground that was cleaned up the next morning. I did see two signs that I think gave a four star rating by the AA back in 2003, 2005.
The reason I stayed here is because it was the cheapest place I could find at £30 per a night online. Would I stay here again No Never.
I wonder how the Health and Safety folk would feel about this place.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask for a room away from the pub and the bad windows and stair cover outsid...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Digitalman1
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed for just one night on the Sunday of the Jubilee celebrations, as we were partying with friends, so stayed at The Fountain very briefly. Lovely traditional pub - and great to see a dart board (must go back for a game one day - you don't come across many pubs these days, that haven't been turned into restaurants). The part that houses the accommodation has great character - rather 'tired' decor, but full of charm, non the less. Our room was fine - no more, no less than you would expect, and the bed was comfortable, and the sheets/duvet crisp, clean, and a well-made bed. However the bathroom ... oh dear ... I was so dismayed but the state of the shower (a quick glance was enough to put me off) for once in my life we decided to forgo a refreshing shower in the morning, and wait until we got home. We are early risers, so discovering that breakfast was not served until 9 am, we chose to leave, and have breakfast on the way home, so can't comment on that. But all in all, adequate, and the room was lovely and airy and quiet.

Room Tip: Looking at other reviews, they found the en-suite bathrooms were fine - perhaps we were just unlucky...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaidinSussex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rowlands Castle
Brookfield Hotel
Brookfield Hotel
#1 of 4 in Emsworth
Premier Inn Portsmouth (Havant) Hotel
Premier Inn Portsmouth Havant South (Langstone/A27)
The Robin Hood Inn
The Robin Hood Inn
#2 of 4 in Rowlands Castle
The Jingles
The Jingles
#2 of 5 in Emsworth
The Old Dairy Farm Luxury B&B and Yurts

Been to Taste of India on the Green? Share your experiences!