“2 DAY BREAK”

Taste of India on the Green
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“2 DAY BREAK”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I arrived on Thursday 1st May at 1.30pm to find door open, however there was no one to be seen. I walked upstairs and actually had to shout hello until someone heard me. A young guy with headphones came from a back doorway. I had to tell him I was booked in with my partner for 2 nights. He gave me my key to the room and said" it's through there. I found my room on my own. Very clean, although a bit dated. A lady named Sandra, who I must say was very pleasant and sociable, knocked on the evening to enquire did I need breakfast. This was included in my package. The mattress on the bed was not at all comfortable. Breakfast the next morning was cooked and served by Sandra in a jovial way and very good I must say. We did go to the restaurant on Friday evening. The curry we had was very nice indeed and the waiters were smiley however very busy. We went into the bar on the evening to find a live band playing and the atmosphere was very good.
The rooms do need updating and must have new mattresses on the beds.All in all a very pleasant stay, however not a very good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Ask if they have recently been refurbished.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sandra d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The lads in the Indian who run it are fine as is the lady who does the breakfast but the room was a shocker. Plastic over a broken window whose frame was rotted, dirty stained carpet, peeling wall paper, cobwebs, fusty smelling furniture, lumpy bed, rubbish telly, 1 old tea mug, roof leaked into room when it rained, patchy and flaking paint in bathroom, dirty toilet seat and buildings boiler situated in bathroom that growled and chunkered all night. Rad so hot room turned into a sauna. No fire escape. Other than that perfect!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Harv1909

Travellers are raving about these Rowlands Castle hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The welcome was really good, And it was unfair for me to moan to the lady who showed us the room. but on getting shown the room it has got to be the most worn out and neglected hotel I have stopped in for £80, The King sized bed room has not seen a duster in months!!! The shower has to run for 20 minutes to get warm. Not the best but then this is my take on it, and it may be acceptable for someone else. We never had breakfast so cannot comment.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevi657
Caerphilly
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I arrived and nobody was to be seen (the place doesn't have a reception area). Then I bumped into an Indian bloke unloading a car and he arranged for another Indian bloke to show me to my room. He took me there, opened the door and left without saying a word, so I was none the wiser on how I paid, what time and where breakfast was to be served etc. Another lady knocked on the door some hours later to see what time I wanted breakfast (but not too early, wouldn't want to put anybody out now would we!), she seemed ok if a little abrupt.

The twin room was shabby and dirty, no ifs or buts, it really needs to be refurbished ASAP. The carpet was filthy and ill fitting and there was lots of dust on everything, including the kettle of all things. There was cob webs near the curtains, the tiles in the shower were shabby and one of the windows had a large crack. I nearly left about 20 minutes after I arrived, I never because I thought I might be charged anyway (even though it was cheap) as I had booked it through Laterooms.

I had a meal in the night in the Indian restaurant downstairs and while it was tasty enough the two waiters on duty were very miserable, they sort of matched the whole establishment in a way though!

In the morning (at 8.10) I went to where breakfast was supposedly served (the Indian restaurant) and the place was in darkness. There was a small selection of cereals put out but no milk or juice and certainly no sign of anybody cooking anything so I left and had breakfast in another cafe a few miles away.

In summary, whilst I slept well enough (I always sleep with ear plugs in), the room was warm and the place was in a nice location it really needs to be decorated and cleaned and have more structure regarding a reception area and breakfast, with maybe a information booklet placed in each room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank sprice74
bideford
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A great find for the ease of getting to the Goodwood revival meeting. The proprietors, Herbie and Lisa were very welcoming and "Girl Friday" Sandra sets everyone up with a great breakfast. The decor is extremely tired, maybe in part to Herbie and Lisa leaving the inn this month. The room contained a very comfortable bed and a nice TV and had onsite parking. That was what I was looking for so I was quite happy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 83malc83
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We have just returned from a 1 night stay at this establishment.

It was the BEST welcome we have ever received from an owner. Herbie is a lovely lovely man.
We had booked for 2 nights but the place was just too dirty.
We had a twin room.
Dirty,paint worn away, dirty carpets. dirty skirting boards, unwiped radiators, awefuf fittings. Grubby towels and sheets and really dirty shabby fabric headboards.
The shower room was worse. Dirty grouting, smashed broken tiles, filthy floor covering.
The bar could be described as"shabby chic" by some but really it was grubby.
The Indian restaurant (part of the premises) served really really excellent Indian food but the carpets and chairs were filthy.

It is such a shame that the owners have let this happen.
The situation of the inn is second to none.
It could be the "PLACE TO GO"
It was cheap but even when somewhere is cheap,it should still be clean.

Room Tip: Don't go until you read that it has been refurbished.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank allforeign
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We can upon this B&B quite by chance a few years ago when we were in the area for a party. Ever since it has been our place of choice to stay twice a year for the Goodwood FoS and Revival. Sandra is an absolute treasure; friendly and outgoing with nothing too much trouble she sets up every day with a hearty breakfast and laughter, and you can't ask for more than that. Herbie & Lisa make most excellent hosts. The rooms are shabby chic, very clean and comfortable. Fresh flowers give it that little something extra ... Great stay, see you all again in September

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 4 in Rowlands Castle
The Jingles
The Jingles
#2 of 5 in Emsworth

Been to Taste of India on the Green? Share your experiences!