“Absolutely wonderful”

Ranked #4 of 41 Boumalne Dades B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Absolutely wonderful”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

After a long day of traveling through Morocco, Dar Jnan Tiouira was the perfect place to rest and recoup. The riyahd/kasbah style was beautiful, detailed, and charming. Everything had a distinct Moroccan look but still was modern. Everywhere you turn is an invitation to sit down, relax and enjoy the view. The owner, Mustapha, was probably the sweetest person I met in my 9 day travel through Morocco and I wish I had more time to stay and get to know him. He made the business so that his 11 siblings would have a place to work. Both him and his siblings are so friendly and generous, let alone excellent cooks. I highly recommend the chocolate cake. I really have no complaints about my short stay here other than I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This place was recommended to us by fellow travellers and we were so glad we followed their advice!
This is a lovely Kasbah, situated on the edge of the River Dades oasis (and with a delightful view of the lush gardens and rugged hills on the other side of the valley). The owner Mustapha built the Kasbah himself over a ten year period and while it faithfully reproduces the traditional style and materials, his personal attention to the design details make it a stunning place to stay. Our room on the third level opened onto a large terrace and had a 2.5 x 2.5 metre double bed and plenty of comfortable pillows. The terrace had comfortable relaxation furniture, storks nests on the towers just metres away. The internal dining courtyard was also charming not only visually but the food here is delicious and beautifully presented. What a treat.
Most important of all, is the host Mustapha. He is a most charming, wise and interesting man who, if you wish it, will share his life and culture with you. We learned so much of the village and Berber culture in general that could not have been gained so happily any other way. We left feeling very relaxed, and privileged to have had the experience.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want - Mustapha will reply quickly.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate O
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My partner and I were here in April.
Dar Jnan Tiouira is a beautifully designed and decorated kasbah. Amazing to step into this historic architecture which upholds all modern function for comfort and convenience beyond expectation while staying true to its form, down to the use of mud brick!
The riad is located with the valley and mountains at the doorstep, the landscape is a contrast between colorful fields and orange hills beyond. Exciting to explore as the area is full of history and ruins of ancient kasbahs all around.
At dinner we were pleased to be served a less typical meal than the usual tagines on offer around Morocco. This was one of my best meals of the trip, the chef was fantastic and every course delicious, down to the best chocolate cake desert I've had in ages!
At night we explored the rooftop terraces which are open spaces for lounging and looking over the valley and beyond, the night sky is amazingly clear here, perfect for stargazing.
Mustapha must be praised for the wonderful job he has done in constructing his castle to his delicious food and welcoming hospitality, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone seeking a peaceful retreat, I wish I could have stayed much longer.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the valley
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bilbao
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed one night at Dar Jnan Tiouria , unfortunately other days were fully booked, and had a great time and experience with Mustapha and her sisters. The Kasbah, built by the family for over 10 years, is really beautiful, with a very nice patio and a terrace overlooking the village gardens. The rooms maintain a classic berebere style. Dinner was great as Mustapha and his brother have experience as chefs and have adapted and modernized typical berebere dishes.
We were eager to trekk in the gorge but as guides were not available Mustapha offered himself to guide as along the gorge and we walked up and down for more than five hours.
The family is enchanting and willing to help. The whole atmosphere is fantastic, we will surely return as the dessert trip with Mustapha is still pending.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Our Agency booked 1 night in this Auberg. It is located in front to a wonderfull oasis, so you can take a beautiful walk trough the fields of some friendly farmers. You hear many animal noises and it is a special, relaxing athmosphere.
The Staff is also very helpfull und welcoming. On the roof, we had a nice talk with the owner, which made the place even more magical. From this rooftop you can enjoy a beautiful starnight with shooting stars. The Food is very different to everything we ate in Marroko. The Cooks are dedicated to serve you something delicious and special. We loved this place and were sad, that we could not stay longer.
Definitely recommended!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Superb hotel hidden in the Bourmalne Dades valley. The interior design was very authentic and its service is exceptional. I had a great stay at this hotel and I highly recommend it. My room was very charming and the dinner service was very good. The only drawback was no wifi, so I can't share my pictures with friends fast enough, then again, I wasn't expecting easy access in the mountain area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dublin
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We (family of 2 adults and 3 children) stayed for 1 night on 18 April and with all there is to do in the area we should have stayed for at least 3.

We had a very spacious, clean bedroom which accommodated the whole family of two adults and three children. There are no plumbing issues. Just outside your bedroom door there is a lovely terrace with loungers. It's a lovely place to sip a mint tea whilst enjoying the views across the valley.

There is evidence of a few pieces of minor building work yet to be completed.

Dinner was served at 20.30 and I can say with all sincerity that I'd give the main course chicken dish a 10 out of 10 for taste and for presentation it was a superb 10/10.

Service and attention to detail is close to what you'd expect at a 5 star hotel but Dar Jnan Tiouira is more than that. Its small and personal without being over powering.

We chatted with the pleasant owner and he told us of his plans to appeal more to longer stays of 3 to 5 nights. He envisions appealing to travellers who wish to participate in cookery courses, photography courses and cultural tours using Dar Jnan Tiouira as their base.

If he keeps up the high standards he displayed on our short stay the world's his oyster and I wish him the luck he deserves.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family