“Perfectly adequate”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penkridge
Scotland
“Perfectly adequate”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed with my two dogs for one night. I left them in the room while I had a bar meal. Meal was fine, although I was disappointed that the white wine was not chilled. Request to the management – please remove the large terracotta pot ashtrays from the small terrace area outside as I would have liked to sit out there but the smell of fag ends stopped me. My room must have been refurbished as the bathroom was fresh and clean and the furniture was not mismatched. I appreciated the free wi-fi. I had a very good night’s sleep and the bed was very comfortable. There is obviously further work to be done, and the view from my window was less than scenic, but I felt that for what I paid it was very good value and I was not made to feel at all unwelcome having the dogs with me. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place this review and hope that your next visit is as pleasurable and memorable as this one was.

Adam Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We booked this hotel to break our holiday journey between Cornwall and Northumberland because of its geographical location (i.e. halfway) and the fact they advertise their hotel as “Dog Friendly”.
We arrived to what was on first impressions a very pleasant setting coupled with what appeared to be a fairly cosy and relaxed reception area (we would become very familiar with this area of the hotel).We were greeted by a member of staff who was very friendly but who later it transpired had omitted to inform us of any of the facts re the Health Spa. etc. which we only gleamed later whilst overhearing a young French couple checking in. This was at about 8pm however which by this time for us was useless.
On checking in I asked if food was being served all evening and in what area we could sit with our Border Collie. I would never expect the restaurant (obviously) however the staff appeared puzzled by this which I thought somewhat strange if, as they claim to be, the hotel is dog friendly then surely they have had such a question before? After some discussion between receptionist and barman they decided we were allowed to sit in the area of the bar pointing to four seats by the door (this is the area most of us would refer to as the reception) but, were informed, we were to go no further! “The dog may upset those guests in the area of the bar”. (15 feet away)
Having checked in we found our room to be in need of some serious TLC. There were silhouettes made up of dust/dirt around the walls showing a former life where fixtures and fittings once stood, even the odd picture hook remained. As already remarked in another review the current offering of furniture did indeed look as if from a jumble sale. It was a mess!
The shower leaked, the bathroom ceiling was damp, the paint was peeling off. The wooden pelmet around the window looked like it had been given a thin coat of white wash rather than paint!
Outside our room, was a tray of dirty dishes from a previous resident which were still there when we checked out the next day.
The bedding was clean and the bed fairly comfortable.
Before dinner we had a walk along the near bye canal which was very pleasant. On our return we sat in reception (doorway) as instructed, longingly gazing at the area of the bar where only two other guests kicked back in opulent spacious luxury. The restaurant beyond was just a mere dream to the "likes of us".
We ordered from the menu, two steaks which came with mushrooms and chips. They were served, well I say served more like thrown on to the table on a tray the Rovers Return would have been ashamed of, before the waiter (sorry barman we wouldn’t want to get above ourselves), did an about turn and walked off. The poor customer service would have stood out in a greasy spoon motorway café. I followed him in hot pursuit enquiring if we could please have some "French mustard" no less, before returning him his tray and returning to our pigeon hole, head bowed.
The steaks, £20 each! I can honestly say were some of the worst I have ever eaten, well actually, I didn't but I had lost the will to live at this point. When an hour after we had finished a member of staff returned to collect the dishes, (no question of her asking if we wanted dessert) I had established it really wasn’t worth wasting my breath complaining. By the way the only reason anyone cleared our dishes was because the restaurant was now closed and the staff were looking for something to do.
The waitress staff were very pleasant as was the French girl working on the reception on the night of our stay, maybe she could pass on some tips to her colleague.
During said “meal” our ferocious border collie jumped up and barked wagging her tale, at an entering guest from the statue like position she had occupied all evening in our “snug”. This invited a stone like look of disapproval from our dog friendly receptionist working along side the French girl above.
We retired to bed for the evening only to be woken at 3am by a group of drunken yobs in the car park, no idea if they had been at a function at the hotel, clearly they didn’t have a dog, they would never have gotten in!
Next morning breakfast was served in a rather pokey little room. It seems you had to be “in the know” if you wanted anything as daring as hash browns and fried eggs as did some who appeared to receive waitress like service, whilst the rest of us in steerage would have to make do with what was on offer. When asking for toast, as none was on offer, we were presented with two slices of warm bread.
I pointed out our concerns on checking out for all it was worth.
£96 for a very shabby clearly dog unfriendly establishment. Thankfully I am safe in the knowledge I will never have to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PaulnVikki
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear Guest

I write further your review and thank you for taking the time to inform me of the situation. Please accept my sincere apologies, I fully appreciate the experience during your stays did not meet the expectations you have of the Mercure brand

I have discussed your dissatisfaction with my housekeeping and reception managers, and I have taken action to prevent the discussed regretful incidents from repeating.

We pride ourselves on the whole experience and would hate for this recent stay to be your lasting impression of Mercure and The Hatherton House Hotel and please let me ensure you these stays were a one off disappointment. Please could you contact me personally so I may restore your faith in The Hatherton House Hotel and Mercure Brand. You can reach me on 01785 712 459 or by e-mail, gm@hotels-stafford.com.

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Adam Thompson

Travellers are raving about these Penkridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Convenient for Penkridge but ,as others have advised, at the weekend some rooms may be noisy if there is a function on. Our room was fine -following the advice here I requested a quiet room. The room was a good size and the bathroom was spacious.

There was a good choice for breakfast. The small dining room had a good ambience, the larger one much less so.

We took advantage of the spa facilities which were rather run down. These could be much improved but it would require a large investment. However, for the price we paid the hotel offered good value for money and the staff were extremely helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travelaholi
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments as it is always helpful to receive feedback. I will pass your comments to the rest of the team and will hopefully see you back in the not too distant future.

Berkshire
Reviewed 19 July 2011

This was a weekend away with the girls and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff are very friendly and happy to help but service can be a little slow. We ordered lunch on our last day and salads and sandwiches took over an hour so two of us had to cancel and run for our train.
Overall though a lovely hotel - clean and in a nice location with good facilities.

Room Tip: if your room is hot when you arrive ask to be moved as the windows donot open far
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments as it is always helpful to receive feedback. I will pass your comments to the rest of the team and I will personally look into the wait for food comment. I will hopefully see you back in the not too distant future.

Glasgow
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We had the "pleasure" to stay at the hotel twice within a week due to travelling down south and coming back up a week later. We had a bad experience staying at the hotel and I assumed we must have had a bad one-off experience. However, since the second stay wasn't much better, I assume that this is the standard to expect from this hotel.

We (2 adults and one 4yr old) arrived on a Wednesday evening and were chuffed to see a hotel with such a grand name and in the beautiful side street of Penkridge. When we entered the lounge, it felt quite nice and homely. We were greeted by two polite and helpful members of staff (in their twenties) and handed our room key card for the family room. The hotel was fairly quiet that evening - only a couple of guests sat at the bar. When we entered our room and preceded to walk in, we found a half unpacked suitcase and laptop bag on the beds. We were quite shocked and walked straight back out. When I explained to the receptionists that this room was already taken, they wouldn't want to believe it. I had to repeat several times that somebody already occupied the room until they were over the shock of a double booking and started to find a solution. Frantically, one tried to call the manager on duty - with no success. It turned out that the last available family room had obviously been given to a single guest. It took about 20 minutes until the situation was sorted. In this time the manager (who was helping the receptionist to find us a new room) walked past several times but did not make any effort to speak to us, or explain/apologies for the situation - something I felt rather disappointed by.

We finally got into our room and were glad to find 3 beds, although the single bed for our daughter had obviously been moved into the room for this one night only. The room was a mess. There were two big holes in the centre of the wall above the bed (I assume at some point someone tried to drill holes for picture frames there but failed…) and the furniture looked as if it had been collected from a jumble sale. Nothing fit together. The bathroom floor was absolutely disgusting - the tiles were dark from dirt and age - there were spider webs in the bottom (!!) corners of the bathroom and there was only one set of towels. When I walked back to the reception, to ask for more towels I was told that there were more in the wardrobe. So back to the room. Only one more towel in the wardrobe, so back to the reception AGAIN, to ask for another set of towels so that all three of us could use the bathroom… We finally got into bed about 1.5 hours after we arrived at the hotel and we were shattered. It then turned out that the bathroom fan would always stay on for half an hour after the light was switched off, even when you were just in the bathroom for 2 minutes. It was so noisy and really annoying throughout the night.

As I said, the staff were very friendly, so I really put it down to coincidence that the room was in such a mess and there was the mess-up with the room. Maybe it was coincidence. However, we were booked into the room a week later and would find out that not much had changed…

Again, we checked in at night and moved into our room. This time, it was not already occupied by another guest but the state of the room was the same. Furniture style was all over the place and the bathroom was as grubby as the week before. The fixed showered above the bath is not the easiest to work when with a child. You cannot switch the shower on without getting soaked yourself because you need to stand underneath to reach the tabs. Did I mention that, again, we had to walk back to the reception because there weren't enough towels? I am not sure what is so difficult in reading that the room is booked for 3 people, so they will be expecting 3 towels???

This time, the vent connected to the bathroom light switched off straight after switching off the lights, which was great. Not great however was the constant vibration that came of the nearby external vent that must have extracted air from the leisure centre area. It was right above our heads and continued all night. It was also fantastic to experience that the family room was based immediately next to the only entrance door of the floor which meant that this door shut with a loud bang pretty much every time a guest went to their room on this floor. Great with a young child!! Since we had experienced this before in other hotels we had made sure to book a hotel with a late (12 pm) check-out so that we could sleep a bit longer in the morning to compensate for late nights due to noise. However, we realised in the morning that pretty much every room on our floor was being refurbished that week, resulting in drilling and other builder work noises starting at 8:30 am. We had another trip to reception in the morning because we didn't have a kettle in the room (although there were cups, teas, coffees, sugar etc on a tray). It took about half an hour for the care taker manager to show up, who couldn't believe that nothing was there. She nearly insisted on checking the room for the kettle as if she didn't want to believe us - very uncomfortable for everyone involved. She took a kettle out of next doors room and we were finally allowed a coffee. At 10:30 we had a knock at our room door and the builder (who had obviously been busy next door) stood in the hallway asking if we were going to leave soon so he could do whatever he needed to do in our room. At this point I was rather annoyed and told him that we would leave at 12pm - something he wasn't too please with.

Overall, we had a horrible two nights at this hotel, and I am not sure how the company Mercure feel about a business in such a state. The hotel doesn't live up to the big name and the fancy (but again mixed furniture) lounge so that every guest must be disappointed when they walk into their rooms. I would definitely NOT stay in this hotel again (unless the refurbishment is of such extent that the rooms and especially bathrooms are transformed) and can only advise friends and family to look somewhere else. The young staff were very pleasant, although appeared rather unprepared and out of their depth - I would wish for them to one day work in a better place.

One bad experience can be excused - two bad experiences just vouch for negligence.

Room Tip: DON'T use room 109 and 112...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Dear Guest

I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Derbyshire
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We went there on an all-inclusive package and it was certainly very good value. The food and wine were good and the staff were very quick to serve and seemed keen for you to get your money's worth.
The reception staff where quick to check our party in 10 in total and friendly to all of us.
The pool is a little small but this was not a 5 star hotel the young man on the gym reception went the extra mile showing us around and helping with machine set up and smilling all the time.
Jack the duty manager went onto his laptop to help us find directions for our trip on the Sunday and made sure we all sat together for meals.

This was excellent value for money and the staff made thiis short break fun.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

we where 1 of 3 couples who stopped at the hotel on an all-inclusive basis booked through Hotelshop it was excellent value for money. The food was superb and the staff could not have done more for us especially Jack and Abbi who went that extra mile to make our stay even better. we would definitely recommend this hotel for value for money booked on the all inclusive basis

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments, I will pass them on to Jack, Abbi and all of my team.

Adam Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penkridge
The Moat House
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Weston Hall
Weston Hall
#1 of 11 in Stafford

Been to Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel? Share your experiences!