“Mid-range hotel - godd for an overnight”

Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penkridge
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Mid-range hotel - godd for an overnight”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed for one night for which it was ok. Room was clean and bed comfortable. Shower was a challenge to set at the right temperature and loo flush took some effort. It was a bit noisy from other rooms and the railway across the grounds.Tea tray was a bit sparse - only 2 tea bags!! Staff were friendly and helpful. Room service breakfast was good and arrived on time.

Room Tip: At back of hotel might be quieter
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts to this site. We certainly apreciate your feed-back and will set to work on putting right the bathroom problems, however we are pleased that you found the room to be clean and the bed comfortable

Emily Rogers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Wells-next-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Terrible place, don't bother staying here as your trip won't be great! Here's a selection of problems I had:
-Hotel took money from my credit card without my permission and when question tried to laugh it off.
-"Free hi-speed wifi in rooms" as advertised is a complete lie - I had no wifi signal in my room and where there was signal, speed was slow at best.
-As for breakfast or dinner, don't bother - service is a shambles, food is sparse and overpriced - go to the Littleton Arms just round the corner, we did most nights in the end.
-Room temperature flucuated from freezing to boiling, as did shower temperature and room was noisy all night not leading to good nights sleep.
-Hotel looks like it was last cared about 10 years ago - needs painting, fixing and a general injection of life!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Andrew S

I am very sorry to read your review on trip advisor, at this stage I can only apologise for the problems that you had during your stay

Emily Rogers

Travellers are raving about these Penkridge hotels

luton
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights on business. Very friendly and professional staff. Room was spacious and food was to a high standard. Health club facilities were clean. Shame the pool wasnt a little bit bigger but that is a minor gripe. All in all a very pleasant hotel stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review, hope to see you again soon

Bedford
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Two friends, my husband and I stayed here for two nights on a Great Little Breaks all inclusive deal. It was very good value for money. The food, breakfasts, lunches and dinners, were all excellent. The breakfast was cooked fresh so everything was hot. The dinner choices were very varied - the duck breast was particularly tasty.

Although we were unable to upgrade our rooms, they were perfectly fine. Very comfortable beds, cotton sheets, lovely large towels, an excellent shower and flat screen tv.

The deal included free drinks (house wine soft drinks larger and bitter) between 7 and 11 pm. The house wines, red, white and rose were all very good.

The hotel has an adjoining leisure centre with a small but warm pool. I also enjoyed the use of the steam room. A tip however, if you go to the leisure centre when the staff are not on duty take your room towel and sometimes there are no towels readily available.

The hotel is very well situated between junctions 12 and 13 of the M6 but down a quiet lane out of the village (although adjacent to the station which does have lots of trains going through).

I can thoroughly recommend this hotel and particularly the all inclusive deal with Great Little Breaks

Room Tip: There is no lift so if you have mobility issues as we do, best to request a ground floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigtrippertoo
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
What a great start to the day ! - thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review I am delighted you enjoyed it and hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards

Holywell Green, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights on a voucher which we were given for christmas through buyagift.com,

The hotel was very small and quaint and when we arrived we were warmly greeted and given all the relevant information.

The hotel room was very well presented and modern. All I would say would be wrong with the room would be the shower screen. When you had a shower the water leaked all over the bathroom floor, but overall the room was lovely. We decided to have room service on the first night, it arrived late but the waiter apologised and we had no problems with this. I must say the food was delicious especially the chips.

We enjoyed the food so much we decided to book a table on the Sat evening.

We were shown to our table and the waitress said I will be back with your menu. However ten minutes later she never came back. The waitress seemed to be too bothered with another party of people she seemed to know. So luckily for us, another couple gave us their menu and said we had to wait a while too. Another ten minutes went by when the waitress came back and took our orders,

We didn't have to wait long when our starters arrived. My husband ordered the mushrooms, which were cold. Upon telling the waitress she said right - I will tell the chef, no apology whatsoever! Then the mains came, again my food was hot but not piping hot, my husbands chicken was cold. Again the waitress was told the chicken was cold, again I will tell the chef. I was gobsmacked, that no apology was coming our way.

The breakfast each morning was very good and food was very good qality with a choice from the buffet and a choice of the menu.

When we checked out we the receptionist gave us our bill and my husband paid. After he had settled the bill the receptionist said is everything ok with your stay, to which my husband replied yes apart from the cold meal, the receptionist said did you mention it? My husband said yes to the waitress, the receptionist replied oh good. Again no apology.

We used the leisure facilities, which were a little small, but adequate for what we needed it for.

The stay overall was very good and the hotel was in a good location, however was marred by the fact that the hotel did not give two hoots about our concerns over the meal.

I would stay here again if only the staff seemed to care about customer service and the opinions of the customer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lady-Ward
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Firstly please accept my apologies, we usually enjoy good reviews on our team and service I am sorry that on this occasion it was not up to standard. I will discuss with the team to ensure that we learn and improve.

Thank you for your review, I hope we see you again in the future

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Booked this hotel as we were lunching in Penkridge with a relative over from Canada and didn't want to travel back to West Sussex the same day. The building could do with some TLC on paintwork etc inside and the car park could do with some brightening up. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was large, bed was clean and very comfortable. Bathroom was a good size and well equipped. Did not have dinner, but breakfast was first class. Overall we were very pleased with this accommodation and, if the occasion arises, would be happy to stay here again. For reference, our negatives are that windows could do with a clean, the bathroom radiator was leaking (and had been for a while) and could only get tepid water through shower. O

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Many thanks for your review I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, our window cleaner is due again next week I will advise him accordingly.
I am surprised at your comment regarding hot water as we usually enjoy it in plentiful supply, I will ask the maintenance manager to look into this to ensure no repetition.

Thanks again for your review and hope to see you again soon

Kind regards

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

4 of us went to this hotel on an 'all inclusive' weekend deal. Our room was large and airy, hospitality tray was well stocked with drinks. The bathroom was large with excellent water pressure and large fluffy towels. Unfortunately the enamel on the bath had been damaged and left unrepaired which detracted from the overall good impression. Also the toilet flush was terrible felt as though it had to be pumped to get any flush at all. Toiletries were provided and replenished each day.
The staff are really friendly and made the stay even better by being chatty.
The dining room was warm and comfortable and the staff attentive, no problem with providing food for my Coeliac husband , however we always travel with our own bread. There was another Coeliac in the hotel who had phoned to let them know but there was no bread available for him..... not good as gluten free bread could be frozen and kept for visitors. The menu was excellent and the food served piping hot and on hot plates.
Breakfast was varied with an excellent choice.
Small problem with the bill on checking out was soon rectified to our satisfaction, all done very pleasantly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback please accept my apologies for the enamel in the bathroom this has now been added to our maintenance managers job list.
Please also accept my apologies for the lack of GF bread it is something we usually have as my daughter is also Coeliac and I understand the headache of carrying it around with you all of the time!

Thank you for your kind words regarding the food I will pass them on to the chef.

Many thanks once again
Jeff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penkridge
Oak Farm Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel
Best Western Stafford M6/J14 Tillington Hall Hotel
Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel

Been to Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel? Share your experiences!