“Pleasant stay”

Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Penkridge
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights with my partner, teen ginger step son and 8 year old daughter for a couple of days adventure at Alton Towers. Rooms were clean and perfectly adequate for our needs, staff were pleasant and helpful, food was lovely.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you very much for your comments of which i have passed onto my team.Hope you all had a lovely time at Alton Towers & hope to see you all again soon & enjoy this wonderful weather we are having.
Kind Regards
Peter Miller
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stay here all the time and have seen an old run down building change hands many times, each new owner changes some parts of the decoration or beds and even TVs.
the rooms are getting there and I will keep on staying here as it has good points and bad points just like any other hotel, good points are getting better all the time but the bad points are still there such as Wi-Fi way way to slow you cant stream anything from it with out stopping no mater where in the hotel you are .
the showers are fast and very good in most rooms but the partitions on the side of the baths all leak I have not found one yet that hasn't leaked a lot during a shower, on one of my last stays ( I stay here about four to six months in total in a year) I ordered room service which they charge an extra £5 to bring the try to your room, I had a burger with chips and salad plus I asked for a stilton sores with it while eating it I bit something hard and took it out of my mouth to find a piece of metal that looked like it had come off a tin when opening it , I immediately contacted reception and they were very apologetic and said they would change the meal for a new one and that I would not have to pay for the tray charge(thanks for that) they brought my meal to the room a second time and I poured the sauce over the burger and looked inside the bowel that the sauce came in, on putting my finger in, to my horror I found another piece of metal which I took the whole try back to reception, again they apologised and I went back to my room, they then phoned my room and said I could have anything off the menu free of charge those type of mistakes should not happen in the first place never mind twice????.
I am reluctant to eat in there anymore but will stay again as its the best in the area lets hope they stop serving pieces of metal in the food as I could have quite easily swallowed them and been very ill as they were very sharp.
I again complained to reception on the last morning but as usual have heard nothing from them not even a letter of apology

Room Tip: any on the second floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank roxey64
HotelManagerStafford, Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Thank you for your comments and your business at the Mercure Stafford. I am pleased to see that the work we have done is being noticed but can only apologise that the wi-fi has not come up to your expectations. We are hoping that the work we do in the week commencing 4 August will improve this service.
I was on duty the day that we served the beef burger with the metal in the food, I was horrified when I heard but even more so when it happened a second time. This metal was from the scourer and as a result we have stopped using these. Perhaps you do not recall but once you re-ordered I delivered the third tray to the room myself in order to apologise in person. As promised I also removed all charges from the bill and on reviewing the paid invoice i can see that we also removed the tray charge for the second day, the third meal was charged in full.
Once again I would like to apologise and assure you that all steps are in place to avoid this happening again. I am sorry if your were expecting a written apology and in hindsight, perhaps I should have done this.
Perhaps you would like to contact me when you are next in the hotel and we could have a chat
Kind regards

Peter Miller

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Staff were very nice and informative as well as assuring we were well kept and looked after. Cleaning staff did an amazing job each day. Food in the hotel was very tasty indeed and also were very helpful with my girlfriends allergies.

Room Tip: Because of a local train station I would personally advise to stay away from the front of the hotel...
2  Thank MrMoon123
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for your feed-back this week. I am delight to hear that you had a good stay and your kind words will be shared with the team
Yours truly

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

My Husband & I stayed here for the Fishomania weekend, our room was lovely, the bathroom could have done with a slight update but all the Staff, Food & Service was 100% / Well Done - Happy Customers ☺️

• Stayed: July 2014
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you very much for putting your thoughts on Tripadvisor. I am always delighted to hear that guests have enjoyed their stay and that they will be visiting us again. I am sorry that the bathroom was not as good as it could have been but we are working on this.
Many thanks again

Reviewed 12 July 2014

the hotel and leisure centre were very well equipped.the staff were very helpful and friendly.the food was excellent,from table dote menu or you could pay a small supplement to upgrade to a steak witch was cooked perfectly.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to put your comments on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back to the hotel again

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend recently stayed at the Mercure hotel in Penkridge on a Alton towers getaway. We weren't expecting anything fancy because we paid so little for the whole trip but were pleasantly surprised at how lovely the hotel was. Clean, friendly, quiet and relaxing just what we needed after a busy day at Alton towers.

Breakfast was lovely! The rooms were comfortable and spacious, the bathrooms clean and again very spacious!

A very enjoyable stay I must say, we will be returning.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Kimberley B
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for your kid comments, which I will share with the team
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights and never again, the hotel is old,run down and in need of some tlc!rooms awful,rusty taps ,stained bathtub,bathmat in pieces,was given an upgrade room that was smelly,no air,a heater that wouldn't,t turn off and right next to two very dirty office rooms that looked like they had never seen a cleaner.the whole place needs condemning till someone gets to grip with it.its only saving grace was nice friendly staff and good food.not at all like a Mecure hotel at all.could never recommend it to anyone.not impressed when waitress was told by chef to tell customer that he,d burnt the garlic bread so wouldn't,t be charging him for it!,,,,,

Room Tip: Find a different hotel!,,,
1  Thank joycelot
HotelManagerStafford, General Manager at Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Stafford South Penkridge
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.
The bedroom you were allocated on arrival is one of our larger rooms which people usually like, however when you pointed out to our Deputy Manager, Peter, that the heating was on he promptly moved you as he could not see why it was on. Peter later discovered that this room has an odd heater that is controlled separately from the rest of the hotel and someone had switched it on in error.
Our bathrooms are all in good working order, however we do need to upgrade the taps in all areas. I am sure this will happen in time.
I am sorry you saw the offices, they are clean but not well decorated, we prefer to spend what money we have on the guest areas. I will ensure we close the doors
Thank you for your kind comments about the staff and the food, I will circulate this to them

Emily Rogers

Also consider these accommodations in or near Penkridge
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#2 of 5 in Stone
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Stafford South Hatherton House Hotel? Share your experiences!