“A Blissful Experience on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Abaka Bay Resort

Abaka Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ile-a-Vache
Beijing
“A Blissful Experience on one of the best beaches in the Caribbean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My daughter and I have stayed three nights on the beautiful beach of Abaka Bay. We had a very relaxing time in this paradisiac setting. The reputation of the beach is well-deserved: white sand and crystal waters, very sheltered bay, no big waves.
Our bungalow was a few steps from the shore. We had great sunsets and even witnessed an amazing moonset on the ocean on our last morning.
The bungalow number 16 was spacious and bright, the beds very comfortable. The shower had good pressure and warm watter. The bathroom was spacious but there was no shampoo, just soap, so if you go, make sure to bring your own. There is no fridge in the room. Two small bottles of water were provided each day. If you order extras, there will be charged one $ each.
There were comfortable beach chairs and umbrellas right in front of our bungalow with good internet connection.
The staff was friendly. We were warmly greeted and briefed by Jean on our arrival. The overall quality of service was excellent.
On the other hand, the quality of the food varied greatly. We had some good meals but sometimes we felt there was not enough of some of the food, especially fruit. I am not sure my vegan daughter would have enough food options, if she came to stay at the resort. Our last morning was very disappointing, there was just white bread, butter and peanut butter and a soup. The two previous mornings there had been pancakes, but they were on the dry side. Each guest was only served one glass of juice and a small plate of fruit. The eggs cooking station was excellent though. The cook made delicious egg dishes to your order.
There were langostas one night. I especially loved the Lambi dishes (conch meat), a local delicacy. The local meat is mostly cabri (goat) or chicken. Vegetables and starch are self served and as much as you want to eat but meat and some seafood are carefully served by the staff. No guest can pile too much food on his plate,and this is not a bad thing, nothing is wasted. Haitian rice and 'maiz moulu' were also favorites. Also delicious avocados on the first day. Only soda drinks and still water were included, any other beverage were extra. You could not order wine by the glass. A local beer cost $3.
On the Saturday and Sunday several boats of day trippers came and spent the day on the beach and lunch time was a bit chaotic on Saturday probably because of the large number of people to accommodate. Lunch was delayed until 2: 15 pm. Hungry people were all sitting and waiting but in the end, there was enough food for everybody and the wait was worth it, the meal was delicious! The day trippers stayed mostly on one side of the beach, so we were not disturbed and still had our corner of beach to ourselves.This would probably not be a problem if you came in the low season.
We were warned by the staff about sandflies. They are only active from late afternoon to night fall and early morning before sunrise. It is best to wear repellent on exposed areas, especially ankles, wrists and feet, which they like to feast on. If bitten, they can be itchy but their bites do not carry any disease. Just wear long pants and sleeves if you are out during their meal time.
We went to the famous sand bar named Ile des Amoureux, which we had to ourselves and it was a fantastic experience. I had a leisure walk on the island, escorted by a local young man. It was very pleasant. He told me the island is very safe to explore. There is no crime. People are very friendly to foreigners and not pushy. I had nice morning walks on the beautiful beach. One side of the bay has cliffs, there is a cave with bats. I saw some cows grazing on the shore. Maybe they justify the name of the island. A great place to jog on the fine sand.
Also, expect the departure of the boat from Les Cayes to the resort to be very, very flexible. It is real Haitian rubber time! We arrived too early in Les Cayes and had to wait a long time. Mechanical problems and weather were blamed for our delayed departure. We tried not to let it stress yourselves, after all this was normal for Haïti and we were on vacation. On our last morning, we wish we had known that our boat would be leaving much later than anticipated though and we could have spent an extra hour and a half on the beach instead of on the dock.
Overall, this is a beach worth staying on and we had a memorable stay. We are sure to be back one day. This time we will try to stay longer. It was difficult to leave such a blissful and restful place.

Room Tip: Stay on the beach, the bungalows are nice and just a step away from the sea
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Florence B
abaka, Manager at Abaka Bay Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
We are happy that you had an enjoyable experience and were able to acclimate yourself to the pace of the island. We look forward to your return

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Abaka Bay Resort recently. Our experience was positive from start to finish. The boat picked us up at the Les Cayes' wharf in a timely manner, staff were on hand to help with boarding. The ride there was comfortable and very scenic. We were warmly greeted by the staff including the owner with a refreshing punch and promptly escorted to our room. Room was modern, literally a few feet from the water, with functional AC. The staff without any exception was attentive, friendly and helpful. Julien made sure our every need in the dining room were promptly addressed, he was very affable and personable.Jean was always there to arrange our excursions (lovers' island, horseback riding, visit to other resort Captain Morgan where owner Didier Boulard was unfriendly). Food was excellent, plentiful and varied. We wish we could have stayed longer and we will surely return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Auguste_Duplan
abaka, Manager at Abaka Bay Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
We like to treat our guests like royalty and we are happy you appreciated the special attention, the food and the place. Do come again.......
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Best place to relax and have an amazing time with family and friends. Every one makes you feel at home and wonderful and delicious food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Every employees always have a smile on their face and ready to help you.
I recommend this resort to everyone.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
abaka, Manager at Abaka Bay Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for recommending Abaka Bay to everyone. We are happy you were so satisfied with every aspect of the hotel from the beauty of the place to the friendliness of the staff.
New york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and we chose ABAKA Bay. That was one of our best vacation. The sea and the beach was awesome. The Haitian food was delucious and the staff was competent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
abaka, Manager at Abaka Bay Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Happy to know you had a good experience for your wedding anniversary. Abaka is surely for lovers and we thank you for your kind words. Many more years of happiness to you two!
Danvers, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I spent 3 nights at Abaka Bay and I wish I could have stayed longer.

Owned and run by Haitians, Abaka Bay offers an intimate experience that will be difficult to surpass.

The staff is attentive, courteous, smiling; it goes the extra mile to please the customers. The owners are accessible, present....

I love not having a TV in the rooms, I relished the feeling of being connected to the world but at the same time being one with the sea.

The beach is clean, the water to die for, the food...oh my god! The visit to the village brought me back to my younger years.

I left renewed and hopeful....I hope to go back to celebrate my 50th birthday in 2016 and bring many friends.

My other dream would be to spend a month there, just writing.

Thanks to everybody there....every one of you!

Room Tip: I like being close to the beach
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrinec
abaka, Manager at Abaka Bay Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
We are so glad you were able to be nostalgic and have such a wonderful time. This is your home so come and stay as long as you like....Thank you for such a positive review!
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

My family & I were planning a trip to Haiti and we were a little skeptical as far as where we should stay. Then we selected Abaka Bay, boy! did we make the right choice.
We stayed at Abaka Bay Resort, ile a vache Haiti. It was the best experience ever. We stayed there for 5 days. The treatment that we received from day one until our last days exceeded our expectations. From the staff to the local people, they made us feel special and took good care of us. I would recommend Abaka bay to anyone, specially for its secure remote location, services, cleanness, amenities, positive attitude, good food, customers oriented. Words cannot express our satisfaction, we will definitely return there. I LOVE IT!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank le_Capois
abaka, Manager at Abaka Bay Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We at Abaka Bay can not thank you enough for such a wonderful review! Wow, we are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable stay. We wish for all your trips to this piece of paradise to be equally hailed. We await your next stay with us....thank you again!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just returned from my first visit at Abaka Bay resort. Service was excellent. The staff goes above and beyond making sure that our group was always satisfied. The rooms were clean and cool. The beach, the sea, the sand, the food....beyond words. I hope to return soon.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Josseline P
abaka, Manager at Abaka Bay Resort, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you so much for your kind remarks concerning every aspect of the hotel. We are happy that you had such an enjoyable time and look forward to having you come back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ile-a-Vache
Port Morgan
#2 of 2 in Carries
Hotel Cyvadier
Hotel Cyvadier
#1 of 5 in Jacmel

Been to Abaka Bay Resort? Share your experiences!