“Incredibly Slow Service and Mediocre Food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Swan

The Swan
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Bures
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Incredibly Slow Service and Mediocre Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

The first sign that we had chosen the wrong place to eat was that out of the half dozen or so beers and ciders they had pumps for only 2 were working. Deciding to persevere we ordered some food anyway.

Over half an hour later our first course arrived. We had ordered a bowl of soup.

Another half an hour later the main course arrived. It wasn't as if they were busy either. We were one of only 3 tables with people eating.

When the food did arrive it was OK but that is about all you can say for it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Had lunch here today with a girlfriend for a catch up. We wanted to go for the two mains for £12 option but, being a vegetarian there was no veggie choice on the deal. I asked if I could migrate to the veggie option on the specials instead but have it within the same offer ....... this was not a problem at all. I went for the Risotto and rocket salad (delicious) and my friend went for ham, egg & chips (huge portion - I'd manage to get 3-4 days worth of packed lunch sandwiches out of the amount of ham that came!!) and all for £6 each!!

On the down side they had no Parmesan cheese but they did give me extra salad and to try and create the flavour, they brought some shavings of mature cheddar - not quite the same but at least they tried and, to be honest, the Risotto was that good it really was not the poorer for it.

For the most part we were the only ones in which is a great shame - the real log fire was on, the service was great, the food really tasty & enjoyable and the prices more than reasonable. So if you're passing and wonder ..... "Shall we?....." just give it a go and enjoy the pleasant surprise.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Jo_Jo1000_66
“Sunday isn't Sunday without a roast lunch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

A couple of months ago I purchased a discounted meal voucher for 4 people from an internet voucher company. Had I read the reviews of The Swan prior to the purchase I probably wouldn't have bothered. However, last weekend found us trundling along the back roads of Essex with himself and our two friends. Although having lived in the county for 21 years, I don't think I have visited an area so beautiful. The village if Bures is very picturesque. The Swan is very quaint and not at all pretentious. Sometimes a simple meal with convivial company is all one requires to know all is well with the world. And that's what we got. Our 4 different roasts were polished off. Each served with a mahusive Yorkshire pudding.
The dining room did have chilly spots in it. Himself was cold but the rest of us were fairly warm.
We weren't disappointed with the ambience food or serving staff who I must say made us feel very welcome. Look forward to returning.

1 Thank Carida
United Kingdom
“Nice Sunday lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013 via mobile

Like many others here we visited on a Groupon voucher and had a very nice Sunday lunch with good service. I would say it was excellent value the menus was a typical Sunday lunch one with a variety of roasts but all good and tasty. My only complaint is as others have pointed out the heating is terrible, one small electric radiator it really does need sorting out fortunately we had warm clothes on as it was a cold day but not exceptionally so. Get the heating sorted and its 5 start.

Suffolk. UK
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

Went here on a Groupon deal and was very impressed. We've been before but not under this management. The food was delicious and the service could not have been friendlier. We took our 3 year old who was made very welcome and given crayons and pictures to colour in. Would highly recommend this. Bures is a lovely village on the river and this is a great place to eat.

• Visited January 2013