Snejanka Hotel
US$68
  • Pool
US$30
US$29
Hotel Iva & Elena(Pamporovo)(Great Value!)
US$34
  • Pool
Hotel Orlovetz(Pamporovo)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewslive music every nightlovely poolbooked through crystal skiski schoolalways on timeski tripgreat holidaysaladjacuzzi and saunahour transferhotel roompintsellersbulgariasnowguidanceruns
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

We came along with 4 other families, and having stayed before in other hotels in Pamporovo we kind of knew what to expect. Since the hotel is 3 star rated we had little doubts but all of that was cleared since the day we arrived. The apartments are very spaceous, clean and warm. Lots of room for all the kids toys. The beds are a little stiff and the pillows are small, and that is the only way you can notice the lover star rating of this hotel. Other than that food is good. I say this because all bulgarian hotels serve a lot of local spicy food which we are not a customed to. Probably its the high number of British guests that makes this hotel serve very neutral continental style food which the kids loved too. Good variety also. The common space/lounge area is the second best thing since our company along with the children was big, there was a lot of room and privacy to rest after dinner. Pool was ok, the water was slightly colder than it should, and the only remark here is that the sauna and jakuzi are not free but charged additionally where in the other hotels we stayed is free. Wifi is not available in all rooms and the connectivity is problematic even in the lobby.
I would stay here again and would recommend to friends.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just got back from a week here, and I'd definitely recommend the place if you're looking for somewhere comfortable and clean but affordable during your ski trip

The rooms are pretty basic but tidy and the maid cleaned up and dropped off new towels and toilet roll every day. The bathroom is blisteringly hot, so you won't want to hang around in there too long, although it's a great place to leave your clothes to dry. The insulation/sound-proofing could be better - you'll the odd person storming through the corridor but it's not really a problem, a couple of all-inclusive hotels are nearby so Snezhanka itself is fairly quiet

I didn't try out the pool (too tired from skiing all-day every day) but it looked clean and a good size. There are a few pool tables and arcades, a Bureau De Change and a handy shop near the reception. The lobby bar is also nice and cosy, and offers great value drinks

We stayed half-board - the breakfast and dinner buffets are a bit hit-or-miss. Breakfast is quite a good spread, made up of sort-of full-English (swapping sausage for frankfurters), cereals, fruit, cold meats, cheeses and a couple of pastries/cakes. The dinner was different every day, but the quality varied quite a lot - my advice would be to take a small amount of a few things rather than dive in like I did. (One evening plating up what I thought was schnitzel and omelette, but turned out to be over-cooked fish, and a weird blubbery fish cake). Staff are friendly and helpful throughout the hotel

If the food in the hotel isn't your thing however, there is plenty of choice nearby and the hotel is well situated. There is a good selection of restaurants within a 5 minute walk, ranging from Italian to traditional Bulgarian to upmarket grill. Most are good value, and there are also good bars nearby

If like me though the luxuries of the hotel on a skiing holiday aren't particularly important, and you just want somewhere clean and comfortable to rest between skiing, I'd definitely recommend the Snezhanka

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We have just got bk Frm a week at snezhanka had a very enjoyable week skiing but don't think I would return to the snezhanka it's very old needs updated lift never works and we were on the 4th floor not gd to walk up 4 flights of stairs after a day skiing. The room was small only a shower no bath which is needed to have a soak after being on the slopes all day, 2 single beds pushed together lost a few bits n bobs & they had fell in between t beds, water was always hot and room always very warm not much space to hang ur ski wear to dry without getting your other coats wet, food is terrible never had one nice meal everything is so cold salad is dry and bland breakfast was ok but we did eat out at the Gloria
mar which is very reasonable we had a btl rose a btl water lamb spicy soup each a garlic bread 2 steak & veg & desert came 2 £50 best in town lovely. And as 4 pool in hotel was always cold we used t sauna a few times which was nice after a day on the slopes staff were not very friendly the girl In the lobby bar was lovely and always helpful the desk staff were always miserable and unfriendly we got a safety deposit box which was 25 lev drinks were very cheap the hotel is very noisy people have no respect for other people in the hotel coming in at 4 in the morning screaming at t tops of their voices to the point I had it get up out of bed & tell them to shut t hell up. Lots of kids running around 1 gd thing was the views we had Frm our room every morning also asks 4 a room at t bk of hotel as daks bar is joined onto hotel & can be very noisy as they don't close till early hrs of t morning. We went with Balkan air paid £1035 4 2 people hb ski package so was worth wat we paid for. We done all t trips with bh air we did t bar crawl don't waste your money there's only 5-6 bars u will c them out anyways that's on a monday nite we did skidoo on t snow mobile we got stuck in t mini bus going up t mountain b once we got there great fun, we did t crazy bowling which was a great nite done t Bulgarian nite which was a gd nite too on fri nite is presentation nite where your ski school Instructer presents u with certificates great nite all in all had a fab hol met sum great people wud I go bk to pamporvo yes wud I go bk with Balkan yes wud I go bk to t snezhanka hotel no . We were in hotel not apartments.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Reading some reviews I have to laugh how we all have such different experiences at the exact same places lol!

After reading the reviews I was wondering what the hell I had got myself into lol! When i got there I was pleasantly suprised! 3 of us booked ... all girls, we got 2 single beds in a raised room and a sofa bed in a seperate room a nice large bathroom with a bath and shower, rooms were cleaned daily and frankly I have no complaint about them whatsover, yes the decor is a little dark but your in bulgaria what do you expect :-/ different cultures and all that! Rooms were hot if you turned your radiator up, and half the time even with the snow outside i got hot enough to open the window :-)

Food ... I was well impressed lol yes ok it was a little cooler than our stupidly piping hot food, but it was warm i could eat it straight off my plate without blowing on my fork lol! nice variety every day lots of vegetables potatoes ect, they didnt just fill you with chips infact i dont remember there being chips there which frankly i think is a good thing when your snowboarding all day you need good harty food! Always a variety of salad, and cakes for your pudding ;-) breakfast was also very good you could eat a full english every day or have cereal, toast, pancakes ... and fruit!

The pool was wicked i loved it nothing better than a dip in there after a long day on the slope, however it may have been a little nicer if it was a bit warmer lol! my mates thought it was a bit cold but that just made me swim faster lol!

The bar was cool too, double vodka 2levs lol bonus :-) everything was cheap cheap cheap! nice chill out area to sit in and downstairs they have a pub/bar where they do the ski school presentations ... nice to stroll bk to bed lol!

As the resort it's self if your a begginer its fab, if your an inermiedidate just looking for a cheap holiday then its also pretty great, if your advanced looking for black runs then it probally isnt foryou! The snowboard instructors were really good and friendly!

All in all I had a great holiday, flight ... half board hotel ... lift pass .. snowboard lessons and equipment hire all under £500, how can you complain really!!! (this is coming from someone that had been to canada the year before and spent 500 just on lift passes :-/)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Sarah A
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I'm sorry to say that i was very disappointed with the rooms in this hotel. Having arrived after a 4 hour coach trip (half an hour or more of this was due to a forced rest stop at Macdonalds, not something you want to do on holday at nearly midnight!) we were shown the worst rooms I have ever stayed in. The state of the corridor had me worried but did not prepare me for the standard of the rooms. We had booked 2 extra size rooms with 3 beds each both with balconies but were given rooms where you could barely walk around the 2 twin beds and there was certainly no room for the 3rd bed. The bathroom was the biggest joke I have ever seen in an hotel. It was barely 1 metre square with no shower tray (I am told this is 'standard' in Bulgaria) which meant that all towels/toiletries etc would get soaked. There was also no hot water! As it was already past 2am when we arrived allong with our 2 tired teenage children we waited until the next day to complain.

The Balkan holidays rep was wonderfully helpful. Having shown him the printout of the web page I booked from, he was most confused at having to admit the hotel didn't physicaly own any rooms matching the size of the ones I booked (Balkan holidays still selling the options I paid for so beware if you book and check you are going to get what you have chosen) and that all the rooms were the same as the ones we had been allocated, although he might be able to find slightly larger if I gave up the balcony I had paid the supplement for. On pointing out that I had not only paid a supplement for the balconies but also paid a supplement for larger rooms he spent some considerable time on the phone with his boss and eventually showed us to 2 appartment/suites on the top floor. We then discovered we were expected to choose ONE of these for the 4 of us (2 twin beds upstairs and and extremely small double sofa bed downstairs for our teenagers - 1 boy 1 girl - to share). I flatly refused to force my children to share a bed at their age and the rep/hotel eventually gave in and allocated us both of the appartments. I hesitate to use the word appartments however as there was nothing in them other than a a fridge & tv, no kettle/microwave etc, which meant going down 5 floors to the bar to get a tea/coffee.They did have a better size bathroom with a bath however, which was very welcome after being on the slopes all day. The shower over the bath was another mater though as even I could not stand under it (I'm 5'2) so my husband and kids were both banging their head on the sloping ceiling (see pic).

The food was not as bad as some reviews on here have said but was definitely the worst hotel food I have had. The water was not hot enought to make coffee let alone tea, the 'juice' at breakfast and indeed dinner, was powdered and the rest of the food was simply enough to ensure you did not go hungry. I am not a very picky eater but even I would not have put up with it for more than a week.

There is a pool in the hotel but the water is very cold so we only tried it once. The gym had 3 pieces of equipment, all of which were broken.

The downstairs bar was pleasant when the fire was lit but was permanantly crowded every night with people glued to their laptops as it was the only place with internet so it was hard to get a seat.

The busses in the morning took approximately 10 minutes to transport you to the slopes and there was always a crowd and a fight to get on them. The return trip was not good as this hotel ran considerably fewer busses than the other hotels which meant you were often left waiting whilst several of the other busses had returned twice already. However, although in the morning the hotels were fussy about you showing your transport card (issued on arrival - do not lose it or you cannot use the bus!) they were less fussy on the way home so you could often get on the Hotel Perelik bus and walk the last 50m to the hotel. You could also get off at the shop in town if you wished.

We booked this as a quick budget snowboarding trip for half term so was not expecting a lot but even being well aware you get what you pay for, the room standard was well below expectations. Had we been given the 2 appartment/suites for the price we paid (and these were very basic) then I might have said differently but as there appeared to be only 4 appartments in the actual hotel (the rest of the bulding is owned by Snow White/Schneshanka appartments and is different from the hotel ) I am not sure how possible this is. Other people we spoke to said they had booked with Snow White and their appartments had kettle/microwave etc and were very nice.

The resort itself is good. The bars on the slopes are cheap and friendly and the food is good. (Better than in the hotel). Alex's pub at the ski station was excellent value with a wood stove to warm you up and 3 friendly Labrador dogs to say hi to. The Eagle at the very top had a huge open log fire and after stuffing your face they brought you a shot to send you on your way and keep out the cold.

I have no idea what the bars/clubs in the resort were like as we were there for the snowboarding and after being out all day, could not be bothered to go out at night, although we did do the Folklore evening which was not bad.

So, not the best accommodation but we were told by other people that their hotels were also in a 1970s timewarp too so not sure if there was much better to be had for the price. If we could book the 'apartments' for the same price we would've considered going back were it not for the 4 hour bus trip between the resort and the airport. Obviously arriving after 2am and then having to be up and had breakfast and on the snow bus at around 9am was rather tiring and not a great start to the holiday, nor was the 4am departure to return to the airport. It did not help that our flights had been re-routed via Newcastle as their plane was not full so Balkan decided to combine the flights after I booked.

If you do not mind the long coach trip and are not fussy about accommodation however, Pamporovo is a good place for a week snowboarding. The people in the bars on the slopes are friendly and it's not expensive. The lift passes are also quite a bit cheaper than other resorts.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family