“Rude restaurant staff”

Courtyard Paris La Defense West - Colombes
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Colombes
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Restaurant staff is very unhelpful, inefficient and rude. A terrible experience. Staff gave us menu after 40 minutes. It was almost an hour by the time first order was taken. It got even worse later when it came to taking desert order. All in all it was an spoil of an evening.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank prakhar j
Koen V, Manager at Courtyard Paris La Defense West - Colombes, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Mr Prakhar J,

Thank you for contacting us concerning your recent experience in the Courtyard By Marriott Paris West Colombes Hotel.

I am contacting you concerning the length of time and the service that you experienced in our restaurant. After having read your explanation and spoken to my restaurant staff it is clear that there are certain staffing issues which need to be resolved. For this experience that you and your colleagues went through, I wish to apologize accordingly. This type of reaction time is certainly not what we aim to provide our guests, especially Marriott Rewards Members such as you and your colleagues. I have observed that my Night Manager spoke to you and was able to find a correct form of resolution for your experience and hope that you are still in agreement with this resolution.

I wish to assure you again that we are currently establishing an action plan with our Restaurant Manager to resolve our staffing issues, and of course to provide the necessary tools for our staff to create a positive guest experience. Unfortunately, this was not the case for your experience, and I hope that this will not deter you from returning to our property and our restaurant upon the next time that you travel to Paris.

I have noticed that the picture that you posted of our hotel bathroom is; however, incorrect. As you can observe when viewing the pictures of our hotel on Tripadvisor, the bathrooms are obviously different.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

When you stay in a Courtyard Hotel it is like staying in a Premier Inn - you expect well appointed , clean , smart but basic and this hotel delivers all of that and nice staff.

You do not expect a gym or room service or a Resteraunt and again the hotel delivers on expectation

I have stayed at Courtyard hotels across USA and never been disappointed

However for this basic set up you expect to pay accordingly and and €250 / night this was extortionate - no nice and basic and clean but not cheap!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mr Richard G,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Courtyard By Marriott Paris Colombes.

It is with pleasure that I received your feedback concerning your stay at our property. I certainly wish to thank you for your comments about the expectations to be had in our Courtyard, and Courtyards across the world. We aim to provide consistent, high quality and personalized service to our guests, and I am truly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry if you were unhappy concerning the rate that you were provided. I am not certain at which period you stayed with us; however, maybe I can provide some further explanations. Our property is situated in the developing business district of Paris next to the La Défense area and is thus, as I am certain you understand, a thriving hotel for corporate clients. This means that the rates are frequently high during the week, and especially so during extremely high occupancy periods such as the PCR Cardiology conference that occurred 3 weeks ago in Paris and the Eurosatory conference that is occurring next week. It is for this reason that we aim to provide excellent service and amenities in our property, such as the Fitness Center, Restaurant Oleo Pazzo and Room Service.

I hope that this explanation is satisfactory to you and look forward to meeting you personally upon the next occasion that you stay with us so we can discuss this further if you wish.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Upon arrival I thought this was a strange location for a business hotel but then realized it's actually pretty convenient. Many restaurants are just one tram stop away and La Defense, Grande Arch, 4Temps mall is just 4 stops away. Hotel restaurant was better than average, I just wish coffee would have been available all day instead of just until 10am. Hotel staff was helpful, room clean with typical Courtyard amenities.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The location of this hotel is very handy. Especially getting around by Metro or bus.
It is close to Napoleon's Tomb and within walking distance of the Arche de Triomphe.
The rate for this hotel is quite reasonable compared to the hotels along the Champs Elysee.
Exploring La Defense area is also very interesting. The reception is like every Marriott hotel professional and personal. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Hotel location is off the main roads, so it is very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bobbyg7
Reviewed 28 May 2014

LOCATION: This is easy to get to from CDG airport. It takes around 1.5 hours, you change at Chatelet Les Halles for La Defence & then it is 4 stops along on tram 2; getting off at Jacqueline Auriol. The hotel is on the left side of the road a little further up (you'll see red bricks on the side of the building). A 5-day metro ticket cost €59 each- we used this on the metro, RER, tram & bus.

AREA: There is a large supermarket in a mall (it looks closed from the side of the building) a bit further up from the hotel at a crossroads & on the right, we purchased some wine there & used the fridge in our room. There was a huge range of wine at the supermarket. There is a take-away pizza place two doors up from the hotel. There is a McDonalds across the road & up a little. We ate at a the Brasserie, which was one tram stop back in the direction of La Defence, it was OK, not great, they did a good selection of beers inc fruit beers. there were a few sushi places scattered around the area.
We really used the hotel as a base & went sight-seeing in Paris. There really isn't a great deal more around the hotel & it isn't the type of area I would explore as a woman out walking on my own, it is probably fine, but it is certainly a multi-cultural inner-city area full of high rises & people kicking about bored on street corners & in parks; you kind of felt like a mis-placed tourist & maybe you were being watched by inquisitive folks.

HOTEL: A friendly welcome, we were given a room at the rear on the 4th floor as requested (I read on here that the front suffered from tram noises). There was a sweaty smell in the halls, but not in the room. The aircon worked well.
The bathroom just had a big walk-in shower & separate WC, which worked well. We traveled light & used the free hotel toiletries, these were fine, although the soup left my hands a little dry (take hand cream). The sheets weren't changed in the three days we were there & I am not absolutely sure that they were totally clean to begin with, just the odd little marks.

There are two breakfasts on offer - the Express at €8.50 & the full at €19, I don't think the hot food in the full breakfast was worth paying more for & as such I recommend the Express. Or you can get the tram back to La Defence (on route to central Paris) & use the Mac Cafe or Paul where they have great macaroons & pastries. There is also a Spa-type supermarket at La Defence station.

Tip 1: For a great choice of places to eat & a good atmosphere, take line 12 to Abbesses - it's a bit like Clifton village in Bristol. Happy hour is between 19.00-21.00 in most places.
Tip 2: Take a free walking tour, we did & learned loads about Paris & it's history.
Tip 3: Avoid the hour-long queues for the Eiffel Tower by pre-booking your tickets online, but book well in advance, just like you would for the London Eye.
Tip 4: if you want to do a dinner cruise along the Saine, I think there is only Bateaux Parisiens - do it lunchtime as it half the price of an evening cruise, but you will not see the Tower illuminated. (Again, best to pre-book online before your trip). Same with Versailles, avoid an hour in the queue by pre-booking your tour before you go.

Room Tip: Request rear high floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sky35
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

A perfectly acceptable Courtyard hotel, room was clean, everything you expect and staff were friendly and attentive. Only 'average' because there isn't a 'good' rating and 'very good' is pushing it for what is a characterless business hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Koen V, Manager at Courtyard Paris La Defense West - Colombes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear SteveHH1974,

Thank you for your commentary concerning your previous stay at the Courtyard by Marriott La Défense West Colombes.

It is true that all Courtyard hotels cater mainly to the business traveler, and I certainly hope that you ended up enjoying your stay with us. It is our goal to be able to influence you into the decision to rate our hotel as very good; however it is unfortunate that we were unable have that happend on this occassion. I will certainly pass on your comments to our staff, as this will motivate them to continue providing the best of themselves for our guest's courtyard experience.

I hope that you will return to us so that we can provide you with the experience that you are looking for upon the next occassion.

In the meantime, if there is anything that I can provide you, please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just got back from a stay at this hotel, All the staff were delightful, polite and willing to go the extra mile to help. The room was a decent size, clean and comfortable, the breakfast had plenty of choice and was well prepared. We had dinner in the restaurant the first evening and it was delicious. The hotel is in the suburbs within La Defence, which meant a short ride on the tram to the metro and then a short ride into the centre of Paris. A day rover ticket on the transit system cost 10 euro, but we must have saved this by not paying Central Paris prices for our hotel bill! I wish I had asked the hotel to arrange my transfer from CDG Airport on arrival as they only charged me 65 Euro to get back to CDG whereas the taxi cost me 88 euro when we arrived! There is a gym facility at the hotel but we did not use it.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colombes
Aparthotel Adagio Access Colombes la Defense
Grand Hotel Francais
#101 of 1,804 in Paris
1 mi away
Ibis Budget Bezons Rives de Seine

Been to Courtyard Paris La Defense West - Colombes? Share your experiences!