“Easiest Skiing I have done with Kids” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido

Club Med Sahoro Hokkaido
Hong Kong, China
“Easiest Skiing I have done with Kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed at this property in the Spring of 2013 (March) with my wife and 2 children (11 and 9) and I have to say that logistically, this was by far the easiest skiing I have ever done. I have always preferred skin in - ski out and with small children that have never skied before, we wanted easy everything with nothing to think about. With Club Med you know exactly what you are going to get.

The Bad - The property is old, dated and worn. From what I understand, it is not a true Club Med property but is leased and the Club Med signs are all temporary.

It is not a cheap. Skiing holidays are expensive in general and a Club Med premium sends the price up a bit more.

The runs are not particularly challenging for more experienced skiers and most are generally short and the views, though nice, are not what you would get in Europe or North America. Low mountains and bare trees.

The food is not what I would normally classify as up to Normal Club Med Standards. It wasn't bad, but after having stayed at 4 different Club Meds throughout Asia, I would have to say that although plentiful, the quality is not what we were used to from them.

The Good - Has to be absolutely the best place to introduce skiing to young kids that have never done it before. True ski in ski out and the convenience is great.

The shows and are always top notch at the Club Med and a great way to finish off the day.

The snow is fantastic with good powder late into the season.

The staff, the Staff, The STAFF!

If you or your family have never skied before and you live in Asia, this is definitely a great place to get introduced and a guaranteed good time as long as you are not looking for 5 star or the best food. Book it and enjoy.

7 Thank Nimbus9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We really enjoyed this club med location! Great ski program with lessons for all! Kids club super helpful getting kids all dressed up to ski so that the adults could make it to their lessons on time! Evening activities for the whole family! Rooms quality is basic, but really we hardly spent any time in there's. We weed up and dressed for he day then really didn't return to the room till it was time to bed. Limited number of larger sized rooms, so we had two rooms for the family of four. Rooms didn't connect, that would have been nicer! Food was good, instructors great! Snow quality was excellent! Wide variety of hills and off piste runs for the whole family! We stayed in the winter before(end of few/march) a winter resort but can't review from that date....but wanted to highly recommend!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sfinsoul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hello all!

I have rarely been writing reviews and the first one was in 2012, also at a Club Med winter resort in Asia. As you all may or may not know, Club Med now has only two winter resorts in Asia which are Yabuli (in Harbin, Northern China) and Sahoro (in Hokkaido, Northern Japan). Boy, do these two resorts differ yet have such similarities - at least for me!

You see, Club Med is now "All inclusive, all inclusive, all yours" replacing the "Where Happiness Means The World" before that. And that is exactly what it is, although I have noticed that in order to chase the additional consumer dollar they have been trying to charge the extra if it warrants. Which is fair enough as after all, it is still a business and has to be run profitably. However, they need to be careful not to do so at the expense of their customers loyal or otherwise...

So, this review comes rather late since it has been two months since I returned. But what a TRIP! One never really know who will be at the winter villages since unlike the Summer vilIages, they only operate for 2 to 4 months a year. I had booked my trip to CM Sahoro in June 2013 as soon as the first call of booking opened as I was excited about the trip and really wanted to make sure I booked well in advance and got what I wanted in terms of dates, flights etc. No messing around here hehe...

Personally, I found CM Yabuli too cold although it was a beautiful resort but Japan aaaaah... Hokkaido especially is just a world apart from everywhere else really. This is my third time having a winter/snowboarding holiday in Japan. In 2010, it was Niseko (which was in Hokkaido as well) then in 2012 it was Hakuba (Nagano - which was the winter OIympic site in 1988) and then now in Sahoro. Even in Hakuba, one could not get powder snow like in Hokkaido. It was comparatively softer than other locations but nothing like the Hokkaido powder :)

It was through my visits in CM Bali towards the end of last year that I found out some of the (more) familiar G.O.s will go to CM Sahoro. But of course knowing that Ryan Leach (Chief du Village or CDV for short - i.e. General Manager of the resort at that time) was going to be in charge of CM Sahoro made the deal sweeter. Although I have visited a few Club Meds in Asia over the last few years, I had only just met Ryan in Yabuli in 2012. We striked up a good rapport and familiarity so I was definitely looking forward to see him and his team (P.S. he should have a good team in place that's why! Club Med office if you're reading this - please don't move him out of Asia! He is a gem in Asia with his laid-back and easy-going Californian style. I can see many GM.s feeling totally comfortable around him instead of fearing him.)

The resort did not disappoint although I hear it is getting old. It is relatively small but that made it rather quaint as well. My room was great and well equipped so no complaints. Thank goodness I did not have 3 single beds like in CM Kabira :p Upon arrival, I was met by the familiar faces I know like Lee (Restaurant Manager), Diego (Asst Manager, Mini Club - whom I met in CM Bintan in 2012) and of course Ryan himself. It was good to see that fella, still as smooth and handsome as ever. You can thank me another time, Ryan! And Lee is always a treat to meet with since she always had that welcoming smile and cute demeanor. In fact, I do not seem to recall Lee in a bad mood ever, even under tremendous duress! Kampatei, Lee-san! Although I cannot get used to seeing her clearing the tables at the restaurant though. Don't worry. Lee-san this is only temporary neh because it will lead to better things in the future. I can see that for you in the future already!

So, I settled in well and decided to get myself organised for tomorrow. First stop was to get the board and bindings sorted since I had bought my own boots, snow jacket & pants and most importantly own helmet. Lo and behold, I see Jaya there. Again, someone I met in CM Bintan in 2012. We had a few good parties back then. After that, it was like deja vu as I see more and more familiar faces - some expected and some unexpected like Debby (Boutique), Mari (Asst Manager, Bar - whom I also met in CM Bintan), Tisna (Asst Restaurant Manager whom I seem to meet everywhere!!!??! But such a dear dear friend) and Aki (Ski Instructor) whom I will have an interesting story to tell later on so watch this space!

Well, the snow surely did not disappoint. I fact, we had too much powder. I never thought I would find myself saying this - but yeah, TOO MUCH POWDER! Like huh???!!? That was on Day 3 but the wind was picking up too and on Day 3 it was so windy there were no Adult lessons as all the chair lifts and the gondola was closed. Yet, they sent the kids out in the windy conditions. That was just silly because the kids are small, light and vulnerable. They could have just flown off and gotten stuck in the trees!

Anyway, the adults just chillax and did nothing or just gathered around the Bar which was a very good idea. I had decided to join Marion (Reception Manager) and Narumi (Bar team) for the Ice Fishing excursion as it was their day off. We all turned up early only to find out that it was too windy and the excursion was cancelled as the wind was too strong and would blow off the tent we were supposed to be in to keep warm. But it was then too windy to go snow trekking or to ski/snowboard. So what to do??? I was getting antsy and a little frustrated since I woke up bright and early after a late night and did not want to waste the day ahead. So I asked around whether there will be alternative indoor activities to keep the G.M.s occupied.

And true enough, they came up with some last minute activities like Ping-Pong competition, squash competition and Yoga. The last being more my cup of tea than the former two. But the afternoon was simply chilling out - by the Bar no less!

I must say the snow was abundant. But the wind was also rather unwelcomed. Oh, have I mentioned the food yet??? I had G.O. friends who had been in CM Sahoro and they had told me I would enjoy the food there. And were they absolutely correct!!! (thanks, Mita and Oman!) Granted that the spread may not be as big as say CM Bintan or CM Bali but who needs a huge spread when the quality and type of food was simply great? There was always noodles at lunchtime and after a chilly morning on the slopes, there is nothing like thawing over a bowl of hot yummy noodles. This is a definite must-do!

Having said that, the breakfast menu could have a little more variety as for 6 mornings the items were the same. It was still good but they could have just varied some of the items... Dinner were usually a blast. To me, the specialty restaurant called Mina-mina which served nabe was a treat. It was a lot more private and even with a more limited spread (unless you choose to top up) it was a delight. And service was a lot more personalised. I was there enough times to truly appreciate it. Thank you, Ghazzo and Marion for that enjoyable dinner there 2 nights before I left! A very Special Thanks to Tisna and especially to dear Ghazzo - it was awesome to say the least!!! Marion and I stuffed our faces good. And it will be well remembered for a long time to come. Hope I get to see you two soon else "on reste en contact!"

Just the night before, I had a fantastic evening all thanks to Aki-chan whom I met in CM Bali where she was a Circus G.O. :) Now, I had taken part in a few Limbo contests but never won. I pride myself on being more flexible than the average person. But what I now realise is your partner is just as important. In the past, I had always chosen the incorrect partner who were too much heavier than I. Aki and I were like the tag team. Almost similar in height, stature and fitness level (hey, Aerialists unite!) although she is slightly heavier than me. We strategise a little and coupled with the keen desire to win, went on to clinch the championship. It was just mind-blowing! To think this is the first time I won and with a gal (my previous partners were all male!) made it all the more sweeter. Arigato gozaimashita ありがとうございました), Aki-chan!

Unfortunately, the snowboard instructors are always different so I cannot really comment much. One who stands out is Chloe. A petite blonde dynamo who is completely relaxed yet firm in her style of coaching that she pushes you without you actually feeling or even knowing it. She was my SB2 Instructor for only a day and then went on holiday but definitely left a deep impression. And Tim, who is always patient and very concise/clear in his instruction that everyone understands him.

One grouse is the snowboarding has too few levels. I am on an annual snow holiday to attempt to improve my snowboarding. I feel that Club Med focused too much on skiing. Sure CM Yabuli has 80% skiiers but in CM Sahoro there are more snowboarders so lumping too many people of dffierent levels just does not work well. I was stuck between SB2 and SB3. If I joined SB3 which has a group of rather advanced snowboarders I would lag behind. But in a group of SB2 which just got moved up from SB1 had made me bored most times. That happened on two occasions. So it was not enjoyable for me. And please, don't start mentioning private lessons. Remember "all inclusive"? C'om, you need to improve on/tweak that Club Med!

Luckily, I knew enough G.O.s and thanks to Tisna (Asst Restaurant Manager) who chaperoned me on my last afternoon I managed to do some freestyle snowboarding. It was great fun and to have friends or familiar faces around not only to guide but to hang out with, my stay was made all the more enjoyable. Yes, Agung (Events and Sports Manager) I have not forgotten you and it was great to see you so this is to you too muaaack!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Airborne07
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

This was the first Club Med experience for us and I was initially hesitant in making the reservation because the whole concept of being stucked in the resort and limited to the services and products it provide did not appeal to me. However, Club Med has surprised us beyond our expectations and we definitely will be back at Sahoro Club Med again.

Ski/ Snow Experience:
Needless to say, the snow quality any where in Hokkaido is going to be good compared to most ski resorts around the world. As a family, we have skied in various resorts in South Korea and Coronet Peak (NZ) over the past few years and Sahoro is the first time we have experience true ski-in ski-out. Couple this with the whole inclusive experience, it made the skiing experience extremely convenient. For example, at the end of the day when I return to the building immediately adjacent to the entrance are the ski storage room and jacket racks where I can leave all my gear then head straight to the bar to relax & replenish. In the morning after finishing breakfast, we can drop our kids off at the mini club and not have to worry about them till 5pm. The ski/ snowboard lessons has enhanced our skiing and snowboarding ability. The instructors were very good and made every effort for everyone to enjoy their skiing/ snowboarding experience. The mountain while not big has a variety of runs especially for the beginner to intermediate levels. For those after a challenge, the tree runs are great fun especially on a powder day. The advance ski/ snowboard lessons are more like a guide than lessons which was great for company as I do often get bored snowboarding on my own after a few runs.

Room Quality:
We stayed in the Deluxe Quad room. The room was clean and comfortable but not luxurious. Bathroom is small but was not a concerned as we showered in the Ofuro every day. The Ofuro was great relaxation after a day on the slopes, it has sauna, hot/ cold bath etc.

Activities/ Entertainment:
There is always plenty to do in the evening. The GO's put on a live show every night, and I applaud them for all the effort & hard work that they put through to keep us all entertained. Other activities also include ping pong, squash, badminton, night club, live music at the bar, movie for the kids, ski/ snowboard awards for the kids, etc. There never is a dull moment. Then there are ample of opportunities to socialise with other guests from all walks of life. Because of how "contained" the resort was, we felt it was safe to let our eldest son (9YO) wander around the resort with his new found friends. They were ordering mocktails from the bar, dining with their friends etc.

I am not sure if I would recommend the place for anyone without kids, however, for every one else with kids club med makes the trip relaxing for the adults and great fun for the kids!

4 Thank VHILW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

Spent the March school holidays at the resort. All 4 of us were first time skiiers and CM virgins. We didn't know what to expect....

Upon arrival at CM we were whisked to our rooms after a warm welcome by Ghazzo and his team.

The next few days were so thoroughly enjoyable that I asked myself why I took so long to come to CM! Minimal planning for the trip, kids in their own ski class the full day (they are 6 and 8) having a great time and making new friends, parents at our own ski lessons with ease of mind and having great fun!

Delicious food awaiting at bf, lunch and dinner, drinks at the bar after a full day of skiing, cute instructors/GOs...I could go on and on! Everything is so clean and spotless, which is why I love Japan...

The snow was great (powder). Fell several times but didn't break a thing fortunately haha. The ski equipment looked well maintained and clean, rental cost is ok (about S$1000 for 4 people for 5 full days - boots, skis, poles).

The bathrooms are tiny so we showered at the Ofuro daily. Onsen was invigorating after a full day of skiing. Temperature in the resort is v comfy, no need for thick clothing :)

The GOs are a talented and enthusiastic bunch, so full of energy. They managed to get the kids together and involved them in a great kids' show that was very entertaining. On another night the GOs put up a great show themselves. Many good dancers amongst the group! It would have been great if there was a disco thereafter.

Can't wait to be back!

Tips: Bring indoor shoes like Crocs if you are skiing. Don't forget your meds cos it may cost you your life savings cabbing to the clinic in town and back (if First Aid doesn't stock the meds).

Wifi was terrible but it was not a concern for me.

5 Thank liquid_room
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went first week of March 2014 with two other friends for the first time to Club Med Sahoro. Very enjoyable stay on the whole:

- Snowed everyday so slopes were nice and powdery, beginner slopes were clearly segregated from the more advanced ones, minimal queues for the ski lifts, English speaking ski/snowboarding instructors who were very patient (we got Greg and Kaitlin, if I remember correctly), good quality equipment and gear for rental (Rossignol), staff at the ski counter who had to fit us for our boots and snowboard were accommodating, very convenient that it was ski-in-ski-out. Great for beginner snowboarders like us.

- Service was great and GOs were enthusiastic and friendly without being intrusive. There was a minor hiccup with our booking attributable to our (non-CM) booking agent which the CM staff sorted out quickly; that was very much appreciated. Special thanks to Ghazzo and team for making us feel especially welcome! It added a lot to our experience.

- Food quality was decent and the selection was extensive, although you shouldn't expect anything too fancy. I think there was a different theme for dinner every night at the main restaurant. Highlights were the giant slab of chutoro/ootoro, raclette, Hokkaido camembert, signature CM white chocolate bread, Kirin dispenser and crepes station at the bar during tea time The other restaurant, Mina Mina, is definitely worth a try - reservations required and I would recommend paying extra for the shabu shabu options (best meal we had during the trip). Gift shop also had a decent selection of Japanese snacks (we might have cleaned out their stock of camembert-flavoured Pocky).

- Our room was clean and serviceable but looked old plus bathroom was tiny even by Japanese hotel standards. Not surprising for CM since the idea is be out and about instead of holing up in your room and to be fair, we were mostly too tired after a day on the slopes to care. Still, could use some renovations.

- Other observations: very nice that they have an ofuro on-site so you can soak your aching muscles; take note that location-wise, the resort is in the middle of nowhere so there are limited options for day trips if that's what you're into; wifi can be weak in certain areas; it's a family-friendly resort so expect a lot of children running around and occasionally being annoying.

Awesome experience overall.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

March 2014, 1 week. I have been traveling alone with my 4 children (10, 8, 6 and 2). It was the third time in Club Med Sahoro, and as the previous years, it was perfect!
Nice resort, amazing snow, very good food, well organized. Super friendly GO team and ski instructors. The Chef du village Ryan gives the tone at your arrival. He is always around, nice small talks, super night shows, great dynamic this year (actually even better than the last 2 years). Jerome from the front desk as well, always friendly.
I experienced with my little one, the petit club: such a professional, patient and friendly team. I can not remember all the names, but they were all great. They even gave me a beautiful picture of my 2 daughters together, nice souvenir! Thank you!
Super dynamic as well at the mini club, friendly and taking good care of the kiddos, helping at the ski departure. To make it perfect, I would say the mini club room (the one with the babyfoot/table tennis) needs maybe a makeup :)
No problem as well with the ski school. Young dynamic and professional team. To make it perfect, as it was peak season, a couple of extra ski instructors would have been welcome, to have less kids in each group. (especially the very cold days).
For the adult ski school, same, nothing to complain about. I had 3 differents instructors, Melissa, Anthony and James, all super friendly and good technique exrecises.
My only issue was that I was always late to the lessons as departure time was the same as the kids one...and alone with 4 I had to help to get ready ... :)
We are relocating to Europe next year, so not so sure yet if we will be able to join again...but who knows...!
It has been such a good time the last 3 years!

Room Tip: I recommend the Deluxe rooms for a better bathroom