“Great place to stay”
Review of Niseko Freedom Inn

Niseko Freedom Inn
Ranked #11 of 62 B&Bs / Inns in Kutchan-cho
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed at Freedom in December 2012 and could not be more pleased with our choice. Matt and all the staff Laura, Alex, Yooja and Adachi where always helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. Although Freedom Inn close to Hanazona ski area we were picked up and dropped off and in the evening at Hirafu for dinner. We will definitely stay again on our next ski holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AMGVVAS

Reviewed 5 January 2013

The Freedom Inn experience is beyond cozy given the hotel staff goes above and beyond to make you feel welcome. From the moment you arrive, they are working hard to make sure the guests are comfortable and will bend over backwards to make sure you are ready for the ski slopes. Was especially impressive the hotel's owner drove me around to the slopes and offered a discount ski lift pass and rental discount coupon. The owner also drove me to the train station when I left. Staff at the hotel is equally warm, welcoming, and competent.

Worth noting the Inn is a three minute drive from the Hanazono ski lift system so you have privileged access for the first runs of the morning--when the snow is freshest! It's only one of two hotels near Hanazono ski lift system, so you feel lucky to stay there.

You'll be glad you stayed here. Book today before it fills up!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Brandon P
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed here in January 2011 and at first we were a little concerned about how far the Freedom Inn was from Hirafu but we need not worry! Matt and his friendly team take care of everything - they picked us up from the train station, dropped us to the bottom of the slopes in the morning and picked us up in the afternoon, and in the evening would drive us into Hirafu for dinners and pick us up at an agreed time. This service is exceptional and in the end, we preferred staying out of town where it was quiet and views were unobscured by other buildings.

The accommodation was high quality - the rooms are spacious, which is necessary when spending time at the snow, with large comfortable beds and plenty of cupboards. There is a laundry downstairs and room to store and dry ski gear (although you can leave hire gear at Hanazono 308 for warm and dry boots the next day), as well as a wonderful fire place area with books and games. The breakfasts are exactly what you need for a day on the slopes - cereals, toast, tea/coffee and juice with a hot breakfast of eggs, bacon and sausages.

The Freedom Inn is located in Hanazono and a five-minute ski or two minute drive to Hanazono 308. You'll have the slopes to yourself for the first hour and it is only two chair lifts to connect with the Hirafu slopes (and the perfect Japanese powder).

We cannot recommend Freedom Inn and Matt enough for a fantastic, stress-free snow holiday. We hope to make it back sooner rather than later!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ladyl81
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We travelled to Niseko as a family of 15 consisted of 12 adults and 3 young children. We were really impressed by the hospitality as given by Freedom Inn. The cosy fireplace in the hall, the warm and cosy dinning hall where we had our meals, the clean and comfortable rooms and importantly the helpful and warm staff made our trip a truely memorable one. The staff in Freedom Inn made every effort in accommodating our needs and helping us throughout our stay either in arranging our meals, our ski activities, our side tour in Niseko and even drove my mother to hospital as she fractured her arm after a fall. Special thanks to management and staff in Freedom Inn, esp Matt, as we had a great and wonderful time in Freedom Inn. This hotel is highly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean. The unique experience will be the room with 8 tatami as my kids love it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Dedi
Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed at Freedom Inn late December 2011. As a solo traveller I had concerns that the place might be a little isolated but as other reviewers have said - this isn't an issue. The staff drive you everywhere (and give excellent recommendations for restaurants in Kutchan - a better and more authentic place to eat than Hirafu). The staff are what really makes this place and I cannot thank them enough - Matt, Jerod and all the staff were exceptional. An added advantage is the closeness to Hazano 308 (where you will be driven every morning) which is quieter than the main Hirafu lift area, particularly for the first couple of hours of the day.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank alpenlupe
Reviewed 10 January 2012

The staff where great ,location great a little difficult to find our way back to hotel but overall great stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I had a splendid week at The Freedom Inn and can't speak highly enough about the hospitality of the management and staff.

The accommodation is clean and comfortable. The daily breakfast is more than adequate. But what really makes the place special is the management and staff. They can't do enough for you and I left feeling like I had made new friends with them.

There's nothing you can't ask them to do. On one occasion I asked the manager - Matt - to go to my room, retrieve some items of ski clothing which needed to be returned to Tokyo; and send them for me by express post. I asked for his help because I was out on the mountain and didn't want to interrupt my day. Matt was only too happy to help and the items were sent off on the same day. No problem. That's what we're here for said Matt.

Another member of the mangagement - Jay (a former snowboard instructor) - was also super helpful. He helped me to set up my snowboard; gave me some snowboarding lessons; rode with me for a couple of hours; showed me the best 'local tracks' through the trees; told me where to go for back-country; let me borrow his snow-board jacket and when I went to the back-country he let me borrow his safety kit including beacon, probe, shovel and back-pack. I can't thank him enough.

Matt and Jay directed me to some great restaurants in nearby Kutchan (Kutchan offers far more authentic Japanese fare at lower prices than touristy Hirafu) and the hotel shuttle bus was always on time to pick me up. The shuttle bus is free and will take you and pick you up from anywhere in Kutchan or Hirafu for free between 5pm and 10pm.

The hotel itself also breeds a friendly atmosphere among guests and I found myself getting to know quite a few fellow guests.

This is simply a great place to stay. You can't fail to like it. And you'll love the people that work there.

Room Tip: It's in such a quiet location you can't fail to sleep well. I had a room on the second floo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo