“Horse Trek up the Rees”

High Country Horses
Ranked #7 of 18 things to do in Glenorchy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: High Country Horses operates from a farm 15 mins from Glenorchy at the top of Lake Wakatipu - Mid Rivers Farm. We are surround by the Humbolt and Richardson ranges of Mountains and are nested at the base of Mount Alfred. The only company tht can take you to actual locations from The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and many other films. Offering local knowledge and exclusive rights to over 120,000 acres of Back-Country. Over 80 horses of all breeds and the best trails in the Country!! We can offer 1.5 hour rides through to 5 days/4nights. Activities for all to enjoy.
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I would recommend this horse trek. We had a beautiful morning so the scenery was fabulous and the many river crossings were especially special.
My horse was very obedient and did nothing to scare me or make me fearful. as I am not really used to horses and it was quite a big horse. I appreciated the information the guides gave us about horses, the history of the place and the sites that were used in the filming of the Lord of the Rings. Well worth it on a beautiful sunny day - it could have been cold for people who didn't dress for winter - but we were fine. with woolen socks, gloves, hats , singlets and wind proof jackets.

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"day trek"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We did Paradise on the Rees in absolutely beautiful day. (It has been snowing over the mountains previous night so we get to do ride in even more spectacular surroundings.) We had very small group of four plus a guide, one experienced rider and three of us were beginners who had done riding only 3 -4 times. We were all well - matched with horses suitable for our experience also staff explained about our horses very well so I was quite attached to my horse ‘ little redhead’… Our guide Stacy was very informative with local knowledge, also very friendly and helpful. She was making sure that every one was having great time. This was actually my 2nd time riding with High Country Horses and I would love to go back there again and again if I can! After the ride we could have time to hang out farm animals which was fun and we can see they really look after their animals in such a great environment. We could not ask any better day, thank you so much for the breathtaking experience. I would definitely recommend High Country Horses to anyone with any level of riding experience.

High-Country-Horses, Owner at High Country Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your comments. And we love it when we have clients who return again and again. One suggestion, next time PLEASE call us and mention that you have ridden with us before and the date you rode. We would love to offer all our returning clients a discount for their next ride. LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU AGAIN.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

It was one of the rare and most memorable of experiences my husband and I had. I was riding this beautiful and strong black horse called Fred and my husband was on a chocolatey brown horse called Warren. The staff was very warm and friendly. Chris who was our tour guide took us through the forest, across streams and rivers and close to the mountains. There was very little said about the movie Lord of the Rings or Hobbit, but we couldnt complain, the views and the ride will transport you somewhere else.

Worth every penny we paid for it and more. Definitely recommend it!

High-Country-Horses, Owner at High Country Horses, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you for your review. We are so glad that we were one of your highlights. One the weakest point of LOR and Hobbit locations and information, we have some great news!!
High Country Horses are taking on the lease at PARADISE this time next year. We will be able to take to many many sites from the trilogy, showing you up and personal the areas that were used in the making of the movies. We can't wait and I guess you will have to come back again!! Looking forward to seeing you both.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This horse ride was one of the best I have ever been on. I have ridden a bit and the person I was with was very experienced having previously owned her own horse. We were well matched to fantastic animals who had spirit (not just animals who trudged along the path).

The views were fantastic and the tour guide was clearly passionate about the area. We booked through Bookme.co.nz and ended up being the only 2 people on the tour.

Highly, Highly recommended for anyone that loves horse riding and fantastic scenic 360 degree views.