“BLISSFUL PERFECTION IN AN UNFORGETTABLE LOCATION”
Review of Blanket Bay

Blanket Bay
Los Angeles, California
“BLISSFUL PERFECTION IN AN UNFORGETTABLE LOCATION”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We ended our trip to new Zealand with a 2 night stay at this hotel. What a way to end a marvelous trip. Judy from guest services was EXTRAORDINARY, I would go back just to spend time with her! Ana and the rest of the staff was INCREDIBLE.The food DELICIOUS. the views from our room like walking into a gorgeous postcard. Swimming in the pool and using the jacuzzi surrounded by the stunning scenery was heaven. Expensive but you only live once and this is a once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cailebotte
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for your kind words; Judy and Ana will be particularly thrilled to get a mention on Trip Advisor and I will certainly let the kitchen brigade know how much you enjoyed the food. I am delighted you ended your visit to New Zealand with such a positive Blanket Bay experience. Come back soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and daughter stayed three nights here just before Christmas.
we had adjoining rooms the Mt.Earnslaw and the Rees for our daughter.
have to say we have never stayed in a finer room than the Earnslaw suite the views of the lake and the mountains just glorious.
the restaurants , the game room and spa were gorgeous.
The resort had an on call Masseuse who was amazing my wife and daughter had two treatments.
It is 45 minutes outside of Queenstown so a bit remote but the staff goes out of there way to bring the world to you a helicopter ride from the lawn a jet boat from the onsite dock.
the wait staff especially Rebecca and Office staff Wendy went out of their way as everyone else did. So happy Donna Thomas from NZ Travel recommended this piece of paradise to us.

Room Tip: Mt Earnslaw suite has the southern exposure there were a few suites out of the main lodge which we...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bigjac15
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Engaging with Donna at NZ Travel was a great call. She really does have an extensive knowledge of the country from experience gleaned over many years personally visiting the operators and subsequent planning of itineraries. We are so pleased you enjoyed the Blanket Bay experience. I have passed on your comments to all of my team particularly our therapist Yumi who will be thrilled to get a mention, as you say, she really has gifted hands.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it means a lot to us to know we delivered.
Charlottesville
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Our family stayed in some special places in New Zealand - Hapuku Lodge in Kaikoura, Fiordland Lodge in Te Anau among others - but all five of us would agree that Blanket Bay was hands down the best. Upon arrival and a tour of the facilities, the first thing we did was decide to book an extra night (we had only booked two, but decided we needed at least three). Blanket Bay Lodge was recommended to us by my husband's aunt and uncle, and also his cousin who stayed there for her honeymoon - gift by her parents. They stayed many years ago but still raved about it and their fond memories. We will now join them.
The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful wihtout being the least bit obtrusive. The lodge, rooms and grounds are gorgeous and the food they prepare is simply wonderful.
One day, my husband, sons and I were watching a U.S. college basketball game online in their game room. My boys got really hungry but couldn't part from the game, so I picked up the house phone and asked if they could bring some sandwiches and a cheese plate to the game room. 10 - 15 minutes later, Ana (one of the main servers in the restaurant at night) brought in a big tray and set it all up for us. So nice.
We enjoyed the jacuzzi that had French doors you could open up to the lake and mountain view. Our boys had fun in the lovely pool which is secluded from view. My husband and I took the lodge kayaks out for a spin and we also enjoyed the walks staked out around the property. But, if I wasn't enjoying their delicious food, my favorite thing was sitting in our suite next to the cozy fire and just looking out at the beautiful view.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SeeTheWorld109
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Blanket Bay. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry I missed meeting you but I know you were in good hands under the care of my team.
There are so many things to do in the area but it is wonderful to hear how much pleasure you got just relaxing, experiencing the lodge facilities, your accommodation and the stunning scenery we are all so lucky to enjoy. Thank you to your husband’s aunt and uncle for being Blanket Bay ambassadors. Perhaps a family reunion might be the calling for you to come back!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was our first trip to New Zealand! We chose Queenstown as our first stop and were amazed at the beautiful scenery! When we checked into Blanket Bay around 8:30 pm we were met by the most wonderful and friendly staff! After a very long day we walked down the hall to our room...when the door opened I thought I had died and gone to heaven!! Absolutely breathtaking! Fire going in the fireplace, lights dimmed, bed turned down! We felt like royalty! We were very fortunate to have been upgraded to an end room which turned out to be a suite! I immediately wasn't so tired anymore! The staff knew that we would be a little late but had prepared our dinner and it was waiting for us! Our only disappointment was that we stayed just 2 nights! Next time it will definitely be a longer stay so we can really enjoy all it has to offer. Thank you to Philip and his amazing staff and to Pauline and Tom for making this dream come true for us and so many others!

Room Tip: Definitely the lodge suite. Great views of Lake Wakatipu and surrounding mountains!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jill J
Thank you for your kind review. You are right, we are all blessed Tom and Pauline have made such a significant contribution to this area and New Zealand by creating Blanket Bay Lodge. Amazingly the dream started way back in 1972. I’m so pleased we started your holiday on a high, thank you for choosing to stay at the lodge. I do hope this will be the first of many visits to come.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights in a Lodge Suite. We have stayed at many SLH properties around the world, but this one surpassed our expectations. We will definitely return.

LOCATION: The property is wonderful. It's situated in an isolated corner of the the beautiful Lake Wakatipu, which is backed by an incredibly snow capped mountain range. It's has the feel of a homestead, surrounded by mountains, horses, cows, trees, water, nature, sheep.

SERVICE & FOOD: Both are terrific. The staff are friendly, helpful & genuine without being obtrusive. They will leave you alone or give you help depending on what you want. I loved the fact that many have worked there for years, it makes the place feel like home, happy and relaxed. I known there will be familiar faces when I come back. The food was excellent, as good as the world has to offer. Dinner; a fine dining experience, breakfast varied, good coffee, healthy and delicious. They even packed apples and muffins for our helicopter trip!

ACTIVITIES : The activities on offer made the very most of our too short stay. Philip is a Master at at working out what you like to do, then suggesting appropriate activities to fit in the most fun while leaving plenty of time to relax and enjoy. The helicopter trip was unforgettable and while it may seem costly, well worth the money. It allowed us to grasp the grandeur of the mountains, lakes and Milford sound. Our 1/2 day walking the Routburn track was a highlight and of course free! (again Phillips suggestion) A remarkably beautiful walk in superb forest along the Dart River. We followed that with an excellent massage before drinks with other guests and an superb dinner.

Our room was lovely - very large, big bathroom with huge soaking tub, large comfortable bed with deep fluffy down duvet, large patio with gorgeous view over the mountains & jetty.

In summary, it was a great experience & worth the price. I recommend this to anyone considering it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Oh-so-relaxed
We were all so pleased to read how much you enjoyed Blanket Bay, particularly as you have experienced so many great hotels in the Small Luxury Hotels group.
It was a pleasure putting together your itinerary for you; as you saw, it certainly pays to take advantage of the good weather. I do agree the helicopter flight to Milford Sound is one of the epic trips in New Zealand, not to be missed.
We post each of the reviews we receive on the staffroom notice board for everyone to read. All of my team wish you a happy 2014 and hope we see you back with us soon.
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We went to Blanket Bay last month for the second half of our honeymoon. The first half was on the beach in Bora Bora which was fantastic, so we arrived in chilly New Zealand hoping for a contrast to the beach, but not exactly knowing what to expect...well, it was amazing - a great compliment to our first half with the service equalling (if not exceeding) the St Regis in Bora Bora. Blanket Bay - where have you been my whole life?

We stayed 7 nights and could have easily done 7 more. My wife's parents had stayed a few years earlier and had given us the recommendation, but they had left out a few key details - the most striking is how intimate it is. The capacity is 24 (24!) and there was never more than 14 the nights we were there. Given the small capacity, you get to know the staff very well - and they were excellent. Our favorite part was having someone come down to breakfast each morning and make sure we were all set with any plans for the day. They really make sure you are happy/content and that you get to do everything you want. We took advantage - helicopter tour up to a glacier, horseback riding, hiking the Routeburn, Queenstown one night, jet boat, etc.

The attention to detail is incredible - we mostly had dinner in the dining room (the ever-changing menu/food was amazing), but one night chose to have burgers and cocktails in the game room and watch a movie...no problem! They packed our lunch for a day hike - in the most comfortable backpack and packed it perfectly. We watched the America's Cup with the entire staff one morning - which was really fun.

When we left, we felt as though we were leaving friends - not people who just worked there. We couldn't have asked for or imagined anything better. We will be back very soon!

Thank you to everyone there.

Peter + Laura

Room Tip: The chalet was awesome - I would recommend it over the lodge.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter M
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
I guess the first thing is to thank your Bride’s parents for the recommendation. This was a big call for them to refer their daughter to a place to celebrate one of the most important holidays in their life. What is so gratifying is clearly Blanket Bay offers such a variety of activities to visitors across a wide age spectrum. We are thrilled you enjoyed the lodge so much, I can assure you this was a two-way-street, it was great fun having you with us. I have passed on your kind words to all of my team (in fact I read your review at a recent staff meeting).
The only downside of your visit was we could not celebrate the America’s Cup coming back to New Zealand; well done Oracle. Don’t leave your return until the next challenge, four years is far too long!
Queenstown, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Perfection is the one word that sums up Blanket Bay. This was our 2nd visit, the 1st one being 5 years ago and we certainly won't be waiting 5 years for the 3rd visit! The lodge itself is stunning in design and looks and we had a beautiful room(were even lucky to get upgraded!). The staff without exception are so helpful and friendly and nothing is a problem. Dinner is a 5 course affair with every course beautifully presented and of course tasted divine. This comes after pre dinner drinks and nibbles where you can meet other guests if you wish or retreat to one of the many private places if you don't. The gym was small but adequate (with better views than most gyms!) and being able to relax in the spa with the double doors open to admire the stunning scenery was just gorgeous. Many thanks again to all the wonderful people that made this visit so perfect. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We had Mount Aspiring room which was lovely-spacious with it's own fire and lovely large deck ou...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank thecarrans
Philip J, General Manager at Blanket Bay, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review. It was super to see you back with us, although I do agree, a five year gap between visits was far too long!
What is also so nice to see is an increasing number of guests from New Zealand staying with us in the quieter season taking advantage of our low season rates. Time and again we get the feedback that a short break at the lodge is a great way to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or just to recharge the batteries without travelling overseas and in your case a short drive away.
I’m pleased you enjoyed The Mount Aspiring Suite, we look forward to seeing you again very soon. Best wishes from all of my team.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenorchy
Matakauri Lodge
Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel
Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa
The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments
Hotel St Moritz Queenstown - MGallery Collection

Been to Blanket Bay? Share your experiences!