“Nice hotel...but sort the TV out!”
Review of Brook Meadow Hotel

Brook Meadow Hotel
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I stayed at The Brook Meadow on business in February.

There were a couple of downsides to my stay, but outweighed by the positives.

On the downside, their spiel informs you that you will have a view over gardens etc.... bearing in mind there were very few people staying the night I was there, I was miffed to find my room overlooked a brick patio area and the car park. Oh, well, I guess that after 6p.m. in early February the view becomes irrelevant.

The other downside was the TV!!! It was probably older than some of the antique furniture in the room. It was a large silver thing on its own stand and about the size of a small car ( not quite, but you get my gist). Seriously, offering a meagre 5 channels and Cbeebies is ridiculous in 2014! Thank goodness I'd brought a book to read.

On the plus side, large room, yes, it's an old fashioned hotel, but that's part of the charm IMHO. Good sized bathroom, decent towels.

I didn't have dinner since I was meeting a friend, but I had breakfast which was very good indeed. I have to say I didn't need to eat again until evening!

Would I stay again? Not sure, nice hotel, nice location,but I felt a bit let down by being give the " Car Park View " room and the TV is a major negative for me.

Room Tip: I don't think any rooms will suffer from external noise, as Brook Meadows is down a country lane...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Tom H, General Manager at Brook Meadow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Thanks for the review

We are slowly updating our TVs so please bear with us

But glad you had a good time

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Arrived on a damp January afternoon. We were shown to our room by a friendly member of staff. The room was spacious with a lovely outlook over the garden. To be honest the room does need a lot of t.l.c though it was clean. Unfortunately had to change rooms as the central heating was eratic so we were either too hot or too cool. Enjoyed the large corner bath before going down for dinner. The meal was excellent. Fresh ingrediants superbly cooked and presented. Would definately recommend staying there. Fell in love with Evi the sqirrell so just had to bring her home with me.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope Evi is enjoying her new home!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

We came here for a friends wedding last April but just realised I never put a review on for it!

We decided to stay the night at the hotel and booked for bed and breakfast. Our friends had been married at a church and the reception and evening party were being held at this hotel with a lot of wedding guests staying over here whilst others chose the near by travel lodge! When arriving at the place it looked really nice with lots of character. The small bar area were the wedding party took place was lovely and it had a partition that opened up to a dining area and small stage and dance floor! Everything was done lovely and the wedding guests and bride and groom had a really great time food was really great and staff were lovely!

The room was generally nice but also felt and looked quite tired looking which is a shame because it could look really good, also although generally quite clean there were areas of the room that were thick with dust this isn't something that was new it was thick and clearly quite old dust, there was even a small table near the window that had clearly been hoovered around but not under for a long time as there was a perfect square of thick dust on the carpet under the table! The room is decorated with old pictures, mirrors and furniture in keeping with the hotel just unfortunate that so many things were thick with dust. Bathrooms nice with a jacuzzi bath altho again tired looking and jacuzzi bath would spit out black bits! I think at one time there was possibly aircon in room but It didn't work whilst we were there!

People on here have mentioned about noise particularly when there is an event on, being part of the wedding party this wasn't a major issue for us but I can completely see why people would complain this hotel has no sound proofing what so ever we actually popped back to our room midway through wedding party and the floors, walls and everything were vibrating I would certainly not want to stay as a regular guest and I get the impression the hotel makes its money more through events than regular room bookings so these will always come first compared to regular guests. The walls between rooms are also paper thin you hear EVERYTHING there really is no excuse for this as I believe the hotel created rooms by slitting much larger ones so therefore should have done things properly knowing part of a great hotel stay is peace and quiet in the room!

The hotel doesn't offer room service as such but you can pay a £5 tray charge to get breakfast in your room which we did it was a very good breakfast and there is plenty of space in the rooms to eat it comfortably.

My friends were so happy with their big day and the hotel staff were brilliant with this, as for the question would we return to stay, maybe if we were at another wedding but as regular guests I'm not sure I would like too but the noise issue would be a problem ( you can see from my other reviews this is a big issue for me, haha) but I do feel this is important for a great hotel stay!

We also feel the rooms need to be taken care of better it wouldn't take much for them to be so much better it is a shame for a place like this that has so much character to lose its way when it just needs a little TLC!

Room Tip: Don't stay when there's an event on unless you are part of it!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review

Thank you for your nice comments about the day and the staff

Just so you are aware we allocate rooms for the wedding party in the rooms that will be most affected by the disco and as you mentioned it did not bother you as you where poart of the wedding. If guests do want a quiet room we do our upmost to allocate quiet rooms.

As you stated you stayed almost over a year ago and I can assure you that 12 months TLC has happened since you stayed

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Booked to stay at Brook Meadow after seeing a good deal on Amazon Local.

The hotel was clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. As mentioned in other reviews, we also had trouble with the shower temperature - lukewarm at best.

The 3 course meal on Saturday was lovely.

Hotel location was great. We visited Cheshire Oaks, Chester, Parkgate - best ice creams at Nicholls - and easy to find from the motorway.

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank K_LSm1
Tom H, General Manager at Brook Meadow Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thanks for your review!

Reviewed 12 January 2014

we have just celebrated ny fathers 80th birthday at Brook meadow, and various family members from all over the country, as well as mum and dad stayed at the hotel, and celebrated this family occassion.

We have put family members up in the Brookmeadow before ,so knew of its high quality, but this weekend it excelled its usual first class service.

All the rooms were beautiful, and the breakfasts and evening meals are stunning. Together with the excellant customer service, we couldnt have had a better time. Nothing was too much bother.

It is a mark of what a fanatstic time we al had, that everyone is planning to return for our next family gathering.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Pam4377

So glad the event went well and you where happy!

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We went as a late get away for New Year's Eve. We booked after a previous visit due to the excellent service which we had on our last visit. We certainly weren't disappointed this time either.

Thinking we only had bed and breakfast we arrived to be informed we had an evening meal and access to the party the hotel were providing! The food was lovely. A 3 course buffet dinner with a starter of tartlet or smoked salmon. The mains was a choice between braised steak, game casserole or chicken in white wine sauce all accompanied with either roast or new potatoes, carrots and peas. And for pudding profiteroles, cheesecake or cheeseboard.

Perhaps the only downside of the evening was the dj! He tried his best but for the clientele who were at the event he didn't really stick to songs that would have suited them and the dance floor was often left empty because of this.

The rooms were the same as last time, in the decor of an old manor house. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the view out of our room was of the surrounding grounds.

And once again the staff were above and beyond expectation. I honestly think large hotel chains should ask members of their staff to stay here and see the level of service on offer as it's quite easily the best I've came across.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed are new year celebration

Hope to see you soon

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is one of the best I have stayed at.
Went to celebrate new year with my partner and had a fantastic time.
The staff were so friendly and nice and cant do enough for you.
The food is stunning and the chef produces food of a very high standard.
This is a very old school hotel, customer service is always the highest priority.
Not a hotel if you want modern and lots of technology.
If you just want a perfect relaxing time with lovely people then this is the place to go

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfect but I would recommend either of the two suites they have if available. We...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 186336John_D

Hope to see you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Childer Thornton
Woodcote Hotel
#4 of 6 in Ellesmere Port
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Crabwall Manor Hotel & Spa

Been to Brook Meadow Hotel? Share your experiences!