“Excellent value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langbank
Scotland
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

When I read some of the negative reviews, I wonder if I was at the same hotel. Yes there are some parts of the hotel which could be upgraded, but the good far out -ways the bad and I would return in a minute. Check in was easy and the young lady on reception (Pamela) was polite, pleasant and efficient. Our room was at 'the top of the house'. It was massive with a 6' wide bed. The view over the Clyde towards Dumbarton rock was most impressive. The room was spotlessly clean and the furniture, although dark, suited the style of the house. I've seen nicer pool areas but it was fine and the water temperature was lovely.
Dinner in the restaurant was perfect and the staff were lovely. We stayed on a DB&B basis and we could choose anything on the menu to the value of £25. Starters and sweets were £5.95 and mains ranged from under £10 to a steak at £19.50. Drink prices were pretty high but most hotels of this type are the same. My husband - a golfer - was very impressed with the fact that hotel guests could play the 4 holes at the golf academy for free. Not the best, but good enough for a 'hit at the ball' and with amazing views from the tee.
In do agree that the amount of stairs from the main house to the restaurant could be a problem for some people. I would suggest giving the hotel a call and asking for a ground floor room. These are in an annexe attached to the restaurant and bar but still with lovely views. Value for money was brilliant and I'll keep my eye out for more deals.

Room Tip: There are a LOT of stairs from the main house to the restaurant, ask for a room on the ground floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GleddochHouse, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your terrific review of our hotel and will take great pleasure in passing on your comments to young Pamela which I know she will greatly appreciate.
An overall pleasant & enjoyable stay and I look forward to you returning in the near future.

Alistair Naismith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Spa day booked through Groupon. 2 X half hour treatments, use of swimming pool, sauna & steam room and afternoon tea.
Spa staff were friendly and helpful, but overall Gleddoch is in need of a face lift. Not well organised, it costs £5 per person to hire a robe, you have to hunt down staff for a towel and the "food" arrived 25 minutes after the tea/coffee.
Overall, very badly organised

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AsK9281
Dear Guest

Unfortunately there is a nominal charge of £5.00 for robes as there are not included in the discounted Groupon deal.
Please accept my apologies for the lapse in service in the restaurant as the tea & coffee should certainly not have arrived before your food.

Alistair Naismith

Travellers are raving about these Langbank hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We almost cancelled our reservation as we were so worried about reviews here. So glad we didn't. We had a lovely break here overnight 31st March. Staff were lovely (especially reception), there wasn't a lift due to the layout of the old building (your not talking miles of walking and its well signed), gym was better stocked and huge (would be the envy of many a private sports club), the pool/steam room/sauna definitely worth a visit and gorgeous views when there. Our food was really lovely (wished I'd got the steak pie), well served by very pleasant staff too. Great value Classic Britain break. Yes, there were a few marks on my dining chair, yes there was a couple of minor repairs issues but did it bother us? Not one bit. We found this hotel to be comparable with other favourites like Crieff hydro and McDonald group hotels, so don't let other reviews scare you off. We'd definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest

Please accept my thanks for such a fantastic review of our hotel.
I am glad you mentioned the hotel layout which I appreciate does not suit everyone but is part of the character of Gleddoch.
With regard to the restaurant furniture we have tried cleaning the chairs in question which was unsuccessful so we are now awaiting quotes to recover them sometime in May.
Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

The staff at this hotel make it. From the reception to the bar to the restaurant.really obliging and friendly. But oh my gosh the hike up to our room!!. We nearly changed our mind about going to the restaurant, as it was a real trek up and down stairs round corners up more stairs,I think you get the drift, check when booking where they are going to put you, try for the ground floor its the safest bet I think. The hotel itself seemed very clean, just little things need to be sorted. Daffodils on the tables for dinner, half were dead, so who checks the room before guests go in to eat?.
Another diner complained about them and instead of throwing them away, the waiter moved them onto another table, and put the others on the customers table???.
The room was clean, but again its odd things such as the bath panel was hanging off and ones of the drapes at the window had drawing pins holding it up to the window??. The rooms are really very nice and spacious and warm and clean. Why are these issues not sorted on a daily basis. Especially the curtain as we could not pull it back we had to roll it up to let the light and air in.
But saying all that we would I think stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank bettyboo737
GleddochHouse, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.
I was very pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Gleddoch House Hotel. I have taken on board the issues you have raised with regards to the daffodils and I have requested my maintenance team to rectify the problems you mentioned with the bedroom. I am also pleased that this will not deter you from staying at Gleddoch House again and I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I had planned a girly night with my mum, sister & my niece for a joint birthday celebration. Check in wasn't until 3pm so we arranged some spa treatments before then & were told we were welcome to use the pool area before then if we wanted.

Negatives -
There are a lot of stairs so not ideal for everyone.
Pool area & changing rooms are in desperate need of sprucing up.
Hardly any of the lockers actually worked.
Check in was at 3pm - Bedding left outside various rooms along the corridor.
Room was NOT ready!! Poor domestic staff seemed harrassed & under pressure, we had to wait in the corridor with our bags/cases! Not ideal when you've just had a nice relaxing massage!

Why we were sent to the room by the receptionist when it was not ready I've no idea and with a check in of 3pm I would have thought they would have had ample time to get the rooms ready.

On the plus side -
Our room was lovely with a great view across to Dumbarton.
The spa treatments were nice & the staff in there friendly.
Breakfast was nice with a good choice.

Overall, this was a night that we had been looking forward to for a while & we were all left feeling a little bit disappointed.

Room Tip: Had dinner at the Wheelhouse in Langbank which was super!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I was dissapointed to learn that you where unsatisfied with your recent stay at Gleddoch House Hotel.
I have noted your comments regarding the leisure facilities and I am pleased to inform you that new locks have been purchased and are being fitted to any faulty locker doors in the changing rooms.
With regards to the checkin time, we at Gleddoch make every effort to meet the 3pm deadline. However from time to time our ability to do so is affected by outside influences as was the case on this occasion. This does indeed put added pressure on our maids which we try to advoid at all costs.
There was certainly a breakdown in communication between reception and the housekeeping team which we have rectified for the future through the retraining of staff in the use of our two way radio system which should be in operation at all times.

On a more pleasant note I did enjoy reading your positve comments about your stay and with them in mind i do hope this will not deter you from staying at Gleddoch House Hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

had a girlie night away at Gleddoch, it's my first time staying here, the rooms are nice but the changing rooms at the pool need some serious updating, felt really dirty, pool was ok and bigger than i remember. Spa treatments were nice although we were charged £5.00 for a dressing gown and slippers!!!! Breakfast wasn't good, the sausages tasted cheap and not cooked enough, haggis was obviously out of a tin and just looked like a big bit of stodge on the plate, potatoe scones, you couldn't get your knive through them, a steak knive would have struggled too, tea and cofee was cold and toast looked as though it had been in the toaster for 2 seconds. Fire alarm went off at 5 in the morning, no one knew what was happening, people were standing in the hotel out of the cold!!!!. Surely this can't be right, even though there was no fire. Only saw 1 member of staff whilst this was going on. Can someone train the young reception staff up on customer service & greeting guests. Whilst we were being attended to, another couple walked in at our backs, the 2 young people on reception didn't even lift their heads to them and say "i will be with you in a minute" they just left them standing there, not professional at all. The check is is supposed to be 3pm, we checked in about 3.30 and by the time we got to our room it must have been about 3.45, one of the rooms wasn't ready and the housekeeper seemed very flustered that we had turned up, reception said all rooms were ready at this point, i'm glad we had 2 rooms booked.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank evelyn a
Dear Guest

I have noted your comments regarding the changing rooms which I intend to pursue internally. Regretfully unless included in a package there is a nominal charge of £5.00 for a robe and slippers in line with most spas in the surrounding area.

I was particularly disappointed with your comments regarding our normally well praised breakfast and willl be investigating this matter to ensure there has been no drop in standards.

With regards to the fire alarm unfortunately we must comply with fire regulations which clearly state that the building must be evacuated on the activation of the fire alarm and permission to return can only be made by the Station Officer in attendance regardless of the weather conditions. These regulations are put in place and adhered to solely in the interest of the guests and staff at Gleddoch House Hotel.

I have spoken to my reception manager regarding your comments about our receptionists on duty and she has reviewed there training records and revisited areas covered in your comments.
While every effort is made to adhere to our 3pm checkin deadline regrettably outside influences from time to time can interfere causing slight delays.

On a positve note I do take some encouragement regarding your complimentary remarks about the bedrooms and the spa and hopefully we can learn from your feedback to ensure that should you return in the future then your experience will be very much different.

Nairn, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

This used to be an excellent hotel but it has plummeted downhill. Room was dirty and had a terrible outlook. The dining room windows were absolutely filthy as was the upholstery on the chairs. My husband's cooked breakfast had to be returned as most items were so hard that he could not get his knife into them. The dining room looked more like a Golf Clubhouse than the restaurant for a four star hotel. The staff were all very morose as were the guests! A lot of arguments seemed to go on at Reception over bills.I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel until it has been refurbished and the Management has got a grip!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jkmac2013
Dear Guest,

I was dissapointed to read your comments regarding your recent stay at the Gleddoch House Hotel.
We clearly failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and I am particularly concerned about your comments regarding our staff and breakfast that generally attract high praise.
Please be assured that your comments are being taken very seriously with any corrective measures being carried out at the earliest opportunity.

Alistair Naismith - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langbank
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ingliston Country Club
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Dumbarton/Loch Lomond Hotel

Been to Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!