“Faaaaaar away !”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langbank
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Faaaaaar away !”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel thinking and reading the reviews were good
When I got there , realized its in the middle of nowhere literally
On top of that , it's the weirdest set up of a hotel I've seen in my life
It's as if someone seen a hill and decided to put a hotel on too of it but not leveling the ground
Rooms are really tired
Back view ... Dirt
If you can pass that , indeed you'll enjoy the lake view but I couldn't not observe the dirt
Didn't use the pool , had no time but looked ok
The thing I would say made me check out , even though I had to stay more days in Glasgow ( just went and move to another hotel ) was cause of the bed
Omg
The bed !:-|
I am not exaggerating
It's probably the most uncomfortable bed I've slept in the last 10 years
No offense but come on now
Pillows are as thick as 2 palms joined together , same as the cover
You'd be better without a pillow , one wouldn't know the difference
They had a second pillow as an option in case u wanted to feel you're actually sleeping on someyjhng but it was so hard , woke up with a sore neck
Heat was plenty
That was ok
Stayed in room 23
Right Windows is broken
Didn't close
But didn't mind too much as the heat was on
What a waste of a heat and electricity though ...
Overall
I m not going back

• Stayed April 2014
GleddochHouse, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest

Gleddoch is clearly not the destination you had anticipated.
As a hotel it is widely used by guests who enjoy a quiet break, perhaps a game of golf or the glorious views overlooking the Clyde estuary.
I am sorry that you did not sleep well in our bed and I have ensured the pillows have been replaced in room 23 which I have to say, although our gardeners have been clearing undergrowth (dirt), has one of the most outstanding views overlooking the Clyde and Ben Lomond.

Alistair Naismith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
renfrewshire
Reviewed 5 April 2014

stayed here for one night and that was enough .may have been 4 star years ago but its not 4 star now needs a good clean and update , and the pool area is in need of an upgrade in fact the whole hotel needs it
waited nearly an hour for dinner to come and was only having a main, breakfast left a lot to be desired , scrambled egg yuk items missing from plate and someone had already used the marmalade on our table!!!!! had to fill ourselves up with toast
was woken after midnight by someones dog barking IN the hotel in the corridors
met a few guest who like myself and my friend were unhappy, one wasn't even going to stay the night because her room smelled so bad,, sadly we and the others we met wont be back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Clearly not a visit to your liking which causes as much disappointment to me as it has for you.
The issues you have raised have been discussed in full at hotel level and in light of some of your comments I have conducted a thorough investigation into them looking in particular to see if there were any comments or incidents recorded around the same time.
As stated in some of my responses I am aware that the leisure side of the business is in need of an upgrade which we have already started working on and will continue to do so though the year.

Alistair Naismith

Travellers are raving about these Langbank hotels

Port Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I stayed here with my husband Alex at the beginning of March. We stay only a few miles up the road, but needed a short break. As usual with deals, we upgrade to the next room and were not disappointed. Our room was comfortable, with great views.

Dinner was good, but we should have noted that we should have ordered sides, as these aren't included in the menu.

Breakfast was fabulous, as there was a wide array of fruit, pastries and juices on the buffet, as well as a great choice of cooked breakfast foods, including eggs benedict, that we both had.

It's a big complex that we found confusing getting to and from the eating area and could be better signposted.

I don't know what the arrangements are for disabled guests as there is no lift (as far as I could see) to the up and down arrangements to the dining area.

Al in all, however, for us it was a great experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thanks for overall a terrific review.
I have taken on board your comment regarding signage so we are carrying out a review of our existing signs to see what we can do to improve the situation.
I am pleased to inform you that our disabled guests are allocated rooms on the leisure corridor of our hotel which are on the same level as the restaurant & bar with ramped access to the top level carpark.
Many thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Scotland
Reviewed 4 April 2014

When I read some of the negative reviews, I wonder if I was at the same hotel. Yes there are some parts of the hotel which could be upgraded, but the good far out -ways the bad and I would return in a minute. Check in was easy and the young lady on reception (Pamela) was polite, pleasant and efficient. Our room was at 'the top of the house'. It was massive with a 6' wide bed. The view over the Clyde towards Dumbarton rock was most impressive. The room was spotlessly clean and the furniture, although dark, suited the style of the house. I've seen nicer pool areas but it was fine and the water temperature was lovely.
Dinner in the restaurant was perfect and the staff were lovely. We stayed on a DB&B basis and we could choose anything on the menu to the value of £25. Starters and sweets were £5.95 and mains ranged from under £10 to a steak at £19.50. Drink prices were pretty high but most hotels of this type are the same. My husband - a golfer - was very impressed with the fact that hotel guests could play the 4 holes at the golf academy for free. Not the best, but good enough for a 'hit at the ball' and with amazing views from the tee.
In do agree that the amount of stairs from the main house to the restaurant could be a problem for some people. I would suggest giving the hotel a call and asking for a ground floor room. These are in an annexe attached to the restaurant and bar but still with lovely views. Value for money was brilliant and I'll keep my eye out for more deals.

Room Tip: There are a LOT of stairs from the main house to the restaurant, ask for a room on the ground floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your terrific review of our hotel and will take great pleasure in passing on your comments to young Pamela which I know she will greatly appreciate.
An overall pleasant & enjoyable stay and I look forward to you returning in the near future.

Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Spa day booked through Groupon. 2 X half hour treatments, use of swimming pool, sauna & steam room and afternoon tea.
Spa staff were friendly and helpful, but overall Gleddoch is in need of a face lift. Not well organised, it costs £5 per person to hire a robe, you have to hunt down staff for a towel and the "food" arrived 25 minutes after the tea/coffee.
Overall, very badly organised

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AsK9281
Dear Guest

Unfortunately there is a nominal charge of £5.00 for robes as there are not included in the discounted Groupon deal.
Please accept my apologies for the lapse in service in the restaurant as the tea & coffee should certainly not have arrived before your food.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We almost cancelled our reservation as we were so worried about reviews here. So glad we didn't. We had a lovely break here overnight 31st March. Staff were lovely (especially reception), there wasn't a lift due to the layout of the old building (your not talking miles of walking and its well signed), gym was better stocked and huge (would be the envy of many a private sports club), the pool/steam room/sauna definitely worth a visit and gorgeous views when there. Our food was really lovely (wished I'd got the steak pie), well served by very pleasant staff too. Great value Classic Britain break. Yes, there were a few marks on my dining chair, yes there was a couple of minor repairs issues but did it bother us? Not one bit. We found this hotel to be comparable with other favourites like Crieff hydro and McDonald group hotels, so don't let other reviews scare you off. We'd definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest

Please accept my thanks for such a fantastic review of our hotel.
I am glad you mentioned the hotel layout which I appreciate does not suit everyone but is part of the character of Gleddoch.
With regard to the restaurant furniture we have tried cleaning the chairs in question which was unsuccessful so we are now awaiting quotes to recover them sometime in May.
Thanks again for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

The staff at this hotel make it. From the reception to the bar to the restaurant.really obliging and friendly. But oh my gosh the hike up to our room!!. We nearly changed our mind about going to the restaurant, as it was a real trek up and down stairs round corners up more stairs,I think you get the drift, check when booking where they are going to put you, try for the ground floor its the safest bet I think. The hotel itself seemed very clean, just little things need to be sorted. Daffodils on the tables for dinner, half were dead, so who checks the room before guests go in to eat?.
Another diner complained about them and instead of throwing them away, the waiter moved them onto another table, and put the others on the customers table???.
The room was clean, but again its odd things such as the bath panel was hanging off and ones of the drapes at the window had drawing pins holding it up to the window??. The rooms are really very nice and spacious and warm and clean. Why are these issues not sorted on a daily basis. Especially the curtain as we could not pull it back we had to roll it up to let the light and air in.
But saying all that we would I think stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank bettyboo737
GleddochHouse, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments.
I was very pleased to learn that overall you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Gleddoch House Hotel. I have taken on board the issues you have raised with regards to the daffodils and I have requested my maintenance team to rectify the problems you mentioned with the bedroom. I am also pleased that this will not deter you from staying at Gleddoch House again and I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.

Alistair Naismith - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langbank
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Lodge on Loch Lomond
The Abbotsford Hotel
The Abbotsford Hotel
#3 of 4 in Dumbarton

Been to Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!