“Staff are lovely, but there were issues which spoilt our stay.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf

Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Langbank
Glenrothes
“Staff are lovely, but there were issues which spoilt our stay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The two nights we spent here were our only holiday this year. We needed to stop and relax. We planned a quiet two days visiting Glasgow, reading and resting.

Our room (44) was clean and comfortable. There were two double beds and everything was as you would expect from the website photos. The room wasn't modern but it fit with the style of the hotel. The view was of a grassy bank which if you looked closely you could see part of the golf course.

The first problem we had was that there was no wifi. This wouldn't have been a big problem had we known in advance but as we were trying to relax we had decided to make plans "on the spur of the moment" not having wifi meant we couldnt access travel or attraction information. We asked at the desk on the first night, the router (which was just outside our room) was reset but nothing changed. In the morning we mentioned it again but the staff member just repeated that the router would be reset and "there is ususally wifi in that room." They didn't seem very worried about it and it was not resolved by the end of our stay.

The next problem was that there was a very noisy radiator in our room. It sounded as though there were trapped air in the system somewhere and made a sort of "boiling" noise constantly. The first night we hoped it would lull us to sleep or go off at a certain time. Unfortunately it kept my husband up all night and disturbed my sleep too. We were very disappointed as we REALLY needed the rest.

Another issue was breakfast, on the Friday morning the member of staff brought our cooked breakfast which was poorly presented and rather tasteless. I probably would have accepted this was the standard and left it at that if it hadnt been for the transformation on the Saturday morning. The lady who dealt with us was brilliant. She even asked if we wanted our tea/coffee poured or to wait. Wonderful, as this meant it stayed warm. The food was beautifully presented and tasty. I mentioned on the Friday morning that there was a large sticky stain on the curtain near our table. The member of staff saw it. However when we returned on Saturday morning it was still there looking no different. My husband wouldn't let me mention it again. He was fed up of speaking to staff about negatives when all we wanted to do was relax and have a chance to recharge.

The next problem was that after leaving on the Friday morning around 10am for some time in Glasgow we arrived back at 3pm to find that our room had still not been visited by housekeeping. We had put the green "do" sign on the door. We began to enjoy some time to read when in came the cleaner. He was lovely and friendly and cleaned the bathroom and made the bed and reported the noisy radiator for us, but again our peace was broken.

The staff responed very quickly to the radiator being reported and the maintenance man was also lovely and friendly as was the female member of staff who came with him. However it was not a simple fix and the staff were in and out of our room to try and fix the problem. We decided to leave the room and try to find a quiet place to read. We tried the two rooms off reception which seemed to suggest seated lounge areas but there were no chairs in them. Eventually we opted to sit in reception. It was not peaceful but we were able to read and also access the wifi to make plans for later in the day.

We went back to the room and the problem still was not fixed so we decided to use the leisure facilities. I did not feel comfortable going swimming as I usually prefer to shower in our room afterwards but with all the staff coming and going I didn't feel comfortable about this. I sat at the poolside to read while my husband swam. The rule was no outdoor shoes at the poolside, but I tried 4/5 different ladies lockers to store my shoes and couldn't find one which locked. There were workmen working on the steamroom/sauna with drills etc - unfortunately, again, not peaceful.

When we returned the problem with the radiator still had not been fixed. We went out for a meal.

We returned two hours later and the member of staff on reception said that the maintenance man had done his best and hopefully it would be fine for us now. We went back to our room but the noise was no different at all. When we called down the member of staff on reception was very relucant to move our room. The hotel was full, only leaving the bridal suite and the bride and groom were arriving the next day. I felt guilt, but my husband was clear, it was too noisy, we couldnt spend another night (our last of only two) without a sleep.

They moved us to the bridal suite (68) which was huge with lovely views. It was mostly clean and the bathroom was modern with a beautiful bath and separate large shower. The orange blanket which was over the huge bed was stained and we moved it off the bed straight away, but other than that and a crack in the bathroom floor this room was lovely. We didn't need all the space or the new bathroom to be honest we were just glad to have a quiet space without interruptions.

We were moved at 9pm on the Friday night. So of our two day hoilday we eventually managed 13hrs of peace and rest. We decided to check out at around 10 rather than waiting until 11am as we didn't want to leave the staff short of time to prepare the suite for the bride and groom.

A gentleman came and spoke to us at breakfast on the Saturday morning. He didn't introduce himself but I presume he was the manager. He said he was sorry for the trouble and hoped that room 68 had been better. We said it had. He said he wanted to be sure to speak to us before we left.

The staff really couldnt have been lovlier. The issues we seemed to be having were not something which they seemed able to resolve until eventually moving us. We're just disappointed that the short time we had to rest and read was so disturbed.

It would be lovely to think we could return to give this hotel a second chance but as we booked this through a special deal with superbreaks and it was half price, I doubt we will be able to afford to return.

Room Tip: Bridal suite is the best. Lots of stairs so if this is a problem, tell the staff. Avoid room 44 unle...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank singing_kitten
GleddochHouse, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Guest

Clearly from reading your review you encountered some issues during your stay. Particularly the radiators which were unfortunately difficult to fix depite being bled several times.
I woulld say in our defence with regard to the sauna that it has now been totally refurbished to the benefit of our guests albeit not you at the time.
I would consider that you have been very unfortunate throughout your stay with peace & quiet being one of the most often recorded comments by our guests overall.

Alistair Naismith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I frequently stay at this hotel when I am travelling in Scotland on business. The rooms are a very good size, nice big and very comfortable bed. The facilities are good, offering a swimming pool but no gym. The staff are always polite and courteous and have always sorted any little issues I have had, quickly and without fuss.

The food is ok, although I have found the menu to be limited and sometimes struggle to find something I would like to eat. I would expect the menu to be better being a 4 star hotel.

Overall the hotel is usually extremely good value for money offering a nights stay for around £50.

Stayed August 2014
GleddochHouse, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for a terrific review and I am pleased to inform you that we will be launching a new menu in the next couple of weeks having listened to our customers comments.

Cupar, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Incompetently managed, poorly maintained, staff friendly but generally untrained.

Examples; breakfast had sticky menues, lack of both salt and pepper, chipped crockery, dirty cutlery and cold toast. At dinner we were offered drinks 3 times, the neighbouring table had to wait 15 minutes then asked for assistance. The food was mixed in quality between excellent and wouldn't feed to the dog.

The room had a very small "double" bed which was very soft and had one pillow each. We asked for two more pillows and were assured they would arrive, but were given extra towels instead!!! Our shampoo and shower gel were removed after one night but they did replace them with milk and t bags!!! Still don't know where our bin went to, the cleaners took it away and despite asking for a replacement, it never reappeared.

You couldn't make it up

Having said all that the staff did smile a lot and we can now laugh about it.

NOT GOING BACK

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GleddochHouse, General Manager at Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest

A very amusing review from February this year?

We of course know nothing about the issues raised and find it strange that it has taken 6 months to submit the review. Or is it just a reaction to one of the previous reviews where the reviewer stated that it had taken her a year to submit her review.

Alistair Naismith

Travellers are raving about these Langbank hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked this hotel when I went to watch the Commonwealth Games. On arrival, the receptionist was warm, friendly and welcome. Also, quite informative of where to go in the city centre. The allocated room was spacious and nicely furnished. The TV could be bigger as well. The bed wasn't that comfortable but adequate for a good night sleep. Unfortunately, was in the main part of the building so the room didn't have views of the river Clyde which we saw on the way. Nevertheless, went for a walk around the grounds which were well kept. The Spa and Gym was clean, adequately furnished and well used. There were parts of the building where the entire length of the carpet in the corridor was dirty (Not sure if this may be due to muddy shoes or poor housekeeping) Didn't use the restaurant however the other guests I spoke to highly recommended it.The views overlooking the River Clyde from the hotel were stunning which added to the air of tranquillity to the place. For the golf enthusiasts, I would definitely recommend it. What might be a little off putting is the distance to Glasgow centre (about 30mins drive) although there is a train station close by. Overall, I would stay here again and recommend it especially if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Dear Guest

Thanks for a great review and yes the carpets are subjected to golfer and country walker traffic.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards

Fife, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

so, it's taken me far too long to write this review - a year to be exact. Myself and my boyfriend for our 2 year anniversary booked a trip to Gleddoch for two nights just to get away for a bit. It has a beautiful pool, gym, spa centre and golfing retreat. The restaurant was fantastic (especially for breakfast - I'd highly recommend this) and all-in-all we had an amazing time. We did notice that there were some things wrong with the room that may have beebn overlooked - half empty toiletires in the bathroom, dust on the windowsill and a stain on the duvet. It seemed as if the room hadn't been cleaned to a hotel standard but we'd arrived late at night on our first evening there and didn't want to cause a fuss, There was a Wedding that weekend so I imagine the hotel was under pressure as it was. So we left a note in the comments about the problems with the room just to make sure it doesn't happen with future guests.

The response I got was unreal - The manager of the establishment emailed me directly after a few days with a sincere apology advising us that she had serious words with the cleaning staff and that this wouldn't happen again. She offered, as a gesture of goodwill (please note there were no hard feelings to begin with as we had a superb time anyway!) a free night at the hotel with dinner and breakfast included. Naturally we took the offer, who wouldn't?

The room we got was the honeymoon suite (bigger than my first flat) with a massive double bed, view out the front of the hotel, lounge with 2 TV's, stand up shower and bath tub - perfection. We decided to dress to the nines for this occassion and thank goodness that we did, we were treated like royalty by the waiting staff - one waitor in particular (sorry, I'm terrible with names) who was a young chap, very funny and took a genuine interest in us. We were even offer a FREE bottle of wine from the wine list (some were £30-50 a bottle) how generous is that? We didn't accept this though, we had been far too spoilt already and frankly myself and my boyfriend despite being 22/23, look like teenagers.
I ordered the mushrrom risotto which was amazing, and my boyfriend had chicken with haggis potatoes. This was probably one of the best meals we've had in a hotel.
We then went for a late night swim, exactly the same as we did with our previous stay. The pool is pretty big and tends to be quiet, there's steam rooms to use aswel.
In the morning breakfast was amazing too - we decided to go all out. Cooked breakfast with a sweet waffle on the side. SO GOOD.

I canot recommend this hotel enough - even a small problem was turned around with a lovely gesture. If you're considering coming to this hotel - just do it! you won't regret it.

Room Tip: book the honeymoon suite!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dale R
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to put things right. I am still in contact with Elaine so I will take great pleasure in bringing the review to her attention also.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our welcome was warm and helpful. Room pretty basic and tired though plenty of space. Ceiling creaked and the family above spent happy hours running about at night so poor sleep. Our beds were never made properly, merely straightening the quilt but never the sheets. A non-working bedside light was reported but never dealt with. Had asked for a wake-up call on our second morning which was made on time - unfortunately, this call was repeated every morning from then on despite having asked for it to be cancelled. On departure were charged for a meal when we were at Ibrox - when I pointed this out, the receptionist was very grumpy with us and reluctantly refunded us the amount (£85.00) and only after consulting her superior. Left with a sour taste in the mouth. Over all, a tired hotel in need of upgrading and training for their staff, adequate if you haven't got high expectations. This was not value for money (£935 for 6 nights B&B!). As we had paid in advance we could not withhold a part of the charge which we would have done if it had been presented to us at the end of our stay. But a beautiful setting for the golf course which was immaculately kept.

Room Tip: Get upstairs definitely not ground floor. Or find somewhere cheaper and better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Sorry you did not enjoy your stay.

The rates were a higher than usual due to demand around Glasgow while hosting the Commonwealth games.

Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Stunning location although let done with some areas. Certainly could do with a little updating. Went to a recent wedding and the ceremony room was a complete let down if it wasn't for the chair covers then it would have looked like any big standard venue

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank 5babies2013
Dear Guest

I have got to disagree with you on this one.

The Garden Room at Gleddoch House is a fabulous venue for a wedding ceremony or wedding itself with terrific windows allowing natural light and with access onto a veranda with one tof the best views of the Clyde estuary you could find anywhere.

All in all a stunning wedding venue.

Alistair Naismith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Langbank
Mar Hall Golf & Spa Resort
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Ingliston Country Club
Ingliston Country Club
#2 of 3 in Bishopton
Lodge on Loch Lomond
Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Dumbarton/Loch Lomond Hotel

Been to Gleddoch Hotel, Spa & Golf? Share your experiences!