“Experience of a lifetime”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Narok
Maji Moto Maasai Cultural Camp
Ranked #3 of 22 Speciality Lodging in Narok
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The idea for this camp is only surpassed by the execution. Somehow they pulled off a mix of western comforts in accommodations (the food was delicious!!) while completely embedded in a traditional nomadic Maasai experience. Knowing that your time there is helping rescue and house young women and support the adjacent widows' village just adds to the spiritual. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank that_victor
There are newer reviews for Maji Moto Maasai Cultural Camp

Reviewed 9 November 2013

If you are looking for an incredible cultural experience in Kenya, look no further. My husband and I brought our three young daughters (ages 5, 9 and 11) to spend two nights with Salaton and his impressive team at Maji Moto Cultural Camp, and it was truly one of the most extraordinary experiences we've ever had. Despite spending two full weeks in Kenya, I am quite sure that what my daughters will bring home with them are the stories of warrior training, hiking the hills and learning about the plants and animals of the Maasai region, beading with the widows, playing with the village children, bathing in the hot springs, chanting and singing around the campfire, and spending a fabulous afternoon at the local primary school. Two days felt like two months when we think about all that we learned and experienced at the camp. The accommodates where comfortable and basic in the best way, the food was simple and delicious (my kids ate better here than at any restaurant we've been to along our trip), and the team of Salaton, the warriors and Rose, our lovely female Maasai hostess, made us feel like members of their family from the moment we arrived to the sad moment we departed! My girls are begging to go back and stay for longer next time. We can't recommend Maji Moto Cultural Camp highly enough - wishing everyone could experience it for themselves!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank blair d
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had a fantastic time at the Maji Moto Maasai Camp. It was a really different kind of experience and a great combination of relaxation, education and socialisation. I stayed in a mud hut (with some "western" amenities) which was cool and comfortable in spite of the heat outside. The meals were simple and delicious. I learned many things about Maasai culture, including some of the very worthwhile projects that Salaton (the tribal chief) is supporting. I visited the school and the Widow's Village, hiked up Loita Hill and did a two-day trek into the bush, accompanied by warriors! My week concluded with a game drive in Masa Mara, with Salaton as my guide. A wonderful vacation!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had the unique experience of spending three days at the Maji Moto Cultural Camp last month.It was the highlight of of our visit to Kenya.And it has been one of the unique experiences I have had in my numerous trips to Kenya over the years.We were thoughtfully cared for by Chief Salaton-literally day and night- and his team of pleasant,very attentive and caring Maasai youth.We learned about the present day realities of their village and also were out for walks in the surrounding areas.Food (vegetarian by request) was wholesome and tasty and all basic needs were provided.If you are interested in more than a 'touristy ' experience this is a wonderful place to start!
And such silence!as opposed to our every day life surrounded by noise...
We added on a one night stay at a camp close to the Maasai Mara reserve.The animal viewings were excellent and the experience of driving in an open vehicle made this a richer experience, enjoying the most unique and grand scenery as well.
One caveat:the cost for the one night accommodations and meals for one night by the Masai Mara reserve included in the package did not justify the cost.
I plan to return there next year to the Maji Moto Camp and will recommend to all my friends and family visiting Kenya

Room Tip: The accommodations are very rustic,similar to the living quarters of the Maasai people.If you need...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 August 2013

If the idea of cultural tourism makes you cringe, then this demonstrates just how successful it can be. Run by an inspirational and savvy chief, the project supports various local initiatives such as a school for girls running away from forced marriages and circumcision, plus a camp for widows left destitute by the death of their husbands. Plus a whole bunch of Maasai being trained as tourist host and cooks. If all this reads as a bit dour and serious then rest assured all this done in a way that is clearly on their own terms, while managing to draw you in an unforced way. I dreaded the "warrior training" session, but it turned out to be little more than an excuse for a hugely enjoyable Maasai equivalent of dodgeball. The camp provide an excellent service that gives you a few insights into the complex and rich Maasai culture. It was without doubt the highlight of my trip to Kenya.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank korokoro
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Staying at the Maji Moto camp was one of the best experiences I had in Kenya. All the the village people who worked there were so accommodating yet I still felt like they welcomed us into their every day living. The food was amazing and fresh. I never felt "scared" of what was being served. They cut fresh fruit, serve ginger tea and popcorn as snacks too. The managers knew our needs and honored the things we consider to be common sense like cleanliness and nourishment. They "get it" more than other "eco resorts" I've been to. Yet, I always felt like a member of the village there rather than a tourist. They just have it down! You have to go to see. Show up, and your eyes will tear up when you have villagers singing and dancing for you and loving it. Oh and get I mention there's hot springs....hot springs!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank VPDub
Reviewed 22 December 2012

My 19 year old daughter and I spent a week at the Maji Moto camp, including time at the children's school and going on safari led by the wonderfully warm and astute Masaii warriors. Susan Olofson Travel made it all so easy and we never once felt like a "tourist" but more like family who were getting to experience an amazing part of the world. Susan could customize the trip to what we needed and we got the best of everything. Salaton Ole'ntutu, the tribal chief, was the most gracious host, welcoming us to his village and sharing his passion for preserving their culture and traditions. The lodging was just right - comfortable, clean, safe - and yet we felt like we were in the middle of their way of life. The safari was better than any others I've ever been on.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marie M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narok
Maji Moto Eco Camp
The Nubian In The Mara
Lexington Hotel
Lexington Hotel
#4 of 4 in Narok

Been to Maji Moto Maasai Cultural Camp? Share your experiences!