“Excellent!”
Review of Moreton Park Hotel

Moreton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chirk
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Good value for money, comfy family room on two floors, very clean. Yummy breakfast, polite staff. A big thank you to the lady (AJ?) who returned my sons cuddly toy via post very quickly after we accidently left it behind. We will be returning next year.

Room Tip: Room15, family room was nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Do not be fooled by the professional photographs, the hotel needs a make over - it is a 2 star at best.

Dislikes:
Pool not on site.
Restricted pool times for children ( this is not made clear on booking.com, laterooms etc.)

Children are heavily restricted in the spa (which is 5 mins away), in terms of where they can swim and facilities they can use.

Leisure/ spa staff rude, impolite, unprofessional - in particular the lifeguard.

When my daughter was swimming in one of the lanes I was told very rudely by the lifeguard to "get HER out of the lane", the lifeguard also refused to give his name when asked. His behaviour continued to be inappropriate and other guests were taken back by the display.

When hiring staff to deal directly with the general public, I believe that a robust recruitment procedure should be in place to ensure that only suitable people are in contact with children and families. Staff should also be aware that people of all cultures and backgrounds should be welcomed, and that they are representing the company. (I hope this is the case at the Lion Quays Country Club as I struggled to identify evidence of customer service/care, with the exception of one receptionist who is an asset).

Moreton Park rooms-

The receptionist at Moreton Park gives you a warm welcome.

Sofa in hotel room used as an extra bed (this is not a sofa bed, just a regular sofa.)
Beds were uncomfortable - we had no sleep.

Hotel requires great refurbishment.

Hotel information not relayed to guest efficiently (eg discounts for evening meals, leisure restrictions).

Restaurant-

Steak was not cooked as requested in restaurant (my med/well steak came to the table burnt, and then a second time rare.)

Conclusion -

I think if you are a young/older couple with no children accompanying you, you will proberley have a different experience.
If you are used to going to chain hotels such as Holiday Inn or the Hilton and/or if you normally go to 4* plus, stick to that and pay the extra (trust me this is good advice).

Also we noticed the amount of caravan parks around the area and Llangollen, which would also be a good choice on account of the scenery.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank serena j
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Before making a reservation with this hotel please take the time to read these facts concerning the attitude and performance of staff and management, because the customer ethos may impinge upon your booking and stay. Please also check through some of the other negative comments because there are similarities. Unfortunately I did not read them and regretted it.

The money I lost on my booking was only £22, but I am providing my feedback as a matter of principle.

I booked 2 nights through Booking.com. The total price for the double room with breakfast was individually itemised on the booking form. The breakfast was indicated as an additional option.

The price for the stay was not due to be paid until arrival. Upon arrival I therefore immediately asked the receptionist if our breakfasts were booked. She said they were not. In view of the fact that we were meeting local friends for lunch we decided to not have breakfast and agreed this was in order, with the receptionist. She also said that we should wait and inform the hotel if we required breakfast for the second morning; otherwise there would be a charge if we confirmed it there and then. Again we decided not to have the breakfast so did not subsequently confirm it.

At check out when I went to pay our bill I was told that payment had already been taken and that we could simply depart. I was not at all comfortable with this as nothing had been processed concerning payment upon arrival and no receipt was now being provided. I requested a receipt, only to find that breakfasts had been added to our bill. I wanted the cost deducted but was informed that this person on duty did not have the authority to refund, so we were told we would have to wait for the manager to get in touch. We left our phone number.

The next day we received a phone call from someone other than the manager who went over the same ground in a negative fashion, and again said they did not have the authority to make a refund. This call seemed pointless.

I then felt it necessary to send an e-mail to the hotel explaining the circumstances of our check in and requested they speak to the receptionist in question. The next day we received another phone call from this very receptionist, who was most unhelpful, and refusing to accept responsibility. She said the manager who would not contact us, was not prepared to make a refund for the breakfasts. Rather than discuss the issue she simply wanted to talk over me, constantly repeating the fact that we had booked online, the manager was not prepared to refund or provide a credit for the untaken breakfasts, and that was an end to it. She said we could write further if we wished. There was not much point really, considering our experience with the staff and management.

To conclude:
There have been similar negative comments concerning staff and management attitudes.
The staff we dealt with at reception seemed incapable of dealing with customer complaints. Staff training on this matter appears totally inadequate.
No member of staff seems to have authority to resolve complaints. They are also quite incoherent when discussing matters.
My complaint was subsequently made in writing. I was not given the courtesy of a written reply.
The manager was not prepared to speak to me directly. This is a distinct problem and poor customer relations considering the aptitude of the staff.

I have stayed in many hotels and have never had this experience before. We have friends in the area which is why we stayed there. We will absolutely not be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JWeismuller
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

I have to say the pictures of the hotel make it look better than it actually is.

First impressions aren't brilliant, even though staff is friendly enough. The place doesn't smell all that good, and the furniture and fittings are a bit worse for wear.

However, the room was very good (room 3, on two floors, was EXCELLENT). The bed was very comfy (best night's sleep in a long time), and shower was good.

Breakfast very good, but make sure you allow yourself time, as after 10 am (weekends) the food just disappears and you no longer feel you want to be there.

Overall, good experience especially considering the price, location and good night's sleep.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This is our second time staying at this great hotel. It is a sister hotel of the Lion Quays which is situated literally up the road on the other side of the roundabout, and whilst it has picturesque views with canal moorings and the health club, in my opinion the Moreton is that little bit better. We stayed at the Lion Quays last year and thoroughly enjoyed our break, however the Moreton was that bit more homelier with very good helpful staff from receptionists, "AJ", Eileen and Jackie to the housekeepers and the bar and waiting staff.
The food is varied from a very reasonably priced menu with lots of options and I have to recommend the carvery, Wednesday nights and Sunday's. We had to wait only for a short while for our drinks but this was because the restaurant was full. It is merely a comment not a criticism.
The breakfast menu is also varied and the cooked breakfast a must. There are even mugs in the bedrooms (the drinking type mugs). The facilities of the Lion Quay are available to guests at the Moreton.
All in all a great stay and we will return without hesitation, our son is special needs and nothing was a problem for him especially the ice cream. Ideal for the tourist type activity from walking along the canal tow path accessed via the nearby "Poachers" pub car park or leisurely drives to nearby Oswestry, Llangollen, Chirk to further afield but still near, Wrexham, Welshpool, Shrewsbury and Chester. We also drove to Bets y Coed via Llangollen and did the trip from the hotel to Holyhead in 1 hour 40 mins.
I fully recommend this facility if you are in the area on holiday or business. We look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: If you have any family requirements(3 people) request the atrium rooms, theses rooms are spacious wi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Olga P
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel,couldn't fault a thing,Room 35 was ours,bright and airy,spotlessly clean,comfy beds,powerful shower,massive fluffy towels,complimentary tea,coffee,biscuits,flat screen tv,even a fan in the room, you can also use the pool and spa facilities at the sister hotel which is about a 5 min drive away. Breakfast plentiful,sausage was a bit cheap but perfectly edible ,staff friendly and polite. Great garden centre next door, well worth a look around.We went into Wrexham to eat on two nights, we found a great Indian restaurant called Black Peppers,superb food and free Baileys at the end of the meal hence a second visit! Visited Lake Vyrnwy great bird watching hide there and beautiful surroundings,also went to Glassblobbery in Corwen ,Llangollen a town nearby and a craft centre in Corris where we bought a sculptured moon gazing hare, they also sell the famous smoking nostril dragons too. All in all we had a great trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Maxine B
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed over night at this hotel it was a good stay room was big it was a twin room shower was good and strong and towels were fresh the beds were very comfy
Eat in the pub next door had a very good meal the menu was a bit limited and it was not cheap but food was proper chef cooked and a good portion
Had breakfast over there the next morning it was a very good standard and we had free wifi to work out the days plans
The staff were very welcoming the lady on the reception was really nice and the breakfast girls were very well organized
only comment is that the room we stayed in was noisy with road traffic noise and its a busy road all night

Room Tip: as far away from the road as possible
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chirk
Lion Quays
#3 of 10 in Llangollen
Travelodge Wrexham
Travelodge Wrexham
#5 of 10 in Wrexham

Been to Moreton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!