“Overnight stay - cricket players”
Review of Moreton Park Hotel

Moreton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chirk
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We arrived late, which we had already advised motel, as we were travelling from south after various cricket matches and would be arriving individually. Found the staff unhelpful and we could not get a drink after travelling nearly 300 miles, as it was outside bar hours. Rooms etc., were very good and could not fault breakfast. Pity they could not be more accomodating.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We read the mixed review prior to booking. We are three male pensioners and booked three separate twin rooms. We found the staff and standard of the rooms to be excellent. Yes its very conveniently adjacent to the A5 and associated road noise but no problem. The adjoining restaurant supplied us with the necessary refreshments at reasonable prices. Will visit again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the corridor fire doors. Inconsiderate guests let them slam shut.
Reviewed 2 October 2013

As 4 adults we chose the moreton lodge for many reasons cost, location and facilities being the 3 main. The rooms in the hotel were very good and the staff could not do tomuch to accommodate any request we had. North wales was easily accessable from the accommodation. The pub on site which served up breakfast which was first class and I think the most picky of people would have any cause for complaint they then served food all day so after a day out there was noo need to go looking for somewhere to eat and unless you wanted to eat the same thing thete was no need as the menu was extensive. The staff were attentive but not obtrusive and on the whole very friendly we will be recomending the hotel as well as staying there again but a big thankyou to all the staff for making the stay more enjoyable

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed here while touring the UK. Relations had booked and paid this one for us.
Room 24, good size room. Excellent buffet breakfast. Loads of car parks.
I would stay again and would also recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Good value for money, comfy family room on two floors, very clean. Yummy breakfast, polite staff. A big thank you to the lady (AJ?) who returned my sons cuddly toy via post very quickly after we accidently left it behind. We will be returning next year.

Room Tip: Room15, family room was nice.
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Do not be fooled by the professional photographs, the hotel needs a make over - it is a 2 star at best.

Dislikes:
Pool not on site.
Restricted pool times for children ( this is not made clear on booking.com, laterooms etc.)

Children are heavily restricted in the spa (which is 5 mins away), in terms of where they can swim and facilities they can use.

Leisure/ spa staff rude, impolite, unprofessional - in particular the lifeguard.

When my daughter was swimming in one of the lanes I was told very rudely by the lifeguard to "get HER out of the lane", the lifeguard also refused to give his name when asked. His behaviour continued to be inappropriate and other guests were taken back by the display.

When hiring staff to deal directly with the general public, I believe that a robust recruitment procedure should be in place to ensure that only suitable people are in contact with children and families. Staff should also be aware that people of all cultures and backgrounds should be welcomed, and that they are representing the company. (I hope this is the case at the Lion Quays Country Club as I struggled to identify evidence of customer service/care, with the exception of one receptionist who is an asset).

Moreton Park rooms-

The receptionist at Moreton Park gives you a warm welcome.

Sofa in hotel room used as an extra bed (this is not a sofa bed, just a regular sofa.)
Beds were uncomfortable - we had no sleep.

Hotel requires great refurbishment.

Hotel information not relayed to guest efficiently (eg discounts for evening meals, leisure restrictions).

Restaurant-

Steak was not cooked as requested in restaurant (my med/well steak came to the table burnt, and then a second time rare.)

Conclusion -

I think if you are a young/older couple with no children accompanying you, you will proberley have a different experience.
If you are used to going to chain hotels such as Holiday Inn or the Hilton and/or if you normally go to 4* plus, stick to that and pay the extra (trust me this is good advice).

Also we noticed the amount of caravan parks around the area and Llangollen, which would also be a good choice on account of the scenery.

1  Thank serena j
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Before making a reservation with this hotel please take the time to read these facts concerning the attitude and performance of staff and management, because the customer ethos may impinge upon your booking and stay. Please also check through some of the other negative comments because there are similarities. Unfortunately I did not read them and regretted it.

The money I lost on my booking was only £22, but I am providing my feedback as a matter of principle.

I booked 2 nights through Booking.com. The total price for the double room with breakfast was individually itemised on the booking form. The breakfast was indicated as an additional option.

The price for the stay was not due to be paid until arrival. Upon arrival I therefore immediately asked the receptionist if our breakfasts were booked. She said they were not. In view of the fact that we were meeting local friends for lunch we decided to not have breakfast and agreed this was in order, with the receptionist. She also said that we should wait and inform the hotel if we required breakfast for the second morning; otherwise there would be a charge if we confirmed it there and then. Again we decided not to have the breakfast so did not subsequently confirm it.

At check out when I went to pay our bill I was told that payment had already been taken and that we could simply depart. I was not at all comfortable with this as nothing had been processed concerning payment upon arrival and no receipt was now being provided. I requested a receipt, only to find that breakfasts had been added to our bill. I wanted the cost deducted but was informed that this person on duty did not have the authority to refund, so we were told we would have to wait for the manager to get in touch. We left our phone number.

The next day we received a phone call from someone other than the manager who went over the same ground in a negative fashion, and again said they did not have the authority to make a refund. This call seemed pointless.

I then felt it necessary to send an e-mail to the hotel explaining the circumstances of our check in and requested they speak to the receptionist in question. The next day we received another phone call from this very receptionist, who was most unhelpful, and refusing to accept responsibility. She said the manager who would not contact us, was not prepared to make a refund for the breakfasts. Rather than discuss the issue she simply wanted to talk over me, constantly repeating the fact that we had booked online, the manager was not prepared to refund or provide a credit for the untaken breakfasts, and that was an end to it. She said we could write further if we wished. There was not much point really, considering our experience with the staff and management.

To conclude:
There have been similar negative comments concerning staff and management attitudes.
The staff we dealt with at reception seemed incapable of dealing with customer complaints. Staff training on this matter appears totally inadequate.
No member of staff seems to have authority to resolve complaints. They are also quite incoherent when discussing matters.
My complaint was subsequently made in writing. I was not given the courtesy of a written reply.
The manager was not prepared to speak to me directly. This is a distinct problem and poor customer relations considering the aptitude of the staff.

I have stayed in many hotels and have never had this experience before. We have friends in the area which is why we stayed there. We will absolutely not be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JWeismuller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chirk
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Travelodge Oswestry
#1 of 10 in Llangollen
Travelodge Wrexham
Travelodge Wrexham
#5 of 10 in Wrexham

Been to Moreton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!