“What a mess”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
St. Lucia
“What a mess”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We came here after my suggestion that we eat some pancakes which happens to be a favorite of mine. We went up to the front desk area awaiting some attention. The guy wasn't friendly at all and had an attitude. We had to practically ask for a menu and to be seated. We made our orders and sat down for what seemed like hours. It's like we had been completely forgotten. No one came to ask if we needed drinks or any assistance. Service everywhere was just so slow and inattentive. 30 mins had passed and we still had not gotten any word as to what was going on. Eventually the guy came to say that a large table had made reservations and we would have to wait a bit before we got our food. We understood and continued waited for another 30 mins but it was just ridiculous. We had just arrived in Tobago from an early flight and had not had any breakfast as yet. We cancelled our order and left just before another table did the same.

We decided to try again the next day but this time we made an order for takeaway as soon as their doors opened up. We went to the supermarket and returned to our guesthouse where we called and followed up. It was over an hour, no guests, no lines and our breakfast still wasn't ready. How absurd is that? It's just pancakes! About an hour later we checked again and my boyfriend went to pick it up.

The price was ridiculous for such a small portion of food added on to 2+ hours of waiting time. I ordered the chocolate chip pancake and it tasted ok I guess if you disregard the fact that it wasn't too soft and spongy. The bacon wasn't any better. The tea was literally cold. I kid you not. The juice tasted like it was stale and left out in the sun from the day before. I threw it straight down the drain. The fruit cup was poorly arranged and tasted exactly the same as the fruit juice so I threw that as well.

I wouldn't recommend this place to my enemy. There are better breakfast places in Tobago or why not just buy a few groceries and make your own breakfast. That way it would be fresh and you'd know what you're eating.

• Visited April 2014

Port Of Spain, Trinidad And Tobago
“Yummy food and great service”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

A friend recommended I try the food at The Original House of Pancakes and she was so right! :)
There is a nice mix of local and international dishes, with your choice of tea, coffee and fruit juices.
The service was great too.
This restaurant is situated close to the turn-off to Pigeon Point, just after the triangle in the road when coming from the airport.

• Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
“touristy and average”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Do;t get me wrong , the pancake is not bad here, but it's not great and not cheap. Prices are similar to US prices for an OK pancake.
Also they had no fresh fruit juices, which I find surprising and disappointing since you are on a Caribbean island. The place is not specifically charming either. It's just off a road.
Overall, a forgettable experience

Visited May 2014
Zaumberg, Germany
“great food, fast service”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

i read the reviews here regarding the snail-slow-service...and was in doubt about it. when i went there, i brought my ipad and a book to read and was ready to spend 3 hours waiting for breakfast.

as soon as i was seated, a waiter took my offer for drink - i just had black tea. 2-3 minutes later he took my order for breakfast. and breakfast arrived maybe 10 minutes later...tasted very good.

went again a second day and sercive was as friendly and prompt as the first time . both times maybe 3-4 other tables were occupied and my impression was they were served very quick, too. probably owner read the negative reviews here and changed his service. now very recommendable restaurant for breakfast!

Visited May 2014
Oslo, Norway
“Love it”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Really nice place with very good pancakes and breakfast. Just wish the could improve it a bit more. I strongly recommend it, but remember its not perfect.

Visited January 2014