“Still Awesome”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Kia's Across from The Beach
Ranked #12 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2012

5 years ago I stayed at Kia’s with my boyfriend at the time. We were so impressed we told all of our friends about it and vowed to return one day (I even wrote a review!). This past week we were able to make good on our promise, spending the second part of our honeymoon at Kia’s again. As we pulled up though, the first thing that I noticed was a small restaurant on the premises that wasn’t there before. I feared that my awesome little find of 5 years ago may have changed or gotten too big. My fears were all erased within the first hour. Kias was exactly as I remembered it! Lots of greenery. Our room was bright and airy. Mike’s a bit of a germaphobe, so he/we appreciate the small staff’s attention to detail. Even the local food that they serve in the new restaurant was tasty and fit Kia’s vibe to a tee. I still recommend Kia’s for anyone looking for a cool guesthouse in Crown Point.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go one of the two studio apartments.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kia's Across from The Beach

Reviewed 4 October 2012

As a person who lived in Trinidad and knows what is a good standard of living here, I don´t understand all the bad reviews....perfect location, everyone can choose what suits them the best. The guest room clean, kitchen had all I needed, the housekeeper perfect help!, even have an ironing board! Well those who come from Europe or US, gotta know there are typical lamel-windows so the room is NOT hermetically closed and therefore at night there might be mosquitoes (but u have a net over bed, hello tropics, cool!) and u will feel like sleeping under the open sky..u will hear EVERYTHING frm the street. So take eyer plugs if u mind. Wifi poor, but is free, LOVELY garden to have breakfast (but have to walk around the house). AC working perfectly!!!! even fan on ceiling. 1Min from Storebay, awsome, walkable to airport. I recommend the guest room with shared fecillities, was there with a kid and no problem. If u studied and lived at Uni dorms, u will have a nice reminder of old times.....

Room Tip: guest room ok for those who dont want to stay for 2 weeks and enjoy look at ocean or such crap
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank blanka s
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a double room with Kia's about 6 weeks in advance of our Tobago trip. We were in direct email contact with Karen (owner) as i prefer not to book with third pary sites. Having grown up in Trinidad, I am familiar with the offerings of guest houses in the region and was expecting a basic but functional room for the price - reinforced by the negative reviews on this site. However, the level of incompetence and blatant disregard demonstrated to us by the caretaker/receptionist and the owner was truly appalling.

Firstly, our flight was delayed almost 7 hours in the UK. I emailed Karen (owner) to inform her of the change and let her know that we would be arriving a bit later. She responded quickly letting us know that was all fine and that a woman named Jocelyn would be available to meet us at the accommodation. When we arrived however, Jocelyn was nowhere to be found as there is no reception area/ or label to signpost check in. We spent about 20 minutes searching before Jocelyn appeared and informed us that the room we had booked was no longer available and that only a studio flat (more expensive) was available - for one night instead of the two that we had booked! Furthermore, she was hesitant to let us into the room as she wasn't sure whether it had already been booked for someone else...! Furious and incredibly tired after a full day in the airport and flying, I managed to argue our way into the room at the same price we had booked the original room as we were in no position to go room-hunting with all our luggage at 9pm at night.

The following morning we were fortunate to meet a woman label refrered us to another guest house where we are currently staying. When we returned our room keys to Jocelyn, she made a point of letting us know the studio was more expensive than our originally booked double room and that she had been very gracious to allow us to stay in it for the night at the same price. I couldn't believe she was still trying to get some money out of us afte all that. Surely this should be a fundamental approach in hospitality?

Anyway, after such a terrible experience, I really cannot reiterate what terrible service this is. Would not reccomend and will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Dm6407
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Booked for a double room (with self catering) via web and sent payment required. Promised to be picked up from the port on arrival but no one there to meet us. We were waiting with another guest who had a phone and so called the Hotel to be told we should wait that the driver was on another job. All 3 of us eventually took a local taxi who delivered us to Kia's where we waited for about 30 minutes before being greeted by the owner. Finally shown to our room which was facing the main road so noisy traffic was a great problem as was the loud music from a shop across the road and of course building works!! Karen called the police about the loud music but they were not interested...she got me to speak to the cops who thought I was just a moaning guest. After staying for 2 nights (to cancel off the pre-payment we had made) we found alternative accommodation nearby, much more comfortable and for the same price, and moved there for the remainder of our 2 week holiday. EWould not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: No redeeming features except to say Karen was understanding when the faults were pointed out. She di...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GlobetrotterTara
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We had booked Kia's for our vacation to Tobago based on the reviews. I figured that the reviews were basically good except for a few, my mistake. Although Karen is very sweet and kind, it would not be enough for me to ever book this place again. Let me first say the place was clean. We arrived that evening and left first thing in the morning. Upon arriving I thought the place was okay, not a 4 star place but tolerable. Well, our evening started out with bugs upon bugs coming in through the shutters that apparently do not close all the way and some of them were broken. So, my husband went and asked if they had something to put over the windows. We were given a mosquito net and sheets. We had to light mosquito coils inside the apartment and we still had tons of bugs flying in as there where more shutters that could not be covered. So right then and there we had made up our mind that we would be leaving in the morning. Well, our night got worst from there. At around 11:45 p.m. a crowd formed outside by the ATM where there is a little plaza and they were screeching their cars up and down the street as well as blasting there music as if they were in a club but an outside club. This partying went on til around 2 a.m. which of course did not allow us for much sleep. We were so frustrated and I felt that this is something that the owners would know about because you could tell that this was apparently something that is done on a regular basis, because more and more people kept pulling up and parking their cars and getting out drinking and dancing. The bed in the room was so uncomfortable as you could feel the springs on it, it reminded me of a box spring just with a little of cushion but not much because if you put your hand on the bed you could feel the springs. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that the futon is metal in the living room and it is sunken down, you can see the metal piece bent down close to the floor. Also, there is an apartment or something that is in the same facility but apparently on the other side. You could here the people's conversation, which was annoying as well. This place is not well kept and I would never ever recommend anyone take their family there as our youngest was miserable just for those hours that we stayed. Like I said Ms. Karen is very nice but if you are going to have a place like that with so much potential, take the time to fix it up and make it more comfortable for your guest. The only reason why I did not rate this place as terrible is because Ms. Karen is a nice person.

Room Tip: I only stayed in the 1 bedroom apartment so I don't know what the rooms are like but the place o...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kimberly V
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We travelled to tobago for a family holiday with a mix of family from Trinidad and from Canada. The location was very central to the beach (not quite across, but close enough), across the way was an internet cafe, however, we learned on the second night that we had access at Kia's.
It was on the main street so lots of options for eating, including at Kia's. We are a bit old-fashioned so did our groceries and cooked up some great meals in the kitchenettes. The cupboards were a little tired and needs some freshening up, but it was stocked and if there was anything missing, a quick call to 'Karen' did the trick and she was there in a jiffy!

We had a little one in tow, so it was great that Karen personalized our experience by introducing us to the inspiration for the name...little Kia herself.

We were there for 3 nights. On the first night, our room was not available for our party of 5 plus a toddler. So we were put on the lower level in two adjoining rooms. Which suited us fine, they were a bit small but well stocked and the airconditioning worked well, so we had a good night sleep. It was a hassle to move, so we said we wouldn't mind just keeping the rooms, but that didn't seem to be an option. So Karen offered to make the move easy by having our upper level room read, stocked with what we needed (kitchen-wise) and had all of our stuff moved up while we enjoyed a day about the island.

The room upstairs was very spacious, with a wrap-around balcony which was nice. Sleeping accommodations were roomy enough for our party even though there was one bedroom...it would have been ideal if there were two bathrooms or at least a one and a half.
One of our party had to sleep on the futon, which was not comfy at all. It was worn and flat and and optimal for waking up with a back ache.

Aside from those minor details, the service was great and very welcoming.
We did have a black out while we were there, and Karen visited with candles and made sure all was fine--nice touch. All was fine, we enjoyed an hour or so on the balcony watching and listening to the street sounds and birds.

If you're not looking for luxury, but reliable, safe and welcoming service, then check out Kia's.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jamnao
Reviewed 29 February 2012

This was my seventh visit to Tobago and my first stay at Kia's. In my view, it is important, when reviewing the experience of a traveller with accommodations, to reflect on the traveller's expectations. In my case, I was looking for simple accommodations at a modest price, a place that was central (within walking distance to most places in Crown Point), a room that was clean, comfortable (including air conditioning) and that offered the possibility of cooking simple meals, access to the internet through wi-fi, and staff who were welcoming but not intrusive. All of my expectations were met. While I agree with some of the negative comments posted by other travellers (for example, the noise level due to the proximity of the guest house to the main "drag" in Crown Point, the limited amount of appliances and cookware), the spirit of hospitality extended by Karen and her staff compensated for any shortcomings in these areas. I was also pleased with the food and service at the Garden Cafe - excellent value for money. If the opportunity presents itself, I would return to Kia's on future visits to Tobago. Thanks, Karen, and please pass on my thanks to your staff. Hello to Kia as well.

Room Tip: One bedroom apartment upstairs is much roomier than the studio and offers more extensive cooking fac...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo