“wonderful break away”

Ranked #4 of 20 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“wonderful break away”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I was lucky enough to be able to do a last minute timeshare exchange after Hurricane Sandy foiled my original plans. I am so glad she did. I haven't had a relaxing beach vacation in a good number of years, and this one was great. Studio room was clean and had pretty much everything, though I will list some suggestions at the end.
Other than one surly towel person, everyone was pleasant and helpful. There is pretty much everything available from soup to nuts at the mini mart, and jphammocks, fishing and snorkel gear; books, games and beach toys.
Two ripuns a day to three different beaches are free. They offer a trip of some kind most days ofmthe week, and there is often an evening event.
The flavour of the guests varies. Weekends and Mondays seem to be a lot of friends and family from Trinidad. Not very friendly, in my opinion. However, once the numbers tilted to visitors from away, there was more opportunity to mix and visit. There is plenty of space to absorb the people and the grounds and spaces are kept very clean.
Now, some considerations. As mentioned, rooms are not very sound proof. Bring earplugs. Also, they start working on the grounds at daybreak or before. Flights start well before six, am
Nd for some reason, the weekend has lots of early morning car alarms going off. If you are near the front, you will definitely want ear plugs.
Bring laundry soap for the washer, dryer
Only soap is provides, so bring shampoo, etc
Curtains are thin so lots of light comes in from the security or basketball court lights. Consider bringing a dark sheet and some clothes pins if light bothers you
No sugar, salt or spices are left in the room, so consider bringing a bit from home. Though small bags of salt are sold at the minimart
Bring various sizes of ziplock bags. Can use for left overs, or to double wrap packages in the cupboards. Though I didn't see any, this is the tropics. Think roaches or bugs.
Water is drinkable, no need to buy water, but consider bringing water bottles with you.
English novels,to leave behind. Moat library books are french or german

Room Tip: Try to get an upper room away from the basketball court and front area.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Quiltingmamma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Milton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We booked our vacation at Sandy Point through RCI. We were so excited about this vacation, but had our expectations dashed quickly at check in. Front desk workers ignored me for 10 minutes as I stood there to check in. The front desk staff weren't doing anything other than talking in an office. The one lady looked at me and knew I was standing there, but refused to check me in. I tried to stay positive because I was on vacation, but my patience dwindled. Finally, she meandered over and checked us in. The bottom line with this resort and island for that matter is that they seem to have a disconnect between their income and their customers satisfaction. It is as if they could care less if you are there or not. Accomodations were clean, but very tired and dated. We had no washclothes when we checked in and then we got three when we asked. The next day, the maid accused us of taking one of their washclothes (an itchy, skimpy washcloth) - SERIOUSLY?!? There is no soundproofing whatsoever, so be prepared to hear EVERYTHING going on outside your room. The doors are simply slatted so everything can be heard. At the beach bar, the bartender was more concerned with playing cards and watching Cricket. If you want to drink, order more than one because you may not get another. When we were leaving, we requested a shuttle to the airport. We were told this shuttle was free. They were going to charge us a ridiculous amount just to go to the nearby airport. We walked - luggage and all. We couldn't leave that place quick enough. We will never go back!!! We wrote a review on the RCI website and they never posted it so we thought at TripAdvisor, we could get the word out.
On the upside, the maintenance men were the most pleasant people on the island. The hot tub nestled in the tree and vines is pretty cool.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank TopShelfTraveler
Auburn NY
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Arrival at the airport - I did ask them by email prior to arrival to pick us up, but still had to call them when we got there. However, my cell phone was roaming and the pay phones were impossible to figure out. The information room in the airport was very friendly and let me use their phone to call. So make sure you have their phone number with you when you arrive. They were literally only 10 minutes away.

Check-in isn't until 4:00. We arrived at 1:00 and were told that we would be notified when our room was ready. They locked our bags up and showed us where to change and we went to the beach while we were waiting. I don't like to be pushy, so we waited by the beach for someone to come get us, like they said they would. We also sat at the bar and had a drink and met a couple other guests who were waiting to have their rooms changed. It was around 6:00 that I decided enough was enough, and I went to the lobby and they told us our room had been ready but they "couldn't find us." The resort is not so large that two people cannot be found. I was a little upset that we had to hang around for two hours longer than we had to without being able to settle into our room and unpack. That was my very last complaint.

If you are staying two weeks, there is a chance that you will have to change your room on Friday. We were lucky and had the same room the second week. It would have been a terrible imposition to have to pack all our stuff at 10 am and wait until 4 pm until we could move back in. The people we spoke with who were waiting didn't seem to mind too much.

Most of the people we met there are loyal return guests. One couple from Minnesota has been going there every year for 14 years. A lot of people stay several weeks, one couple from North Carolina stays 17 weeks every year.

The studio apartment had a Murphy bed that we left down the whole time. There is a little table with chairs, and a fully stocked kitchen. The only thing the kitchen didn’t have (that I did think to bring) was containers for left-overs. We did cook a lot and had left-overs often. We ate at the restaurant a few times and the food and service was always excellent. There is a TV with a lot of channels and a list of the channels. I think there was a radio and DVD player, but we didn’t use either.

Saturday morning they have a welcome orientation (don't worry, it ISN'T time share) where Elvira tells you about all the week's events. Then one of the island's tour operators (sorry, don't remember his company's name) gives a presentation on the island tours he provided. Then Big Dougie of Frontier Divers, the on-site dive shop, gives a presentation on the dive trips and opportunities available, including introduction to diving. Then Elvira prepares her special breakfast - DON'T MISS IT. It is a native breakfast and quite delicious. After breakfast, there is a drawing for prizes including a massage, a free dive, free trips, and meals. I won a free Windward Tour (below).

Amenities - the pool is always very clean and large enough that you aren't bumping into people. There are three outdoor hot tubs, unfortunately we found the best one on the next to last night we were there. The hottest one is in a big banyan tree at the top of the steps at the restaurant. The coolest (least hot) one is in a courtyard in the middle of several apartments. Our favorite, once we found it, was above the pool. It was our favorite because you could sit in it and see all the activities going on at the patio as well as the planes coming in, it was especially nice at night.

We didn't utilize the sauna, exercise room, tennis courts, playground, volleyball area, kayak, clubhouse games, or hammocks. We also never used the outdoor grills, but we saw them being used every day.

The mini-mart truly had everything you could want or need. And the prices were very reasonable compared to the grocery store. The only thing we really needed to get at the grocery store was beer. They even have a large selection of souvenirs reasonably priced. They allow you to charge your room but at the end of your stay, you do have to go and either pay or give them your credit card as their charges are separate from the resort.

I had a full-body massage by Nathaniel which was very nice. He will put his table anywhere you ask him to.

Activities - they have fun things planned for each day of the week. Check their website for a list, but just know that if there are not enough people, the activity does not happen. The first week I wanted to go on the bird watching tour but it was cancelled due to the fact that only two other people signed up. They do call you in advance and let you know. Also, Bingo was cancelled both Mondays due to no one signing up. I was looking forward to the silly game.

I took the Wednesday shopping trip into Scarborough which was a nice way to see the sights. Elvira takes you to several shops - including a farmer's market with fresh fruits, vegetables, spices, and other food items. Unfortunately, we bought those items at the supermarket prior to going to the farmer's market, so if you like fresh food, save these items for Wednesday. Elvira may also make special quick stops if you ask her. She loves her cow heel soup and had to stop at a local vendor for some.

Sunday School is a must. You take a van there from the resort, the hours are 8:00 until midnight but our driver Nigel is happy to take you back whenever you want. There are several local vendors selling crafts, clothes, food, jewelry, and art. The main attraction is the music. Unfortunately, we were there at the end of Carnival, so all the steel drum bands were practicing in Trinidad so we didn't get to hear a good steel drum band, which is what I wanted to see most.

Tuesday's Windward Tour was nice and included a glass-bottom boat trip, lunch, and a trip to Argyle Waterfalls. This is a walk up to the waterfall and includes some tricky maneuvering so you don't have to be athletic, but at least minimally fit and agile. Lunch at Jemma's was good but it was more a thrill to see this huge restaurant built in the middle of a tree.

I had booked a couple other tours through Yes Tourism (recommend) that picked us up at the resort.

Every morning there is fresh coffee brewing in the bar/café area. Just go down and get some. And every afternoon at 4:00 there is a pot of hot water and tea. Other reviews have mentioned cakes but I never saw any.

Internet access is very reasonable, I think it was US $20 for the week, and even less for the second week. However, it's only accessible in the lobby area. That was ok, because I didn’t feel it necessary to check my email in my room when I was 11 degrees from the equator.

There is a game room with lots of miscellaneous items you might need (including pots, pans, and other kitchen items), and hundreds of books. Sometimes they had coffee there in the morning, sometimes they didn't.

As mentioned in previous reviews, there are three beaches on Tobago that the resort transports you to: Store Bay, Pigeon Point, and Mt. Irving. We didn't go to Mt. Irving, but we did go to Pigeon Point and Store Bay. If you are looking for local arts and crafts and food, go to Store Bay. Pigeon Point didn't have any vendors, and only a very small eatery that didn't have much of anything. Also, the day we went to Pigeon Point was one of the last days of the jellyfish invasion, so the water was not swimmable. According to the leader of a tour we took, the jellyfish migrate to the island around the first or second week in February to be food for the turtles. They aren't the deadly kind of jellyfish, just icky.

My husband went scuba diving almost every day, and a couple days I walked to Store Bay, and to “town” and felt totally safe.

All the employees were extremely helpful and friendly. The girls at the desk at first seem cold but I think they are just trying to be professional, because once we got to know them all, they were all very friendly. Tobagonians are some of the nicest people we have ever met.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we are going back in February 2014!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DebCar817
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Sandy Point Beach Club is a great place to wind down and enjoy a vacation. This hotel is located very close to the airport and arranges a pick up and drop off facility for upon request. The apartment that I stayed at accomodates up to four persons; I stayed with one other person this time, and previously I stayed with three others - both times I was comfortable. The apartment comes equiped with all the modern conveniences - iron, toaster, coffee maker, microwave, oven, refrigerator etc - and cutlery and wares, and even dishwashing liquid so you do not need to go out and buy a huge bottle yourself when you are there for a short stay. There is a small shop on-site where you can buy groceries to do your own cooking if needed.

I think that the management thinks of everything, and informs guests of what's available in a comprehensive orientation session on Saturday mornings. Everyone is very welcoming - from ground staff to cleaners, to drivers, to front desk personnel. I could not secure a car rental when I last stayed there, but a shuttle provided by the hotel got me to three beaches over my short stay. Lots of sport options for young and old, pool, hot tubs and lovely surroundings, it provides the perfect spot to relax and unwind.

One drawback is how popular it is! Booking at least two-and-a-half to three months in advance is strongly recommended to get your piece of heaven! I truly enjoyed my stay and look forward to being back there soon!

Room Tip: This time my room was on the ground floor, opposite a service room and there was a little difficulty...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Cellyandy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This Hotel has nice views of the ocean, great amenities like the tennis courts and hot tubs, and decent rooms but what really sets it apart from best Hotels is how accommodating and helpful all the staff are. This Hotel has great team behind it and they go well beyond the extra mile to make sure you are having a good time and that any issue you may have are resolved. What a friendly place to stay on your vacation.

Don't miss the rum punch evening!

Room Tip: The Hotel has ground floor rooms. Nice if you want easy access to sit out (expand beyond a normal si...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank M H
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed at sandy point last week and had a great holiday, staff were lovely, guests were lovely, rooms were great and the sunset was amazing (definitely the best hotel to catch the sunset) we had breakfast at the steak restaurent a few times and was always nice, the bar prices were brilliant and the staff were so genuinely helpful and kind. We hired a car through reception and were very please with the service and went on the sunday school trip which i'd recommend for a good night. Always something light going on on an evening, (free rum punch for an hour.. karaoke..) but lots of quiet relaxing places to sit outside aswell, a few local supermarkets are within walking distance and although taxis are reasonable we also walked into the town a couple of times at night to find cafes, an italian restaurent, a chinese, and a bank which is handy.

Great holiday, perfect resort.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank alex S
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I've been to this Island paradise 3 times and all 3 at the Sandy Point Beach Club, and by chance, the same room each time. Atmosphere is great, view is great, room service was excellent. Fresh tropical flowers in the room each day with the daily cleaning. Native birds on the window sill each morning with their pretty songs. Club dining was great as well as evening live entertainment. Had a personal taxi waiting each day to take us anywhere we wanted to go on the island at no extra charge. Beaches were beautiful and clean. Land and sea tours are readily available. People there are very friendly and helpful. Club management always on call for any problems which we didn't experience. Club grounds and landscaping were well taken care of. This hotel is on the west side of the island where you can watch the beautiful sunsets every night and also within walking distance of the airport. Hope to return there again and will be at this club.

Room Tip: Try to get one facing the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Magdalena Grand Beach & Golf Resort
Candles in the Wind
Candles in the Wind
#2 of 20 in Crown Point

Been to Sandy Point Beach Club? Share your experiences!